Jon Olav Hove
Background and activities
I am working as an Associate Professor in heritage studies at the Department of Historical and Classical Studies. My current research focus on memories of slavery/slave trade and colonialism in West-Africa and Scandinavia. I am teaching several courses in cultural heritage studies at the BA and MA levels. In addition, I teach the courseHIST1000: History in society. I also supervise students in cultural heritage studies as well as history.
- African history and heritage
- The transatlantic slave trade
- Vest-Africa/Ghanaian history
- Memory of the transatlantic slave trade
- HIST1000 - Public history
- KULMI3115 - Memory, things and places
- KULMI1000 - Introduction to the Study of Cultural Heritage Management
- KULMI2400 - Period of Practical Training and Project Work in Cultural Heritage
- KULMI2200 - Work Placement and Bachelor's Thesis in Cultural Heritage
- AFR2850 - Modern African History
- KULMI3090 - Master's Thesis in Cultural Heritage Management
- KULMI3080 - Practise
- KULMI3815 - Documentation and Research Methods
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Conservativism in Gold Coast Politics: From Ku-Hee (New Party) to the National Democratic Party, 1943-51. Transactions of the Historical Society of Ghana. vol. 17.
- (2016) Sukkerhuset i Trondheim: Historia og minnet om industrietablering og transatlantisk slavehandel. Fabrik & Bolig.
- (2015) Digital archives and Ghanaian history: Potential and challenges. Contemporary Journal of African Studies. vol. 3 (2).
Part of book/report
- (2020) A Contested Global Memory Space: The Establishment of the National Museum of Ghana. Locating the Global: Spaces, Networks and Interactions from the Seventeenth to the Twentieth Century.
- (2019) Regulating Oil Concessions in British West Africa: The Case of Nigeria and the Gold Coast during the Colonial Period. The Political Economy of Resource Regulation: An International and Comparative History, 1850-2015.
- (2018) Forts and Castles in the Colonial Period: Uses and Understandings of the Pre-colonial Fortifications. Forts, Castles and Society in West Africa: Gold Coast and Dahomey, 1450–1960.
- (2017) Recreating Pre-colonial Forts and Castles: Heritage Policies and Restoration Practices in the Gold Coast/Ghana, 1945 to 1970s. Shadows of Empire: New Perspectives on European Fortifications in West Africa.
- (2013) The Volta River Project and Decolonization, 1945-57: The Rise and Fall of an Integrated Aluminum Project. Aluminum Ore: The Political Economy of the Global Bauxite Industry.
- (2020) Innspill til Høringsutkast til etiske retningslinjer for norske museer, Norsk ICOM og Norges museumsforbund (ePhorte saksnummer 2020/16248). 2020.
- (2019) Høringsuttalelse. Saksnr. 19/2116. Forslag til endringer i lov om planlegging og byggesaksbehandling. 2019.
- (2019) Ny stortingsmelding om kulturminnepolitikken - innspel frå Program for kulturminneforvaltning, NTNU. 2019.
- (2013) Development and Decolonisation: The Gold Coast (Ghana), 1940-1957. 2013. ISBN 978-82-471-4648-4.