Jon Øyvind Odland
Background and activities
MD 1980, Laudabilis. Specialist Obstetrics and Gynecology 1990.
PhD University of Tromso 2000.
Professor of International Health, Faculty of Health Sciences and Department of Community Medicine, UiT, the Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø (2007-2017).
Professor of Global Health, NTNU, Trondheim (2018----).
Visiting professor, Department of Public Health, University of Pretoria, South Africa (2013--)
Visiting professor, GYN/OB Department, College of Medicine, University of Malawi (2013-)
Key National Expert, Sustainable Development Working Group, Arctic Council (2010--)
President of the Norwegian Forum for Global Health Research (2009-- 2011)
Chair of AMAP Human Health Assessment Group (2009 --).
2005-2010: Board member, Board for International stipends, The Norwegian Research Council;
2005-2009: Board member MILGENHEL, The Norwegian Research Council
2009-2012: Chair of the Board MILGENHEL (from 2011 MILPAAHEL), The Norwegian Research Council
2012 - 2015: President, International Union of Circumpolar Health.
2000 -: Teacher and supervisor in Health Education, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Public Health at Bachelor, Master, and PhD level in Norway, Russia, Denmark, Greenland, Faroe Island, Iceland, Canada, Malawi, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Australia, Argentina, and Vietnam.
Totally 18 PhD students supervised to their final dissertation, in Norway, Russia, Malawi, and South Africa.
Five ongoing PhD candidates at different stages, focused on birth registry studies, obstetrics, and public health, four of them and a post doc in the collaboration program between NSMU, Arkhangelsk, and the UiT. Supervision of 2-3 Master thesis annually since 2000. Module leader of Global Health at the International semester at the Medical school, 4th year, The Health Faculty, UiT.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health in the Border Areas of Euro-Arctic Barents Region. A Review of 30-Year Russian–Norwegian Research Collaboration Outcomes. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 17 (11).
- (2020) Health risk modifiers of exposure to persistent pollutants among indigenous peoples of Chukotka. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 17 (1).
- (2020) Maternal Serum Concentrations of Selenium, Copper, and Zinc during Pregnancy Are Associated with Risk of Spontaneous Preterm Birth: A Case-Control Study from Malawi. Journal of Pregnancy. vol. 2020.
- (2020) Evaluation Of Serum Concentrations Of Copper, Ferritin, Selenium, Zinc And Vitamin D At Birth In Women With Spontaneous Preterm Birth: A Case-Control Study In A Low Resource Country. Journal of Reproductive Medicine Gynaecology & Obstetrics. vol. 5 (055).
- (2020) Effect of Once-Weekly Azithromycin vs Placebo in Children With HIV-Associated Chronic Lung Disease: The BREATHE Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Network Open. vol. 3 (12).
- (2020) Chronic lung disease in children and adolescents with HIV: a case-control study. Tropical medicine & international health. vol. 25 (5).
- (2020) The use of a population-based birth registry to study infant mortality in an arctic russian setting. Ekologiya Cheloveka. vol. 2020 (3).
- (2019) A rare case of Waardenburg syndrome with unilateral hearing loss caused by nonsense variant c.772C>T (p.Arg259*) in the MITF gene in Yakut patient from the Eastern Siberia (Sakha Republic, Russia). International Journal of Circumpolar Health. vol. 78:1630219.
- (2019) Drivers of maternal accumulation of organohalogen pollutants in Arctic areas (Chukotka, Russia) and 4,4′-DDT effects on the newborns. Environment International. vol. 124.
- (2019) Incidence and Risk Factors of Pre-Eclampsia in the Paropakar Maternity and Women's Hospital, Nepal: A Retrospective Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 16:3571 (19).
- (2019) Composition of Gut Microbiota of Children and Adolescents With Perinatal Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection Taking Antiretroviral Therapy in Zimbabwe. Journal of Infectious Diseases.
- (2019) The atherogenic index (ATH index) as a potential predictive marker of idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a case control study. Lipids in Health and Disease. vol. 18 (64).
- (2019) Risk Factors for hypospadias in Northwest Russia: A Murmansk County Birth Registry Study. PLOS ONE. vol. 14 (4).
- (2019) Incidence and Progression of Echocardiographic Abnormalities in Older Children with Human Immunodeficiency Virus and Adolescents Taking Antiretroviral Therapy: A Prospective Cohort Study. Clinical Infectious Diseases.
- (2019) “Confidence comes with frequent practice”: health professionals’ perceptions of using manual vacuum aspiration after a training program. Reproductive Health. vol. 16 (20).
- (2019) History of tuberculosis is associated with lower exhaled nitric oxide levels in HIV-infected children. AIDS (London). vol. 33 (11).
- (2019) An increased risk of stunting among newborns in poorer rural settings: A cross-sectional pilot study among pregnant women at selected sites in rural Cambodia. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 16:4170 (21).
- (2019) Pregnancy outcomes in low-weight women. Akusherstvo i Ginekologiya. vol. 2019 (12).
- (2018) Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) as sentinels for the elucidation of Arctic environmental change processes: a comprehensive review combined with ArcRisk project results. Environmental science and pollution research international. vol. 25 (23).
- (2018) Risk Factors for Ventricular Septal Defects in Murmansk County, Russia: A Registry-Based Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 15 (7).