Background and activities
My most important research activities are teacher education, professional development, new teachers, supervision at PhD level, and finally, but not least, assessment with a focus on the pedagogical aspects of assessment.
I was a teacher for 18 years, and for almost 10 of these years I worked as an English and classroom teacher in school and taught English subject didactics, practice oriented research and assessment at university level. I left school when I became Head of the English Department and later Head of the Teacher Department at Oranim Academic College in Israel. After returning to Norway, I became Chair of the Programme Board for Teacher Education at the University of Bergen.
In 2010 I was part of the establishment of the National Research School in Teacher Education, NAFOL, and held the role of Chairperson of the Board until 2015. I then took over as the Head of the research school until NAFOL's end in June 2022.
I have also been active in the European Association for Research in Learning and Instruction (EARLI) as coordinator of The Assessment and Evaluation SIG (1), and also as coordinator of The Teaching and Teacher Education SIG (11). In 2013, I was one of the founders of The International Forum for Teacher Educator Professional Development (InFo-TED) and held the role of coordinator until 2019. I also co-founded the Nordic Research School in Teacher Education-relevant research, NorTED, and took on the coordinator job in the first year to ensure that the school was well established. For many years I have been active in the The American Educational Research Association (AERA), The International Study Association on Teachers and Teaching (ISATT), and The European Educational Research Association (EERA). In March 2022, I received an honorary doctorate at the University of Ghent, Belgium.
I have published a large number of articles, book chapters and books, and enjoyed being invited as keynote speaker worldwide; Australia, New Zealand, China, Dubai, Korea, Singapore, Africa, USA, Syd-America, Europa, Israel, and Norway.
From 1 August, 2022, I am Professor Emerita at NTNU.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Feedback practice in lower secondary school: Exploring development of perceptions of feedback practice among students and teachers. Cogent Education. vol. 9 (1).
- (2022) Balancing teacher educators’ researcherly and pedagogical dispositions–an example from Norway. Asia-Pacific Journal of Teacher Education.
- (2022) Developing a signature pedagogy for doctoral education. European Journal of Education. vol. 57 (3).
- (2021) Students’ perceptions of assessment practices in upper secondary school during COVID-19. Teachers and Teaching: theory and practice.
- (2021) Educating teachers for the future school- the challenge of bridging between perceptions of quality teaching and policy decisions:reflections from Norway. European Journal of Teacher Education. vol. 44 (3).
- (2021) Meeting the Black Swan - Teacher educators' use of ICT- pre, during and eventually post Covid-19. Nordic Journal of Comparative and International Education (NJCIE). vol. 5 (1).
- (2021) Entrance into teaching and need for support- narratives from diverse national and local contexts. NORDVEI- Nordisk tidsskrift i veiledningspedagogikk. vol. 6 (1).
- (2020) Moving from traditional to responsive mathematics classrooms: a proposition of an intervention model. Teacher Development. vol. 24 (3).
- (2020) Expansive Learning for Teacher Educators- The Story of the Norwegian National Research School in Teacher Education (NAFOL). Frontiers in Education. vol. 5.
- (2020) Universitetslektorer- en neglisjert profesjonsgruppe. UNIPED. vol. 43 (04).
- (2019) Educating Teacher Educators: International Perspectives. The New Educator. vol. 16 (1).
- (2019) Developing teachers’ responsive pedagogy in mathematics, does it lead to short-term effects on student learning?. Cogent Education. vol. 6 (1).
- (2019) Responsiv pedagogikk: Feedbackinteraksjoner i læring. Kognition & Pædagogik. vol. 29 (114).
- (2019) The Janus-Faced Teacher Educator. European Journal of Teacher Education. vol. 42 (4).
- (2019) Students' perceptions of teachers' feedback practice in teaching English as a foreign language. Teaching and Teacher Education : An International Journal of Research and Studies. vol. 85.
- (2018) Vegen frå å ha det til å ta det- å skape motstandsdyktige spelare i toppfotball. Journal for Research in Arts and Sports Education. vol. 2 (3).
- (2018) «Det handler om å finne sin egen form» Læreres profesjonelle handlingsrom − hvordan det blir forstått og utnyttet. Acta Didactica Norge. vol. 12 (1).
- (2018) Shared language of feedback and assessment. Perception of teachers and students in three Icelandic secondary schools. Studies in Educational Evaluation. vol. 56.
- (2018) Performing the pre-formed: Towards a conceptual framework for understanding teaching as curricular transformation. Designs for Learning. vol. 10 (1).
- (2018) Støtte og utvikling i jobben som ny lærerutdanner i Norge. UNIPED. vol. 41 (03).