Background and activities
My areas of interest lie within theoretical philosophy (mainly in the analytic tradition), especially philosophy of mind, philosophy of psychology/cognitive science, epistemology, philosophy of science and philosophy of language. Most recently I have become interested in broad issues concerning how language and mind should be seen as relating to or fitting into reality, and with metaphilosophical questions concerning the interrelationships between representationalism, realism, naturalism and the possibility of substantive metaphysics, often taking my lead from pragmatist (or at least neo-pragmatist) thinking. Two of my recent papers concern, respectively, exploring how we best should understand an externalist or relationalist view of perceptual experience and its epistemological significance, and critiquing Huw Price's global expressivism programme conceived as a form of naturalistic pragmatist alternative to traditional physicalism.
Academia.com page (online papers/preprints, CV)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
- (2018) Rortian Realism. Metaphilosophy. vol. 49 (1-2).
- (2016) Global expressivism and the flight from metaphysics. Synthese.
- (2015) Davidson versus Chomsky: The case of shared language. Nordic Studies in Pragmatism. vol. 3.
- (2013) 'Non-reductive naturalism and the vocabulary of agency'. Contemporary Pragmatism. vol. 10 (2).
- (2013) 'On envatment, experience and epistemology'. Contributions of the Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society. vol. XXI.
- (2013) ”Fighting fire with fire” Om å bekjempe skeptisisme med skeptisisme. Norsk Filosofisk tidsskrift.
- (2011) Davidson versus Chomsky: Om Fellesspråket. Norsk Filosofisk tidsskrift.
- (2008) Is naturalism a threat to metaphysics?. Norsk Filosofisk tidsskrift. vol. 43 (1).
- (2008) What is naturalism? Towards a univocal theory. Sats: northern european journal of philosophy. vol. 9 (2).
- (2005) Review of T. Crane The Mechanical Mind, 2nd edition. Minds and Machines. vol. 15 (2).
- (2003) Reasoning competence. Contributions of the Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society. vol. XI.
- (2002) Is Folk Psychology Different?. Erkenntnis: An International Journal of Scientific Philosophy. vol. 57 (2).
- (2002) Naturalised epistemology without norms. Croatian Journal of Philosophy. vol. II.
- (2002) What's really wrong with Laudan's normative naturalism. International Studies in the Philosophy of Science. vol. 16 (2).
- (2001) Does intentional psychology need vindicating by cognitive science?. Minds and Machines. vol. 11.
- (2000) Knowledge of grammar as a propositional attitude. Philosophical Psychology. vol. 13.
- (1999) Physicalism, Teleology and the Miraculous Coincidence Problem. The Philosophical Quarterly. vol. 49.
- (1999) 'Physicalism, Teleology and the Miraculous Coincidence Problem'. The Philosophical Quarterly. vol. 49 (195).
- (1998) 'The language of thought and natural language understanding'. Analysis. vol. 58.
- (1998) 'The language of thought and natural language understanding'. Analysis. vol. 58 (4).