Background and activities
PROF. DR.TECHN. MADS NYGÅRD
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
NORWEGIAN UNIV. OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
He was born in Mosjøen, Norway in 1953, and he has taken both his Master of Science (Siv.Ing.) and Doctor of Science (Dr.Techn.) degrees at NTH (the Norwegian Institute of Technology, Trondheim) in 1979 and 1990 respectively. From 1983 to 1997, he worked for SINTEF (the Foundation for Scientific and Industrial Research at the Norwegian Institute of Technology, Trondheim) as Section Head, Research Manager, Principal Research Scientist and Scientist in several different Information and Communication Technology departments. In 1997, he joined NTNU (the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim) as Full Professor at IDI (the Department of Computer and Information Science). From 2013, he is Member of the Board of Directors at IDI - and from 2014, he is Chairman of the Executive Council for Information and Communication Technology at Universities & Colleges in Norway (under the Norwegian Association of Higher Education Institutions). In the period 2010-2014, he was Vice President and Member of the Board of Directors of CESAER (the Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research), and he is still CESAER’s Task Force and Working Group Chairs for both its Benchmarking and Deans Convention activities.
In the period 2009-2013, he was also Dean of Engineering Education for NTNU - and in the period 2013-2017, he has also been Head of External Relations and Cooperation for IDI. Over the years, he has in addition held Adjunct Professor positions at the University of Stavanger, Stavanger (1997-2005) and the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Ås (1994-1997). He has further for longer periods of time worked full time for UNDP (the United Nations Development Program) developing Information and Communication Technology educations in Bangkok, Thailand (1988) and Beijing, China (1984); and part time for OECD (the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) in a Task Force on Road-Vehicle Communication Systems (1989-1992).
His main research interests are distributed systems, database systems and operating systems, and he has in that capacity had longer sabbatical stays at Oslo University in Oslo, Norway (2014), Danish University of Technology in Copenhagen, Denmark (2013), University of Oxford, Lincoln College in Oxford, England (2007), Università degli Studi di Roma, Tor Vergata in Rome, Italy (2007), Université Nice, Sophia Antipolis in Nice, France (2006), Imperial College in London, England (2001) and University of Cape Town in Cape Town, South Africa (2000), and shorter sabbatical visits at Université Joseph Fourier in Grenoble, France (2007), Aarhus University in Aarhus, Denmark (2007), Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, USA (2006), University of Maryland in Maryland College Park, USA (2002-2003) and Georgetown University in Washington D.C., USA (2002-2003).
He has 95 international research publications/presentations, was/is General Co-Chair for the HPCS (High Performance Computing and Simulation) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017 Conferences in Prague, Nicosia, Leipzig, Caen, Istanbul, Madrid, Helsinki, Bologna, Amsterdam, Innsbruck & Genoa respectively, was Technical Program Committee Co-Chair for the CTS (Collaborative Technologies and Systems) 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Conferences in Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia, Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis, Atlanta & Orlando respectively, was Organization Committee Chair for the VLDB (Very Large Data Base) 2005 Conference in Trondheim, was Panel Chairman for the International Benchmarking of the Danish Computer Science Programmes 2005-2006, was Panel Vice Chairman / Acting Chairman for the International Evaluation of the Norwegian Engineering Degree Programmes 2007-2008, and is Panel Chairman for the National Evaluation of the Norwegian Engineering Degree Programmes 2016-2017.
He has been Co-Editor for the Proceedings of the Collaborative Technologies and Systems Conferences in 2014 & 2015. He was Co-Editor of the Special Issue on Advances in High Performance Computing and Simulation in the Concurrency and Computation Practice and Experience 2012 Journal, and is Co-Editor of the Special Issue on Trends and Advances in Collaboration Technologies and Systems in the Concurrency and Computation Practice and Experience 2017 Journal.
In the period 1989-1993 he was Member of the Board of Directors at SINTEF, in the period 2002-2006 Member of the Executive Board for Engineering Education at NTNU, in the period 2009-2013 Chairman of the Executive Board for Engineering Education at NTNU, in the period 2005-2013 Chairman / Vice Chairman / Member of the Board of Directors at UNIK (the University Graduate Centre at Kjeller, Lillestrøm), in the period 2009-2013 Chairman of the Executive Board for the National Council of Technology Education in Norway (under the Norwegian Association of Higher Education Institutions), in the period 2009-2013 Member of the National Forum for Natural Sciences in Norway (under the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research), in the period 2012-2016 Chairman of the Executive Board for the Strategic University Colleges Program in Norway (under the Research Council of Norway), in the period 2009-2013 Member of the Board of Directors / Member of the Executive Board of NORDTEK (the Collaboration of Nordic Technical Universities and University Colleges), and in the period 2010-2013 Chairman / Member of the Education Board for N5T (the Alliance of the Leading Nordic Technical Universities).
Finally over the last 25 years he has been elected Chairman / Member of Several Different Boards of TEKNA (the Norwegian Society of Chartered Technical and Scientific Professionals) - where in the period 2009-2011 he was Vice President of the Board of Directors, and in the period 2011-2013 Chairman of the Board of Representatives.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2013) Development and Validation of Requirements for Evidential Value for Assessing Trustworthiness of Digital Records over Time. Journal of Information. vol. 16 (3(A)).
- (2011) A Metadata Extraction Approach for Selecting Migration Solutions. International Journal of Digital Information and Wireless Communications (IJDIWC). vol. 1 (3).
- (2011) MMET: A Migration Metadata Extraction Tool for Long-Term Preservation Systems. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 167 (2).
- (2011) Empirical Study on Quality Requirements of Migration Metadata. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 253 (5).
- (2011) Assessment of the Trustworthiness of Digital Records. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology.
- (2011) Representing topological relationships for spatiotemporal objects. Geoinformatica. vol. 15 (4).
- (2010) Quality Requirements of Migration Metadata in Long-term Digital Preservation Systems. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 108.
- (2010) A Survey of Digital Preservation Strategies. World Digital Libraries. vol. 3 (2).
- (2007) A Mobile Database Sharing Protocol to Increase Data Availability in Mobile Environments. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 4537.
- (2006) Representing Topological Relationships for Moving Objects. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 4197.
- (2006) Representing Topological Relationships for Moving Objects. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 4197 (1).
- (2005) Using the MOWAHS characterisation framework for development of mobile work applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 3547.
- (2004) A Locking Model for Mobile Databases in Mobile Environments. IASTED International Conference. Applied Informatics. Proceedings.
- (2004) CAGISTrans: Providing Adaptable Transactional Support for Cooperative Work - An Extended Treatment. Journal of Special Topics in Information Technology and Management. vol. 05 (1/2).
- (2004) A fuzzy adaptive algorithm for fine grained cache paging. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 3199.
- (1995) Different Roles and Mutual Dependencies of Data, Information, and Knowledge - an AI perspective on their integration. Data & Knowledge Engineering.
- (1995) Different Roles and Mutual dependencies of Data, Information and Knowledge - An AI Perspective on their Integration. ?. vol. 16.
- (1995) Tailor-made Concurrency Control - Distrubuted Transactions as a Case. Australian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 3 (1).
- (2016) Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS 2016). IEEE conference proceedings. 2016. ISBN 978-1-5090-2088-1.
- (2015) Proceedings of The 2015 International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems : CTS 2015 : June 1-5, 2015. IEEE. 2015. ISBN 978-1-4673-7649-5.