Background and activities
After a Master degree in Building Engineering at the University of Catania (Italy), Luca Finocchiaro moved to Scotland where he earned a Master of Architecture at the Glasgow School of Art. He worked in Barcelona twice, first as a visiting researcher at the ETSAB in UPC (developing his PhD thesis in environmental control and bioclimatic design) and secondly practicing architecture. Luca is today Associate Professor in “Climate and built forms” and program leader of the MSc program in Sustainable Architecture at NTNU. His main interest and research focus is the analysis and understanding of climate and its implementation into the architectural design of buildings able to passively address their environmental performance towards comfort. Climate and morphological parametric analyses have been, in different research projects, addressed into design guidelines for both the design of new buildings and the energy retrofitting of existing ones. In 2009 Luca was initiator of the NTNU proposal for the Solar Decathlon 2012 and later architect of the LivingLAB and Test Cell projects at the Zero Emission Buildings research center in NTNU.
- AAR4993 - M.Sc. Thesis in Sustainable Architecture
- AAR4832 - Climate and Built Form
- AAR4532 - Climate and Built Form - Design Project
- AAR4546 - Emissions as Design Drivers - Design
- AAR4817 - Emissions as Design Drivers - Theory
- TEP4235 - Energy Management in Buildings
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) BIM integration possibilities in different study cycles of architecture study programme. Journal of sustainable architecture and civil engineering.. vol. 26 (1).
- (2018) Lofoten Peninsula and Eolian Archipelago: Vernacular architecture experiences in two Fisherman`s villages. CSAV Academic Journal for Vernacular Architecture.
- (2017) Boosting solar accessibility and potential of urban districts in the Nordic climate: A case study in Trondheim. Solar Energy. vol. 149.
- (2017) Sustainable Energy in Cities: Methodology and Results of a Summer Course Providing Smart Solutions for a New District in Shanghai. Energy Procedia. vol. 111.
- (2017) Transark - Emerging Pedagogies in Architecture Education. Community Design. vol. 079 (03).
- (2016) Sustainability by improving energy efficiency in traditional housing in Kosovo. Raportti (Tampereen teknillinen yliopisto. Rakennustuotanto ja -talous). vol. 1.
- (2011) Building form, climate and energy supply system in a passive house building. RIL. Suomen Rakennusinsinöörien Liitto.
- (2021) Higher education and innovation. Design of an innovative teaching module for an intensive programme on aeolian architecture. MDPI. 2021. ISBN 978-3-03943-712-2.
- (2019) CLIMATE AND ENERGY FOR REGENERATIVE URBAN DESIGN Local Context, Adaptation, Resilience. 2019. ISBN 978-3-9504607-3-5.
- (2018) Proceedings of the 4th Biennial of Architectural and Urban Restoration BRAU4. 2018. ISBN 978-88-909116-5-1.
- (2018) VVITA Project - Sustainable and inclusive development of strategies to vitalize villages through innovative architecture technologies. Proceedings of the 4th biennial of architectural and urban restoration. 2018. ISBN 978-88-909116-5-1.
- (2017) Beyond Comfort. Energy retrofitting of an historic house in Hou Ji village. 2017. ISBN 978-82-7551-204-6.
- (2016) MSc programme in Sustainable Architecture at NTNU. 2016. ISBN 9781899895212.
- (2016) Environmental performance optimization of a historical courtyard house and the revitalization of the Houji village. The case of Pingyao in China. 2016. ISBN 9781365289156.
- (2014) TRANSark Publication - Book 0. 2014. ISBN 978-82-7551-106-3.
Part of book/report
- (2019) REGENERATIVE ADAPTIVE REUSE AND NEW CONSTRUCTION EXAMPLES. Regenerative design in the digital practice. A handbook for the built environment.
- (2018) Climate Adaptive Design on the Norwegian Coast. Seaside Building Design: Principles and Practice.
- (2018) Sustainability in Architecture education. Re-harmonizing built and natural environment. Formation - Architectural Education in a Nordic Perspective.
- (2017) Bioclimatic Design of Green Buildings. Handbook of Energy Systems in Green Buildings.
- (2017) Architectural design and aesthetics of Zero Emission Buildings: an analysis of perceived architectural qualities in the ZEB Living LAB in Trondheim. Proceedings of 33rd PLEA International Conference : Design to Thrive. Volume 1. Edinburgh, 2th - 5th July 2017.