Background and activities
Jonathan is also Editor of Integral Review and does consulting and research in leadership development using an awareness based approach.
Jonathan is driven by an insatiable curiosity about the essence of human nature and how to cultivate this essence in the service of leadership. He uses various outlets for achieving this. He currently has a position at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, where he teaches and does research on leadership development, coaching and counseling. He serves as Editor-in Chief of Integral Review, A Transdisciplinary and Transcultural Journal for New Thought, Praxis and Research. He is also a co-founder of the Center for Transformative Leadership. Jonathan’s Ph.D. is in Leadership Studies from Gonzaga University.
Jonathan practices the cultivation of leadership through consulting and leadership development program design and delivery. He brings awareness based technology to this work, focusing on how the inner workings of human nature can develop leadership capacities for today’s complex challenges. He has done this for a diverse range of clients in the US, Canada and Europe.
Jonathan has presented at numerous international conferences on topics such as leadership development, consciousness research and transformative learning. His publications have been widely read and used in graduate level leadership programs. They include: Maturing Leadership. How Adult Development Impacts Leadership (Emerald) What’s Integral about Leadership? (Integral Review), Integral Leadership: Generating Space for Emergence through Quality of Presence (German Journal of Business Psychology), Leading the Future (Futures), Making Leadership Development Developmental (Academic Exchange) and Integral Leadership. Opening Space by Leading through the Heart (In C. Pearson, The Transforming Leader). He is also co-editor of Integral Education: New Directions for Higher Learning (SUNY Press).
- RAD6505 - Leadership Development and Organizational Transformation
- RAD3039 - Counselling in Organisations: Process and Development in Coaching, Consulting and Leadership
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2016) Going mainstream: A review of mastering leadership. Integral Review. vol. 12 (1).
- (2016) Immunity to change revisited: Theoretical foundations for awareness based practices for leadership development. Integral Review. vol. 12 (1).
- (2015) Awareness based technologies for leadership development: utilising Immunity to Change coaching. International Journal of Evidence Based Coaching and Mentoring. vol. 13 (2).
- (2014) Mindful leadership: Changing the way leaders develop their attentional skills. Concepts and Connections. A Publication for Leadership Educators. vol. 20 (3).
- (2013) You say you want a revolution? Transforming education and capacity building in response to global change. Environmental Science and Policy. vol. 28.
- (2012) Integral leadership: Generating space for emergence through quality of presence. Wirtschaftspsychologie. vol. 14 (3).
- (2011) Leadership development. Can it really happen?. Integral Leadership Review. vol. 9 (2).
- (2011) Organizational Transformation for Sustainability. An Integral Metatheory. An Appreciative (Over)(Re)View. Integral Review. vol. 7 (2).
- (2011) Review of Integral theory in action: Applied, theoretical and constructive perspectives on the AQAL model. Journal of Integral Theory and Practice. vol. 6 (3).
- (2010) Leading the future. Futures: The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. vol. 42 (10).
- (2010) Making leadership development developmental. Academic Exchange Quarterly. vol. 14 (4).
- (2009) immunity to change: A report from the field. Integral Review. vol. 5 (1).
- (2007) An experiment in education for states. AQAL. Journal of Integral Theory and Practice. vol. 2 (2).
- (2007) Illuminating the blind spot: An overview and response to Theory U. Integral Review. vol. 5.
- (2005) What’s Integral about Leadership? A Reflection on Leadership and Integral Theory. Integral Review. vol. 1 (1).
- (2010) Integral Education — New Directions for Higher Learning. SUNY Press. 2010. ISBN 978-1-4384-3349-3.
Part of book/report
- (2015) Development and self-understanding: How understanding developmental theory can help us grow. Rådgivningsvitenskap Helhetlige rådgivningsprosesser: relasjonsdynamikk,vekst, utvikling og mangfold.
- (2014) Cultivating leadership through deep presencing and awareness based practices. Leading with Spirit, Presence, & Authenticity.
- (2012) Integral leadership. Opening space by leading through the heart. The Transforming Leader.
- (2010) Spirituality and integral thought in higher education. Integral Education — New Directions for Higher Learning.
- (2010) The emergence and characteristics of integral education: An introduction. Integral Education — New Directions for Higher Learning.
- (2015) The Leadership Circle: Experiences Using Integrative 360 Assessments for Leadership Coaching and Development. 17th Annual ILA Global Conferece- Leading Across Borders and Generations . ILA- International Leadership Association; Barcelona. 2015-10-14 - 2015-10-17.
- (2014) Leading with Spirit, Presence and Authenticity. Panel presentation. Conscious Leading for Global Change: Emergence of Our Collective Realities. . International Leadership Association; San Diego. 2014-10-30 - 2014-11-02.
- (2014) Awareness-Based coaching: Immunity to Change for Developing Consciousness in Leaders. Conscious Leading for Global Change: Emergence of Our Collective Realities. . International Leadership Association; San Diego. 2014-10-30 - 2014-11-02.
- (2013) Leadership transformation through unfolding awareness. The Alchemy of Leadership: Demystifying the Science and Magic of Transformation. Third annual conference on leadership development and business ; Sydney. 2013-05-16.
- (2013) Feeling into the moment: Applying integral maps and processes to corporate leadership training and trans-disciplinary education. Third Integral Theory Conference. Mapping the Integral Cosmopolitan ; San Francisco. 2013-07-18 - 2013-07-21.
- (2013) Authentic leadership through deep presencing. International Leadership Association Annual Conference, Leadership for Local and Global Resilience: The Challenges of a Shifting Planet. ; Montreal. 2013-10-30 - 2013-11-02.
- (2013) Awareness based leadership development. How practice and coaching facilitate developmental growth. International Leadership Association Annual Conference, Leadership for Local and Global Resilience: The Challenges of a Shifting Planet. ; Montreal. 2013-10-30 - 2013-11-02.
- (2011) Leading with impact: Design and pilot implementation of a global corporate leadership development program. International Leadership Association Annual Conference, One Planet, Many Worlds: Remapping the Purposes of Leadership. . International Leadership Association; London. 2011-10-26 - 2011-10-29.
- (2010) Authentic Leadership as Opening Space. Leadership 2.0: A time for Action . International Leadership Association; Boston. 2010-10-27 - 2010-10-30.
- (2010) Making Leadership Development Developmental. Leadership 2.0: A time for Action. . International Leadership Association; Boston. 2010-10-27 - 2010-10-30.
- (2008) A Transpersonal View of Integral Theory. Ingtegral Theory in Action: Serving Self, Other & Kosmos. Konferansepresentasjon . John F. Kennedy University; Pleasant Hill California. 2008-07-28 - 2008-07-28.
- (2008) Integral Theory in Academia Panel. Integral Theory in Action: Serving Self, Other & Kosmos. Konferanse på John F. Kennedy University . John F. Kennedy University; Pleasant Hill California. 2008-08-07 - 2008-08-10.
- (2007) Spiritual Beings Having Human Experiences: How Viewing Consciousness as Primary Reframes Science and Religion. Human Persons and the God of Nature Conference. . Oriel College, Oxford.; Oxford. 2007-09-02 - 2007-09-06.
- (2007) Wholeness Lost/Wholeness Regained: A Process Model View. Transdisciplinarity and the Unity of Knowledge: Beyond the Science and Religion Dialogue. . Metanexus Institute.; Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. 2007-06-02 - 2007-06-06.