Jon Øyvind Odland
Background and activities
MD 1980, Laudabilis. Specialist Obstetrics and Gynecology 1990.
PhD University of Tromso 2000.
Professor of International Health, Faculty of Health Sciences and Department of Community Medicine, UiT, the Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø (2007-2017).
Professor of Global Health, NTNU, Trondheim (2018----).
Visiting professor, Department of Public Health, University of Pretoria, South Africa (2013--)
Visiting professor, GYN/OB Department, College of Medicine, University of Malawi (2013-)
Key National Expert, Sustainable Development Working Group, Arctic Council (2010--)
President of the Norwegian Forum for Global Health Research (2009-- 2011)
Chair of AMAP Human Health Assessment Group (2009 --).
2005-2010: Board member, Board for International stipends, The Norwegian Research Council;
2005-2009: Board member MILGENHEL, The Norwegian Research Council
2009-2012: Chair of the Board MILGENHEL (from 2011 MILPAAHEL), The Norwegian Research Council
2012 - 2015: President, International Union of Circumpolar Health.
2000 -: Teacher and supervisor in Health Education, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Public Health at Bachelor, Master, and PhD level in Norway, Russia, Denmark, Greenland, Faroe Island, Iceland, Canada, Malawi, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Australia, Argentina, and Vietnam.
Totally 18 PhD students supervised to their final dissertation, in Norway, Russia, Malawi, and South Africa.
Five ongoing PhD candidates at different stages, focused on birth registry studies, obstetrics, and public health, four of them and a post doc in the collaboration program between NSMU, Arkhangelsk, and the UiT. Supervision of 2-3 Master thesis annually since 2000. Module leader of Global Health at the International semester at the Medical school, 4th year, The Health Faculty, UiT.
- NRS8005 - Infection control in a Global perspective
- NRS8003 - Innovation in Global Health
- NRS8002 - Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- PH3900 - Thesis in Global Health
- NRS8004 - Scientific writing course in Global Health
- PH3901 - Thesis in global health
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) The impact of long-term azithromycin on antibiotic resistance in HIV-associated chronic lung disease. European Respiratory Journal Open Research (ERJ Open Research). vol. 8 (1).
- (2022) Emergency Craniotomy and Burr-Hole Trephination in a Low-Resource Setting: Capacity Building at a Regional Hospital in Cambodia. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 19 (11).
- (2022) Adherence to additional medication for management of HIV-associated comorbidities among older children and adolescents taking antiretroviral therapy. PLOS ONE. vol. 17 (6).
- (2022) A Children’s Health Perspective on Nano- and Microplastics. Environmental Health Perspectives. vol. 130 (1).
- (2022) Retrospective assessment of occupational disease trends in Russian Arctic apatite miners. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. vol. 81 (1).
- (2022) Geographic and Ethnic Variations in Serum Concentrations of Legacy Persistent Organic Pollutants among Men in the Nenets Autonomous Okrug, Arctic Russia. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 19 (3).
- (2022) Maternal Blood Levels of Toxic and Essential Elements and Birth Outcomes in Argentina: The EMASAR Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 19 (6).
- (2021) Prevalence and antimicrobial resistance profiles of respiratory microbial flora in African children with HIV-associated chronic lung disease. BMC Infectious Diseases. vol. 21 (1).
- (2021) MercuNorth–monitoring mercury in pregnant women from the Arctic as a baseline to assess the effectiveness of the Minamata Convention. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. vol. 80 (1).
- (2021) Indigenous women’s reproductive health in the Arctic zone of Western Siberia: challenges and solutions. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. vol. 80 (1).
- (2021) Analysis of maternal serum vitamin d concentrations at birth in women presenting with spontaneous preterm birth: A case-control study. African Journal of Reproductive Health. vol. 25 (2).
- (2021) Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances in Human Serum Samples of Selected Populations from Ghana. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 18 (4).
- (2021) Effects of air temperature on the number of ambulance calls for asthma during cold season in Nur-Sultan– the second coldest capital in the world. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. vol. 80 (1).
- (2021) Monitoring temporal trends of dioxins, organochlorine pesticides and chlorinated paraffins in pooled serum samples collected from Northern Norwegian women: The MISA cohort study. Environmental Research.
- (2021) The effect of azithromycin for management of HIV-associated chronic lung disease on right heart function: Results from the BREATHE trial. International journal of cardiology: Heart and Vasculature (IJCHA). vol. 37.
- (2021) Knowledge on postpartum depression among midwives and nurses: a systemic review. Sibirskoe medicinskoe obozrenie.
- (2021) Non-occupational exposure to pesticides and health markers in general population in Northern Finland: Differences between sexes. Environment International. vol. 156.
- (2021) Effect of azithromycin on incidence of acute respiratory exacerbations in children with HIV taking antiretroviral therapy and co-morbid chronic lung disease: a secondary analysis of the BREATHE trial. EClinicalMedicine. vol. 42.
- (2021) Selenium status, its interaction with selected essential and toxic elements, and a possible sex-dependent response in utero, in a South African birth cohort. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (IJERPH). vol. 18 (16).
- (2021) Sociodemographic factors influencing the health of pregnant women: Changes in the arctic countries over the past decades. Akusherstvo i Ginekologiya. vol. 2021 (6).