Background and activities
Jostein Grepstad (1951) is Professor at Department of Electronics and Telecommunications, where he is part of the Nanoelectronics and Photonics research group. Professor Grepstad has both his MSc (1975) and a PhD (1982) from Department of Physics, NTH.
Area of expertise
His present research is focused on studies of epitaxial oxide thin films and heterostructures, incl. high-Tc superconductors, ferroelectrics, and ferro-/antiferromagnetic oxides, with special emphasis on domain formation and magnetic coupling in FM/AFM nanostructures. He also has extensive experience in surface and interface analysis with electron spectroscopy and synchrotron radiation techniques.
Recent work experience
- 2010-2011 Visiting scholar, Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering, UC Berkeley, USA
- 2003-2004 Visiting scholar, Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering, UC Berkeley, USA
- 1995-1996 Visiting scholar, Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Laboratory (SSRL), Stanford University, USA
- 1992- Professor, Dept. of Electronics and Telecommunications, NTNU
- 1989-1991 Associate Professor, Dept. of Physical Electronics, NTH
- 1987-1988 Visiting scholar (MER invitè), Dept. of Condensed Matter Physics, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- Developed and taught several courses at Dept. of Electronics and Telecom-munications, NTNU (formerly Dept. of Physical Electronics, NTH) on semiconductor physics, solid state electronics, photonic devices, superconductivity, nanoimprint lithography (NIL)
- Principal thesis advisor of 8 PhDs (graduated)
- Diploma thesis advisor of 1- 4 MSc students annually in EE/Applied Physics
07-12/2008, 2012-present, Member, Interfaculty committee for MSc studies in nanotechnology
- 2012- Group Leader, the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (DKNVS); Natural Sciences, Gr. VIII Technology
- 2005-2012, Chair, Faculty board of election officials
- 2004-2013, Board member, NTNU NanoLab
- 2002-2003, 2004-2012 Board member, NTNU thematic research area “Materials”
- 2002-2010, Member (NTNU representative), SINTEF council
- 2002-2003, 2004-2009 Vice Dean (research), Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical engineering
- 2003-2008 Board member, Centre of Excellence on “Quantifiable Quality of Service in Communication Systems”
Professional society memberships
- The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (DKNVS)
- The Norwegian Academy of Technical Sciences (NTVA)
- Norwegian Physical Society (NFS)
- American Physical Society (APS)
- American Vacuum Society (AVS)
- Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (IEEE)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Magnetic domain configuration of (111)-oriented LaFeO3 epitaxial thin films. APL Materials. vol. 5 (8).
- (2016) Concurrent magnetic and structural reconstructions at the interface of (111)-oriented L a0.7 S r0.3Mn O3/LaFe O3. Physical Review B. Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. vol. 94 (20).
- (2016) Tailoring Spin Textures in Complex Oxide Micromagnets. ACS Nano. vol. 10 (9).
- (2015) Controlling the switching field in nanomagnets by means of domain-engineered antiferromagnets. Physical Review B. Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. vol. 92 (9).
- (2015) Crystalline symmetry controlled magnetic switching in epitaxial (111) La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 thin films. APL Materials. vol. 3 (6).
- (2013) In-plane structural order of domain engineered La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 thin films. Philosophical Magazine. vol. 93 (13).
- (2013) Surface stability of epitaxial La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 thin films on (111)-oriented SrTiO3. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 113 (18).
- (2013) Spin-Flop Coupling and Exchange Bias in Embedded Complex Oxide Micromagnets. Physical Review Letters. vol. 111 (10).
- (2013) Electrical, optical and structural properties of Al-doped ZnO thin films grown on GaAs(111)B substrates by pulsed laser deposition. Thin Solid Films. vol. 545.
- (2012) Consequences of High Adatom Energy during Pulsed Laser Deposition of La0.7Sr0.3MnO3. Crystal Growth & Design. vol. 12 (2).
- (2012) Crossover from spin-flop coupling to collinear spin alignment in antiferromagnetic/ferromagnetic thin film nanostructures. Nano letters (Print). vol. 12 (5).
- (2012) X-PEEM study of antiferromagnetic domain patterns in LaFeO3 thin films and embedded nanostructures. Journal of Electron Spectroscopy and Related Phenomena. vol. 185 (10).
- (2012) Photo-electrochemical synthesis of silver-oxide clathrate Ag7O8NO3. Electrochemical and solid-state letters. vol. 15 (4).
- (2012) Epitaxial relationships of ZnO nanostructures grown by Au-assisted pulsed laser deposition on c- and a-plane sapphire. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 355 (1).
- (2011) Structural coupling across the LaAlO3/SrTiO3 interface: High-resolution x-ray diffraction study. Physical Review B. Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. vol. 84 (20).
- (2011) Effects of nanostructuring and substrate symmetry on antiferromagnetic domain structure in LaFeO3 thin films. Physical Review B. Condensed Matter and Materials Physics. vol. 84 (22).
- (2011) Formation of ZnO Nanosheets Grown by Catalyst-Assisted Pulsed Laser Deposition. Crystal Growth & Design. vol. 11 (12).
- (2011) Effects of substrate annealing on the gold-catalyzed growth of ZnO nanostructures. Nanoscale Research Letters. vol. 6.
- (2010) Antiferromagnetic Domain Reconfiguration in Embedded LaFeO3 Thin Film Nanostructures. Nano letters (Print). vol. 10 (11).
- (2010) Growth and characterization of (Pb,La)(Zr,Ti)O-3 thin film epilayers on SrTiO3-buffered Si(001). Thin Solid Films. vol. 518 (19).