Professor of Computer ScienceDepartment of Information Security and Communication Technology Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
Background and activities
Katrin Franke is a professor in computer science within the information security environment at NTNU in Gjøvik. In 2007 she joined the Norwegian Information Security Lab (NISlab) with the mission to establish research and education in digital and computational forensics. In this context she was instrumental in setting up the partnership with the Norwegian police organisations as part of the Center for Cyber and information Security (CCIS). Dr. Franke is now leading the NTNU Digital Forensics group. Dr. Franke has 20+ years experiences in basic and applied research for financial services & law enforcement agencies (LEAs) working closely with banks and LEAs in Europe, North America and Asia.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Feasibility Study of Social Network Analysis on Loosely Structured Communication Networks. Procedia Computer Science. vol. 108.
- (2017) Big data analytics by automated generation of fuzzy rules for Network Forensics Readiness. Applied Soft Computing. vol. 52.
- (2016) Data-driven Approach to Information Sharing using Data Fusion and Machine Learning for Intrusion Detection. Norsk Informasjonssikkerhetskonferanse (NISK). vol. 2016.
- (2016) Memory access patterns for malware detection. Norsk Informasjonssikkerhetskonferanse (NISK). vol. 2016.
- (2016) Intelligent generation of fuzzy rules for network firewalls based on the analysis of large-scale network traffic dumps. International Journal of Hybrid Intelligent Systems. vol. 13 (3-4).
- (2016) Multinomial classification of web attacks using improved fuzzy rules learning by Neuro-Fuzzy. International Journal of Hybrid Intelligent Systems. vol. 13 (1).
- (2016) Malware Beaconing Detection by Mining Large-scale DNS Logs for Targeted Attack Identification. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology: An International Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology. vol. 10 (4).
- (2014) Practical use of Approximate Hash Based Matching in digital investigations. Digital Investigation. The International Journal of Digital Forensics and Incident Response. vol. 11 (May).
- (2013) Enhancing the effectiveness of Web Application Firewalls by generic feature selection. Logic journal of the IGPL (Print). vol. 21 (4).
- (2012) Clustering Document Fragments using Background Color and Texture Information. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 8297.
- (2012) Combining expert knowledge with automatic feature extraction for reliable web attack detection. Security and Communication Networks.
- (2011) Improving Effectiveness of Intrusion Detection by Correlation Feature Selection. International Journal on Mobile Computing and Multimedia Communications. vol. 3 (1).
- (2011) On General Definition of L1-norm Support Vector Machines for Feature Selection. International Journal of Machine Learning and Computing. vol. 1 (3).
- (2009) A New Two-Stage Search Procedure for Misuse Detection. International Journal of Security and Its Applications. vol. 3 (3).
- (2017) IEEE Big Data 1st International Workshop on Big Data Analytic for Cyber Crime Investigation and Prevention 2017. IEEE. 2017. ISBN 978-1-5386-2715-0.
- (2011) Computational Forensics; 4th International Workshop, IWCF 2010, Tokyo, Japan, November 11-12, 2010, Revised Selected Papers. Springer. 2011. ISBN 978-3-642-19375-0. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (6540).
- (2009) Computational Forensics. Springer. 2009. ISBN 9783642035203.
- (2009) Computational Forensics. Springer. 2009. ISBN 9783642035203. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (5718).
Part of book/report
- (2017) Challenges in Digital Forensics. Digital forensics.
- (2017) Bootstrapping the Paysim Financial Simulator for Open Source. THE 29TH EUROPEAN MODELING & SIMULATION SYMPOSIUM (EMSS 2017).