Leif Rune Hellevik
Background and activities
Leif Rune Hellevik (1967) is a Professor at the Divison of Biomechanics, Department of Structural Engineering and since 2017 the Vice Dean for the master programs at the Faculty of Engineering at NTNU.
Since 2011, a primary focus of Hellevik's research has been the development of STARFiSh, which is an acronym for Stochastic Arterial Flow Simulations. In this research code models for pressure and flow waves of blood flow in arterial network are embedded in a framework which allows for uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis of all model parameters with respect to the model predictions.
A more recent project is "My medical digital twin (MyMDT). A digital twin for essential hypertension management and treatment." By a novel combination of exercise-, hypertension-, mathematical modelling-, machine learning-, statistical-, biosensor-, genetic epidemiology- and population based reseach, a personalized Medical Digital Twin (MyMDT) will be developed, that serve as a transformative platform for patient specific hypertensive intervention. MyMDT shall identify, and implement, primary and secondary hypertension prevention schemes to improve individual health outcomes and reduce health care cost. MyMDT will radically improve prevention and treatment of hypertension, and bring NTNU to the international forefront of translational hypertension research.
NTNU Physiome, headed by Hellevik, is one of the R&D streams organized under NTNU Biotechnology- the Confluence of Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Engineering, which is one of the three enabling technology programmes at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
In the period 2013-2015, Hellevik headed the NTNU intitiative IKTiSU, to promote the use of numerical methods and ICT in general in the enginering education at NTNU.
- biomechanics of the cardiovascular system
- wave propagation phenomena in the cardiovascular system
- biomechanical application of fluid-structure interaction approaches
- mathematical modeling
- scientific computing
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Effect of side branch flow upon physiological indices in coronary artery disease. Journal of Biomechanics. vol. 103.
- (2020) Uncertainty propagation through a point model for steady-state two-phase pipe flow. Algorithms. vol. 13 (3).
- (2019) Cardiovascular models for personalised medicine: Where now and where next?. Medical Engineering and Physics. vol. 72.
- (2019) Impact of baseline coronary flow and its distribution on Fractional Flow Reserve prediction. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. e3246.
- (2019) Uncertainty quantification of computational coronary stenosis assessment and model based mitigation of image resolution limitations. Journal of Computational Science. vol. 31.
- (2018) Optimization of topological complexity for one-dimensional arterial blood flow models. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. vol. 15:20180546 (149).
- (2018) Uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis for computational FFR estimation in stable coronary artery disease. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. vol. 9 (4).
- (2018) Uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis of material parameters in crystal plasticity finite element models. Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures. vol. 13 (3).
- (2018) Bond Graph Model of Cerebral Circulation: Toward Clinically Feasible Systemic Blood Flow Simulations. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9.
- (2017) Effects of arterial wall models and measurement uncertainties on cardiovascular model predictions. Journal of Biomechanics. vol. 50.
- (2016) A guide to uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis for cardiovascular applications. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. 32 (8).
- (2016) Roadmap for cardiovascular circulation model. Journal of Physiology. vol. 594 (23).
- (2016) Roadmap for cardiovascular circulation model. Journal of Physiology.
- (2015) A benchmark study of numerical schemes for one-dimensional arterial blood flow modelling. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. 31 (10).
- (2015) Stochastic sensitivity analysis for timing and amplitude of pressure waves in the arterial system. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. 31 (4).
- (2013) Velocity profiles in the human ductus venosus: a numerical fluid structure interaction study. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology. vol. 12 (5).
- (2013) Human ductus venosus velocity profiles in the first trimester. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. vol. 4 (3).
- (2012) Application of a strong FSI coupling scheme for the numerical simulation of bileaflet mechanical heart valve dynamics: study of wall shear stress on the valve leaflets. Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal. vol. 12 (2-3).
- (2012) A fast strong coupling algorithm for the partitioned fluidstructure interaction simulation of BMHVs. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. vol. 15 (12).
- (2012) Impact of Pulmonary Venous Locations on the Intra-Atrial Flow and the Mitral Valve Plane Velocity Profile. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. vol. 3 (3).