Background and activities
Kimmo Kansanen (1971) is a Professor at the Department of Electronic Systems. He leads the Signal Processing Group. He has a MSc and a PhD in Electrical Engineering from the University of Oulu, Finland.
- 2016 Professor, NTNU
- 2011- 2016 Associate Professor, NTNU
- 2008-2011 Research Scientist, FP7-SENDORA, NTNU
- 2006-2008 Post-doc, NORDITE/VERDIKT project CROPS
- 1999-2006 Research Scientist, University of Oulu
- 1994-1997 Telecommunications hardware assembly and testing, embedded software development, system testing, and project management, Elektrobit Oy, Finland
- RCN Project "Massive Simple IoT", funded by IKTPLUSS Phase 1.
- NTNU participant in the H2020 ITN “Wireless In-Body Environment - WIBEC”, H2020-MSCA-ITN-2015, total score 94.6%.
- Contact person for NTNU in “Advanced MODEM Techniques for Future Satellite Access Networks“ (2013-2014), funded by European Space Agency, prime contractor is Space Engineering S.p.A. while NTNU is a subcontractor.
- Project member in “Norwegian, Bosnian and Serbian cooperation platform for university and industry in ICT R&D (NORBAS)” (2012-2015), financed by Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Project member in “Medical Sensing, Localization and Communications using Ultra Wideband Technology (MELODY) - II” (2013-2015) funded by the research council of Norway and focusing on sensing, localization, and wireless communications in medical practice.
- Project member in FP7 SENDORA (2008-2010). The EU-FP7 focused project SENDORA received funding from the 7th framework program Call 1 Objective 1. The goal of the project is to study and eventually demonstrate the use of sensor networks for enabling cognitive radio system operation and optimization.
- The Nordic cooperation project CROPS-2 (2008-2010) received funding from the NORDITE project by TEKES, Vinnova and Forskningsrådet. The goal of the project is to perform fundamental research in cooperative sensing in a sensor network to detect radio signals.
IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Associate editor, 2017 --
Elsevier Physical Communication, Associate Editor, 2012-2017
Special Session Chair, CrownCom 2010, Publicity Co-Chair, Communication Theory Workshop 2011, General Chair, Third Nordic Workshop on System & Network Optimization for Wireless 2012, 2015.
Technical Program Committees
IEEE Globecomm, IEEE ICC, IEEE SmartGridCom, European Wireless, IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC).
Patents and patent applications
- US Patent 7447285: Data processing method, receiver and network element for executing a turbo principle
- US Patent 7492844: Data processing method, equalizer and receiver
- US Patent 7466779: Data transmission method, data transmission arrangement and base station
He has supervised 5 MSc students, and 6 PhD students
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Survey on Communication and Networks for Autonomous Marine Systems. Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems.
- (2017) Optimal Placement of Relay Nodes over Limited Positions in Wireless Sensor Networks. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 16 (4).
- (2017) Distortion outage analysis for joint space-time coding and kalman filtering. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. vol. 65 (9).
- (2016) Outage Performance of Decode-and-Forward Cooperative Networks over Nakagami-m Fading with Node Blockage. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 15 (9).
- (2016) DSP based OFDM receiver for time-varying underwater acoustic channels. European Signal Processing Conference. vol. 2016-November.
- (2016) Performance Analysis of Energy Detection for MIMO Decision Fusion in Wireless Sensor Networks over Arbitrary Fading Channels. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 15 (11).
- (2016) Outage performance of low-latency decode-and-forward cooperative wireless networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. vol. 2016 (1).
- (2016) Outage analysis of mixed FSO/WiMAX link. IEEE Photonics Journal. vol. 8 (1).
- (2015) Exact SMP algorithms for integer-forcing linear MIMO receivers. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 14 (12).
- (2015) ME-SSA: An advanced random access for the satellite return channel. IEEE International Conference on Communications. vol. 2015-September.
- (2015) Diversity Effects in Kalman Filtering Over Rayleigh Fading Channels. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. vol. 63 (23).
- (2015) Time-Domain Oversampled OFDM Communication in Doubly-Selective Underwater Acoustic Channels. IEEE Communications Letters. vol. 19 (6).
- (2015) On Energy Detection for MIMO Decision Fusion in Wireless Sensor Networks over NLOS Fading. IEEE Communications Letters. vol. 19 (2).
- (2015) Power randomization for iterative detection over random-access fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 14 (10).
- (2014) Individual packet deadline delay constrained opportunistic scheduling for large multiuser systems. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking. vol. 2014.
- (2014) Achieving Fair Spectrum Allocation and Reduced Spectrum Handoff in Wireless Sensor Networks: Modeling via Biobjective Optimization. Modelling and Simulation in Engineering. vol. 2014.
- (2014) On Estimation Error Outage for Scalar Gauss-Markov Signals Sent Over Fading Channels. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. vol. 62 (23).
- (2013) Partial Equivalent Channel Inversion Based Precoding with Mode Adaptation in Multiuser MIMO Systems. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications. vol. 12 (7).
- (2012) On MMSE estimation: A Linear Model under Gaussian Mixture Statistics. IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing. vol. 60 (7).
- (2011) Individual Packet Deadline Constrained Opportunistic Scheduling For a Multiuser System. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) Proceedings.