Background and activities
I am a postdoctoral fellow at the project LIM: Language, Integration, Media, where I research how computer games and multimodal narratives can facilitate integration and promote knowledge about migration.
My PhD research project was about the learning processes that occurs when elementary school students design computer games in the classroom, and I have a broad research interest in games and learning. My background is from designing and researching "serious games", which are games with another primary purpose than entertainment, such as games for learning, health or social change.
Participation in research groups and collaboration:
- Participant in the project LIM: Language, Integration and Media
- Participant in the research group SIPP
- Research stay at Ritsumeikan Center for Game Studies, Ritsumeikan University, Kyoto, Japan (February 2016 - July 2016)
- Participant in the project "Virtual work experience: development of research-based innovative solutions using game technology and virtual/augmented reality (VR/AR) as a tool for helping job seekers"
- Participant in the project Spillbasert Læring (Game-Based Learning)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) The Educational Potential of Visual Novel Games: Principles for Design. Replaying Japan. vol. 2.
- (2019) Promoting gender equality from within: Women in STEM at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU). Gender and Culture in Asia. vol. 3.
- (2018) ‘But this isn’t school’: exploring tensions in the intersection between school and leisure activities in classroom game design. Learning, Media & Technology. vol. 43 (1).
- (2018) Enhancing learning practices by understanding formal and informal ways of using computer games. Barn. vol. 36 (2).
- (2018) “Move over, I will find Jerusalem”: Artifacts in game design in classrooms. Learning, Culture and Social Interaction. vol. 19.
- (2015) “THE BEST SCHOOL DAY EVER” - TEACHING SUSTAINABILITY AND SYSTEM THINKING BY PERVASIVE GAME PLAYING. EDULEARN proceedings.
- (2015) Computer games for promoting global awareness: Methods and modes. Proceedings of the ... European conference on games-based learning. vol. 2015-January.
Part of book/report
- (2018) Stories about History: Exploring Central Elements When Students Design Game Narratives. Games and Education: Designs in and for Learning.
- (2015) Students as Game Designers: Learning by Creating Game Narratives in the Classroom. Interactive Storytelling: 8th International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling, ICIDS 2015.
- (2018) Students as Game Designers: Exploring collaborative game-based learning activities in the classroom. 2018. ISBN 978-82-326-3142-1. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (176).
- (2019) The Wanderer: Game Design Strategies for Promoting Inclusion Through Play. DiGRA 2019: Social Justice Tactics in Today's LudoMix ; 2019-08-06 - 2019-08-06.
- (2019) The educational potential of visual novels: Principles for design. Replaying Japan 2019 ; 2019-08-09 - 2019-08-11.
- (2018) Women in STEM in Norway: Promoting gender equality from within through technology and networking. Women in STEM ; 2018-11-24 - 2018-11-24.
- (2016) Prøv deg som spilldesigner!. Researcher's Night 2016 . NTNU; 2016-09-23 - 2016-09-23.
- (2015) Computer Games for Promoting Global Awareness: Methods and Modes. European Conference on Game Based Learning (ECGBL 2015) ; 2015-10-07 - 2015-10-09.
- (2015) Elever spiller seg til bedre læring. null [Internett]. 2015-09-24.
- (2015) Forsker Grand Prix 2015. null [TV]. 2015-09-24.
- (2015) Students as Game Designers: Learning by Creating Game Narratives in the Classroom. 8th International Conference on Interactive Digital Storytelling, ICIDS 2015 ; 2015-11-30 - 2015-12-04.
- (2014) Computer games for promoting global awareness: Pedagogical implications. ecoMEDIA 2014: The Future of Education . ecoMEDIA Europe and Hedmark University College; Hedmark University College. 2014-10-20 - 2014-10-22.
- (2014) On the design and development of a framework for collaborative computer game creation in the classroom: Digital literacy in practice. Media Education Futures (PhD pre-conference) . Tampere University; Tampere. 2014-05-07 - 2014-05-07.
- (2014) Pervasive gamification: How pervasive games can be used as motivation in teaching. ecoMEDIA 2014: The Future of Education . ecoMEDIA Europe and Hedmark University College; Hedmark University College. 2014-10-20 - 2014-10-22.