Lars Christian Gansel
Background and activities
I teach and do my research in marine sciences with focus on aquaculture, and I am responsible for NTNU's research license for salmonids in the sea.
Main research interest: understanding and describing 1) complex interactions between structures, biology and the physical-chemical environment, 2) transport mechanisms in the sea and 3) animal welfare. I like to work interdisciplinary to promote technology and knowledge transfer between research areas. Most of my work has been aquaculture related, with focus on fish welfare and environmental effects. Other areas of interest include planktology, biological and chemical oceanography; integrated aquaculture and scientific method development.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Comparing life cycle assessment (LCA) of salmonid aquaculture production systems: Status and perspectives. Sustainability. vol. 11:2517 (9).
- (2018) Drag Forces and deformation of aquaculture cages – full-scale towing tests in the field. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 81.
- (2018) Comparing the primary energy and phosphorus consumption of soybean and seaweed-based aquafeed proteins – A material and substance flow analysis. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 200.
- (2017) Assessing swimming capacity and schooling behaviour in farmed Atlantic salmon Salmo salar with experimental push-cages. Aquaculture. vol. 473.
- (2016) Crowding of Atlantic salmon in net-pen before slaughter. Aquaculture. vol. 465.
- (2016) Quantification of biofouling on nets: a comparison of wet weight measurements and optical (image analysis) methods. Aquaculture International.
- (2015) Drag of Clean and Fouled Net Panels – Measurements and Parameterization of Fouling. PLOS ONE.
- (2015) Drag on hydroid-fouled nets — An experimental approach. China Ocean engineering. vol. 29 (3).
- (2014) Effects of a shielding skirt for prevention of sea lice on the flow past stocked salmon fish cages. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 137 (1).
- (2014) Deformation of nets with bending stiffness normal to uniform currents. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 136 (4).
- (2014) Forces On Nets With Bending Stiffness - an Experimental Study On the Effects Of Flow Speed and Angle Of Attack. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 136 (4).
- (2014) Flow fields inside stocked fish cages and the near environment. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 136 (3).
- (2013) Hatchery tank enrichment affects cortisol levels and shelter-seeking in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 70 (4).
- (2013) Hydrodynamic interactions on net panel and aquaculture fish cages: A review. Ocean Engineering. vol. 58.
- (2012) Flow Around the Free Bottom of Fish Cages in a Uniform Flow With and Without Fouling. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 134 (1).
- (2012) The Effects of Fish Cages on Ambient Currents. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 134 (1).
- (2009) Flow Patterns in and around fish cages: The effects of biofouling on the flow in and around net pens and the resulting forces. Special Publications (European Aquaculture Society).
- (2009) Flow patterns in and around fish cages: Their importance for fish welfare, environmental pollution and intergrated multitrophic aquaculture. Special Publications (European Aquaculture Society).
Part of book/report
- (2017) Natural Infection Induced Immune Response against Salmonid Alphavirus in Farmed Salmon. IEEE OCEANS 2017 - Aberdeen.
- (2017) OMAE2017-62030 Drag on Nets Fouled With Blue Mussel (Mytilus Edulis) and Sugar Kelp (Saccharina Latissima) and Parameterization of Fouling. ASME 2017 36th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 6: Ocean Space Utilization.