Background and activities
Jonathan is also Editor of Integral Review and does consulting and research in leadership development using an awareness based approach.
Jonathan is driven by an insatiable curiosity about the essence of human nature and how to cultivate this essence in the service of leadership. He uses various outlets for achieving this. He currently has a position at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, where he teaches and does research on leadership development, coaching and counseling. He serves as Editor-in Chief of Integral Review, A Transdisciplinary and Transcultural Journal for New Thought, Praxis and Research. He is also a co-founder of the Center for Transformative Leadership. Jonathan’s Ph.D. is in Leadership Studies from Gonzaga University.
Jonathan practices the cultivation of leadership through consulting and leadership development program design and delivery. He brings awareness based technology to this work, focusing on how the inner workings of human nature can develop leadership capacities for today’s complex challenges. He has done this for a diverse range of clients in the US, Canada and Europe.
Jonathan has presented at numerous international conferences on topics such as leadership development, consciousness research and transformative learning. His publications have been widely read and used in graduate level leadership programs. They include: What’s Integral about Leadership? (Integral Review), Integral Leadership: Generating Space for Emergence through Quality of Presence (German Journal of Business Psychology), Leading the Future (Futures), Making Leadership Development Developmental (Academic Exchange) and Integral Leadership. Opening Space by Leading through the Heart (In C. Pearson, The Transforming Leader). He is also co-editor of Integral Education: New Directions for Higher Learning (SUNY Press).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Refleksjon som studentaktiv læringsform. Læring om læring. vol. 1 (1).
- (2016) Immunity to change revisited: Theoretical foundations for awareness based practices for leadership development. Integral Review. vol. 12 (1).
- (2015) Awareness based technologies for leadership development: utilising Immunity to Change coaching. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring. vol. 13 (2).
- (2013) You say you want a revolution? Transforming education and capacity building in response to global change. Environmental Science and Policy. vol. 28.
- (2012) Integral leadership: Generating space for emergence through quality of presence. Wirtschaftspsychologie. vol. 14 (3).
- (2011) Worldviews and leadership: Thinking and acting the bigger pictures. Journal of Leadership Studies. vol. 5 (2).
- (2010) Leading the future. Futures : The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. vol. 42 (10).
- (2010) Making leadership development developmental. Academic Exchange Quarterly. vol. 14 (4).
- (2009) immunity to change: A report from the field. Integral Review. vol. 5 (1).
- (2007) An experiment in education for states. AQAL. Journal of Integral Theory and Practice. vol. 2 (2).
- (2005) What’s Integral about Leadership? A Reflection on Leadership and Integral Theory. Integral Review. vol. 1 (1).
- (2010) Integral Education — New Directions for Higher Learning. SUNY Press. 2010. ISBN 978-1-4384-3349-3.
Part of book/report
- (2017) From ego to eco - theoretical challenges and practical implications of a "next generation" responsible leadership as a collaborative endeavor. Corporate Behavior and Sustainability: Doing Well by Being Good.
- (2016) Learning for walking the change: Eco-scial innovation through sustainability-oriented higher education. Routledge Handbook of Higher Education for Sustainable Development.
- (2015) Development and self-understanding: How understanding developmental theory can help us grow. Rådgivningsvitenskap Helhetlige rådgivningsprosesser: relasjonsdynamikk,vekst, utvikling og mangfold.
- (2014) Cultivating leadership through deep presencing and awareness based practices. Leading with Spirit, Presence, & Authenticity.
- (2012) Integral leadership. Opening space by leading through the heart. The Transforming Leader.
- (2010) Spirituality and integral thought in higher education. Integral Education — New Directions for Higher Learning.
- (2010) The emergence and characteristics of integral education: An introduction. Integral Education — New Directions for Higher Learning.
- (2010) On the value and importance of personal development. Igniting brilliance — Integral education for the 21st century.