Jon Øyvind Odland
Background and activities
MD 1980, Laudabilis. Specialist Obstetrics and Gynecology 1990.
PhD University of Tromso 2000.
Professor of International Health, Faculty of Health Sciences and Department of Community Medicine, UiT, the Arctic University of Norway, Tromsø (2007-2017).
Professor of Global Health, NTNU, Trondheim (2018----).
Visiting professor, Department of Public Health, University of Pretoria, South Africa (2013--)
Visiting professor, GYN/OB Department, College of Medicine, University of Malawi (2013-)
Key National Expert, Sustainable Development Working Group, Arctic Council (2010--)
President of the Norwegian Forum for Global Health Research (2009-- 2011)
Chair of AMAP Human Health Assessment Group (2009 --).
2005-2010: Board member, Board for International stipends, The Norwegian Research Council;
2005-2009: Board member MILGENHEL, The Norwegian Research Council
2009-2012: Chair of the Board MILGENHEL (from 2011 MILPAAHEL), The Norwegian Research Council
2012 - 2015: President, International Union of Circumpolar Health.
2000 -: Teacher and supervisor in Health Education, Obstetrics and Gynecology, and Public Health at Bachelor, Master, and PhD level in Norway, Russia, Denmark, Greenland, Faroe Island, Iceland, Canada, Malawi, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Ghana, Australia, Argentina, and Vietnam.
Totally 18 PhD students supervised to their final dissertation, in Norway, Russia, Malawi, and South Africa.
Five ongoing PhD candidates at different stages, focused on birth registry studies, obstetrics, and public health, four of them and a post doc in the collaboration program between NSMU, Arkhangelsk, and the UiT. Supervision of 2-3 Master thesis annually since 2000. Module leader of Global Health at the International semester at the Medical school, 4th year, The Health Faculty, UiT.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Drivers of maternal accumulation of organohalogen pollutants in Arctic areas (Chukotka, Russia) and 4,4′-DDT effects on the newborns. Environment International. vol. 124.
- (2019) Incidence and Risk Factors of Pre-Eclampsia in the Paropakar Maternity and Women's Hospital, Nepal: A Retrospective Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. vol. 16:3571 (19).
- (2019) Composition of gut microbiota of children and adolescents with perinatal HIV infection taking antiretroviral therapy in Zimbabwe. Journal of Infectious Diseases.
- (2019) The atherogenic index (ATH index) as a potential predictive marker of idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a case control study. Lipids in Health and Disease. vol. 18 (64).
- (2019) Risk Factors for hypospadias in Northwest Russia: A Murmansk County Birth Registry Study. PLOS ONE. vol. 14 (4).
- (2019) “Confidence comes with frequent practice”: health professionals’ perceptions of using manual vacuum aspiration after a training program. Reproductive Health. vol. 16 (20).
- (2019) History of tuberculosis is associated with lower exhaled nitric oxide levels in HIV-infected children. AIDS (London). vol. 33 (11).
- (2018) Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) as sentinels for the elucidation of Arctic environmental change processes: a comprehensive review combined with ArcRisk project results. Environmental science and pollution research international. vol. 25 (23).
- (2018) Risk Factors for Ventricular Septal Defects in Murmansk County, Russia: A Registry-Based Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. vol. 15 (7).
- (2018) Prenatal exposure to persistent organic pollutants and child overweight/obesity at 5-year follow-up: A prospective cohort study. Environmental health. vol. 17 (9).
- (2018) Racial Variation in Echocardiographic Reference Ranges for Left Chamber Dimensions in Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Review. Pediatric Cardiology. vol. 39 (5).
- (2018) High prevalence of echocardiographic abnormalities in older HIV-infected children taking antiretroviral therapy. AIDS (London). vol. 32 (18).
- (2018) High HIV and active tuberculosis prevalence and increased mortality risk in adults with symptoms of TB: a systematic review and meta-analyses. Journal of the International AIDS Society. vol. 21 (7).
- (2018) Effects of refresher training on the use of manual vacuum aspiration in the treatment of incomplete abortions: a quasi-experimental study in Malawi. BMJ Global Health. vol. 3 (5).
- (2018) Sociodemographic characteristics, sexual behaviour and knowledge about cervical cancer prevention as risk factors for high-risk human papillomavirus infection in Arkhangelsk, North-West Russia. International Journal of Circumpolar Health. vol. 77.
- (2018) Prenatal Exposure to Aluminum and Status of Selected Essential Trace Elements in Rural South AfricanWomen at Delivery. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. vol. 15 (7).
- (2018) Patterns of detectable viraemia among children and adults with HIV infection taking antiretroviral therapy in Zimbabwe. International Journal of Infectious Diseases. vol. 78.
- (2018) The effect of medical social characteristics and style of life of mothers on premature delivery risks in the Arctic region of the Russian Federation. Problemy sotsial'noi gigieny, zdravookhraneniia i istorii meditsiny. vol. 26 (5).
- (2018) Adverse Pregnancy Outcomes among Adolescents in Northwest Russia: A Population Registry-Based Study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. vol. 15 (261).
- (2017) Persistent Organic Pollutants and the Association with Maternal and Infant Thyroid Homeostasis: A Multipollutant Assessment. Environmental Health Perspectives. vol. 125 (1).