Kai Erik Ekstrøm
Background and activities
- MSc in Chemical Engineering and Biotechnology; specialized in Materials Chemistry and Energy Technology (NTNU; 2012).
- PhD in Physical Metallurgy (NTNU; 2016).
2021 - present: Senior Chemical Engineer (NOAH AS), Associate Professor II (NTNU)
- Recycling of wastes from municipal solid waste incineration (MSWI) and other industrial wastes.
2016 - 2020: Postdoctor; SFI Metal Production
- Associated with the Norwegian Waste to Value project and the European RemovAl project on recycling and refining of metallurgical waste streams.
- Thermodynamics and modelling of metallurgical processes; including FactSage, ChemApp and HSC Chemistry.
2012 - 2016: PhD; Solidification and Casting
- Impurity control of multicrystalline silicon.
- Impurity diffusion from crystallization crucibles.
- Structure control of multicrystalline silicon.
- Nucleation, mono-like and high-performance multicrystalline silicon.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Recovery of Iron and Aluminum from Bauxite Residue by Carbothermic Reduction and Slag Leaching. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy. vol. 7.
- (2021) Behavior of Al4C3 Particles During Flotation and Sedimentation in Aluminum Melts. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B. vol. 52B.
- (2021) Valorization of SiMn Sludge for Production of Low-Phosphorus Ferroalloys. Journal of Sustainable Metallurgy. vol. 7.
- (2020) Evaluation of the Effect of CO2 Cover Gas on the Rate of Oxidation of an AlMgSi Alloy. The Minerals, Metals & Materials Series.
- (2020) Spent potlining: Experimental work and thermochemical modelling in SFI Metal Production. 2020.
- (2017) High performance multicrystalline silicon: Grain structure and iron precipitation. Journal of Applied Physics. vol. 122 (13).
- (2017) Defect related radiative recombination in mono-like crystalline silicon wafers. Physica Status Solidi (a) applications and materials science. vol. 214 (8).
- (2017) Impurity control in high performance multicrystalline silicon. Physica Status Solidi (a) applications and materials science. vol. 214 (7).
- (2016) High-Performance and Traditional Multicrystalline Silicon: Comparing Gettering Responses and Lifetime-Limiting Defects. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics. vol. 6 (3).
- (2016) Microstructure of multicrystalline silicon seeded by polysilicon chips and fluidized bed reactor granules. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 441.
- (2016) The Effect of Phosphorus Gettering on Fine-Grained Multicrystalline Silicon. Proceedings of the European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference.
- (2016) Beta-Si3N4 particles as nucleation sites in multicrystalline silicon. Acta Materialia. vol. 109.
- (2016) The effect of holding time on the size distribution of β-Si3N4 particles and nucleation undercooling in multicrystalline silicon. Physica Status Solidi. C, Current topics in solid state physics. vol. 13 (10-12).
- (2016) The effect of phosphorus diffusion gettering on recombination at grain boundaries in HPMC-silicon wafers. Energy Procedia. vol. 92.
- (2016) Structure Control of Multicrystalline Silicon. 2016.
- (2015) Structure and dislocation development in mono-like silicon. Physica Status Solidi (a) applications and materials science. vol. 212 (10).
- (2015) Effect of Phosphorus Gettering on Quasi-Single-Crystalline Silicon Wafers. Proceedings of the European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference.
- (2012) Growth and Characterization of Silicon Nanowires for Solar Cell Applications. 2012.