Background and activities
Leif Rune Hellevik (1967) is a Professor at the Divison of Biomechanics, Department of Structural Engineering.
Since 2011, a primary focus of Hellevik's research has been the development of STARFiSh, which is an acronym for Stochastic Arterial Flow Simulations. In this research code models for pressure and flow waves of blood flow in arterial network are embedded in a framework which allows for uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis of all model parameters with respect to the model predictions.
NTNU Physiome, headed by Hellevik, is one of the R&D streams organized under NTNU Biotechnology- the Confluence of Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences and Engineering, which is one of the three enabling technology programmes at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
He is also heading the NTNU intitiative IKTiSU, to promote the use of numerical methods and ICT in general in the enginering education at NTNU from 2013-2015.
- biomechanics of the cardiovascular system
- wave propagation phenomena in the cardiovascular system
- biomechanical application of fluid-structure interaction approaches
- mathematical modeling
- scientific computing
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Cardiovascular models for personalised medicine: Where now and where next?. Medical Engineering and Physics. vol. 72.
- (2019) Impact of baseline coronary flow and its distribution on Fractional Flow Reserve prediction. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering.
- (2019) Uncertainty quantification of computational coronary stenosis assessment and model based mitigation of image resolution limitations. Journal of Computational Science. vol. 31.
- (2018) Optimization of topological complexity for one-dimensional arterial blood flow models. Journal of the Royal Society Interface. vol. 15:20180546 (149).
- (2018) Uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis for computational FFR estimation in stable coronary artery disease. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. vol. 9 (4).
- (2018) Uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis of material parameters in crystal plasticity finite element models. Journal of Mechanics of Materials and Structures. vol. 13 (3).
- (2018) Bond Graph Model of Cerebral Circulation: Toward Clinically Feasible Systemic Blood Flow Simulations. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9.
- (2017) Effects of arterial wall models and measurement uncertainties on cardiovascular model predictions. Journal of Biomechanics. vol. 50.
- (2016) A guide to uncertainty quantification and sensitivity analysis for cardiovascular applications. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. 32 (8).
- (2016) Roadmap for cardiovascular circulation model. Journal of Physiology. vol. 594 (23).
- (2016) Roadmap for cardiovascular circulation model. Journal of Physiology.
- (2015) A benchmark study of numerical schemes for one-dimensional arterial blood flow modelling. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. 31 (10).
- (2015) Stochastic sensitivity analysis for timing and amplitude of pressure waves in the arterial system. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Biomedical Engineering. vol. 31 (4).
- (2013) Velocity profiles in the human ductus venosus: a numerical fluid structure interaction study. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology. vol. 12 (5).
- (2013) Human ductus venosus velocity profiles in the first trimester. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. vol. 4 (3).
- (2012) Application of a strong FSI coupling scheme for the numerical simulation of bileaflet mechanical heart valve dynamics: study of wall shear stress on the valve leaflets. Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics, An International Journal. vol. 12 (2-3).
- (2012) A fast strong coupling algorithm for the partitioned fluidstructure interaction simulation of BMHVs. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. vol. 15 (12).
- (2012) Impact of Pulmonary Venous Locations on the Intra-Atrial Flow and the Mitral Valve Plane Velocity Profile. Cardiovascular Engineering and Technology. vol. 3 (3).
- (2012) FSI simulation of asymmetric mitral valve dynamics during diastolic filling. Computer Methods in Biomechanics and Biomedical Engineering. vol. 15 (2).
- (2009) An assessment of ductus venosus tapering and wave transmission from the fetal heart. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology. vol. 8 (6).