Background and activities
My main research interest is in understanding and describing complex systems, more specifically fluid-structure interactions and interactions between biology and the physical-chemical environment.
I like to work interdisciplinary to promote technology and knowledge transfer between research areas. Most of my work has been within aquaculture, with focus on good fish welfare and environmental effects of fish farming.
Aquaculture systems are complex and dynamic. To fully understand such systems we need to study how (flexible) fish farm components, the surrounding water body, chemical and physical quality of the environment, wild and farmed fish, marine fouling parasites/pathogens, fish farm activities and use of technological solutions interact with each other.
Other fields of interest include planktology, biological and chemical oceanography, integrated aquaculture and scientific method development.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Drag Forces and deformation of aquaculture cages – full-scale towing tests in the field. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 81.
- (2018) Comparing the primary energy and phosphorus consumption of soybean and seaweed-based aquafeed proteins – A material and substance flow analysis. Journal of Cleaner Production. vol. 200.
- (2017) Assessing swimming capacity and schooling behaviour in farmed Atlantic salmon Salmo salar with experimental push-cages. Aquaculture. vol. 473.
- (2016) Quantification of biofouling on nets: a comparison of wet weight measurements and optical (image analysis) methods. Aquaculture International.
- (2015) Drag of Clean and Fouled Net Panels – Measurements and Parameterization of Fouling. PLoS ONE.
- (2015) Drag on hydroid-fouled nets — An experimental approach. China Ocean engineering. vol. 29 (3).
- (2014) Effects of a shielding skirt for prevention of sea lice on the flow past stocked salmon fish cages. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 137 (1).
- (2014) Deformation of nets with bending stiffness normal to uniform currents. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 136 (4).
- (2014) Forces On Nets With Bending Stiffness - an Experimental Study On the Effects Of Flow Speed and Angle Of Attack. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 136 (4).
- (2014) Flow fields inside stocked fish cages and the near environment. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 136 (3).
- (2013) Hatchery tank enrichment affects cortisol levels and shelter-seeking in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar). Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. vol. 70 (4).
- (2013) Hydrodynamic interactions on net panel and aquaculture fish cages: A review. Ocean Engineering. vol. 58.
- (2012) Flow Around the Free Bottom of Fish Cages in a Uniform Flow With and Without Fouling. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 134 (1).
- (2012) The Effects of Fish Cages on Ambient Currents. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering. vol. 134 (1).
- (2009) Flow Patterns in and around fish cages: The effects of biofouling on the flow in and around net pens and the resulting forces. Special Publications (European Aquaculture Society).
- (2009) Flow patterns in and around fish cages: Their importance for fish welfare, environmental pollution and intergrated multitrophic aquaculture. Special Publications (European Aquaculture Society).
Part of book/report
- (2017) Natural Infection Induced Immune Response against Salmonid Alphavirus in Farmed Salmon. IEEE OCEANS 2017 - Aberdeen.
- (2017) OMAE2017-62030 Drag on Nets Fouled With Blue Mussel (Mytilus Edulis) and Sugar Kelp (Saccharina Latissima) and Parameterization of Fouling. ASME 2017 36th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 6: Ocean Space Utilization.
- (2013) Effects of a shielding skirt for prevention of sea lice on the flow past stocked Salmon fish cages. ASME 2013 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.
- (2013) Deformation of Nets With Bending Stiffness Normal to Uniform Currents. ASME 2013 32nd International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering.