Background and activities
I am professor in social geography with landscape geography as a focus area. My research interests cover representations of landscape, landscape policies and management, cultural heritage in tourism, mountain farming, and natural resource management. My research has mainly taken place in a Norwegian context but I have also undertaken studies in mountain communities in Austria and northern Spain. My teaching has covered qualitative methods, courses focussing on landscape and natural resource management, and in addition more generic disciplinary topics. I have been department head for a period and am presently vice-dean for research.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Preserving permanent mountain grasslands in Western Europe: Why are promising approaches not implemented more widely?. Land Use Policy. vol. 68.
- (2017) Arealkrav i jærlandskapet: En studie av medias fremstilling. Tidsskriftet Utmark. vol. 2017 (1).
- (2016) National parks policy and planning: a comparative analysis of friluftsliv (Norway) and the dual mandate (New Zealand). Journal of Policy Research in Tourism, Leisure and Events. vol. 8 (2).
- (2016) Institutional impacts on the resilience of mountain grasslands: An analysis based on three European case studies. Land Use Policy. vol. 52.
- (2016) Mimisbrunnr Climate Park - a network for heritage learning, tourism development, and climate consciousness. Journal of Heritage Tourism. vol. 11 (1).
- (2014) Landscapes of transhumance in Norway and Spain: Farmers' practices, perceptions, and value orientations. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 68 (4).
- (2013) Authenticity and the pseudo-backstage of agri-tourism. Annals of Tourism Research. vol. 43.
- (2013) Reiseliv i norske nasjonalparker - forvaltningsmessige forutsetninger og utfordringer. Tidsskriftet Utmark.
- (2012) Travels in imaginary landscapes: An analysis of four cultural historic guidebooks. Belgeo.
- (2011) The participatory dimension in nature conservation processes: Examples of ideology and practice from Norway. Landscape Series. vol. 13.
- (2011) Harmony or conflict? : a focus group study on traditional use and tourism development in and around Rondane and Jotunheimen national parks in Norway. Scandinavian Journal of Hospitality and Tourism. vol. 11 (suppl.).
- (2010) Synergy or marginalisation? Narratives of farming and tourism in Geiranger, western Norway. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 64 (1).
- (2007) Summer farmers: Gender Discourses in New Arenas. Journal of Comparative Family Studies. vol. 38 (3).
- (2006) New protected areas in Norway: Local participation without gender equality. Mountain Research and Development Journal. vol. 26.
- (2001) Re-growth effects on vascular plant richness in Norwegian, abandoned summer farm areas. Skógræktarritið. vol. 1.
- (1997) Usages of the "cultural landscape" concept in Norwegian and Nordic landscape administration. Landscape Research. vol. 22 (3).
- (2010) Images, attitudes and measures in the field of cultural heritage in Norway. Amsterdam University Press. 2010. ISBN 978-90-8964-155-7.
- (2001) Summer farming in the subalpine birch forest. 2001. ISBN 1-84214-054-X.
Part of book/report
- (2018) World heritage and cultural sustainability. The farmers and fishermen of Vega, Northern Norway. Cultural sustainability and the nature-culture interface. Livelihoods, policies, and methodologies.
- (2016) Moving Up and Down. Two Cases of Seasonal Family Dwelling in Mountainous Areas: Mid-Norway and the Southwestern Alps. Agricultural and Pastoral Landscapes in Pre-Industrial Society- Choices, Stability and Change.