Background and activities
After a Master degree in Building Engineering at the University of Catania (Italy), Luca Finocchiaro moved to Scotland where he earned a Master of Architecture at the Glasgow School of Art. He worked in Barcelona twice, first as a visiting researcher at the ETSAB in UPC (developing his PhD thesis in environmental control and bioclimatic design) and secondly practicing architecture. Luca is today Associate Professor in “Climate and built forms” and program leader of the MSc program in Sustainable Architecture at NTNU. His main interest and research focus is the analysis and understanding of climate and its implementation into the architectural design of buildings able to passively address their environmental performance towards comfort. Climate and morphological parametric analyses have been, in different research projects, addressed into design guidelines for both the design of new buildings and the energy retrofitting of existing ones. In 2009 Luca was initiator of the NTNU proposal for the Solar Decathlon 2012 and later architect of the LivingLAB and Test Cell projects at the Zero Emission Buildings research center in NTNU.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Boosting solar accessibility and potential of urban districts in the Nordic climate: A case study in Trondheim. Solar Energy. vol. 149.
- (2017) Sustainable Energy in Cities: Methodology and Results of a Summer Course Providing Smart Solutions for a New District in Shanghai. Energy Procedia. vol. 111.
- (2017) Transark - Emerging Pedagogies in Architecture Education. Community Design. vol. 079 (03).
- (2016) Sustainability by improving energy efficiency in traditional housing in Kosovo. Raportti (Tampereen teknillinen yliopisto. Rakennustuotanto ja -talous). vol. 1.
- (2011) Building form, climate and energy supply system in a passive house building. RIL / Suomen Rakennusinsinöörien Liitto.
- (2016) MSc programme in Sustainable Architecture at NTNU. 2016. ISBN 9781899895212.
- (2016) Environmental performance optimization of a historical courtyard house and the revitalization of the Houji village. The case of Pingyao in China. 2016. ISBN 9781365289156.
- (2014) TRANSark Publication - Book 0. 2014. ISBN 978-82-7551-106-3.
Part of book/report
- (2016) Passive solar space heating. Advances in Solar Heating and Cooling.
- (2016) The MSc programme in Sustainable Architecture at NTNU. SMART ENERGY REGIONS - Skills, Knowledge, training and supply chains..
- (2016) Architectural design og Zero Emission Buildings - The case of the LivingLAB at the ZEB research centre. SMART ENERGY REGIONS - Skills, Knowledge, training and supply chains..
- (2015) ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE OPTIMIZATION OF A HISTORICAL COURTYARD HOUSE IN CHINA. Architecture in (R)evolution. PLEA2015 conference proceedings.
- (2015) The ZEB Living Lab at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology: a zero emission house for engineering and social science experiments. Proceedings of the 7PHN Sustainable Cities and Buildings conference held in Copenhagen 20-21 August 2015.
- (2012) +hytte. A versatile construction system for climate adaptability. Long Lasting Building in Urban Transformation.
- (2012) +Hytte. A Versatile Construction System for Zero Emission Buildings. ZEMCH 2012 Conference proceedings.
- (2011) Architecture and climate. Energy and Architecture : Improvement of energy performance in existing buildings.
- (2011) +hytte. Sustainable design among didactics, research and social awareness. SB11 - proceedings vol.2.
- (2011) Symbiosis and mimesis in the built environment. Aesthetics of Sustainable Architecture.
- (2011) The climate/comfort comparison and the basis of sustainable design: Impact of climate change and technological development. Architecture & sustainable development. 27th international conference on passive and low energy architecture. Vol. 1.
- (2011) Building form, climate and energy supply system in a passive house building. PHN11 Helsinki - 4th Nordic Passive House Conference.