Background and activities
PROF. DR.TECHN. MADS NYGÅRD
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
NORWEGIAN UNIV. OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
He was born in Mosjøen, Norway in 1953, and he has taken both his Master of Science (Siv.Ing.) and Doctor of Science (Dr.Techn.) degrees at NTH (the Norwegian Institute of Technology, Trondheim) in 1979 and 1990 respectively. From 1983 to 1997, he worked for SINTEF (the Foundation for Scientific and Industrial Research at the Norwegian Institute of Technology, Trondheim) as Section Head, Research Manager, Principal Research Scientist and Scientist in several different Information and Communication Technology departments. In 1997, he joined NTNU (the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim) as Full Professor at IDI (the Department of Computer and Information Science). From 2013, he is Member of the Board of Directors at IDI - and from 2014, he is Chairman of the Executive Council for Information and Communication Technology at Universities & Colleges in Norway (under the Norwegian Association of Higher Education Institutions). In the period 2010-2014, he was Vice President and Member of the Board of Directors of CESAER (the Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research), and he is still CESAER’s Task Force and Working Group Chairs for both its Benchmarking and Deans Convention activities.
In the period 2009-2013, he was also Dean of Engineering Education for NTNU - and in the period 2013-2017, he has also been Head of External Relations and Cooperation for IDI. Over the years, he has in addition held Adjunct Professor positions at the University of Stavanger, Stavanger (1997-2005) and the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Ås (1994-1997). He has further for longer periods of time worked full time for UNDP (the United Nations Development Program) developing Information and Communication Technology educations in Bangkok, Thailand (1988) and Beijing, China (1984); and part time for OECD (the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) in a Task Force on Road-Vehicle Communication Systems (1989-1992).
His main research interests are distributed systems, database systems and operating systems, and he has in that capacity had longer sabbatical stays at Oslo University in Oslo, Norway (2014), Danish University of Technology in Copenhagen, Denmark (2013), University of Oxford, Lincoln College in Oxford, England (2007), Università degli Studi di Roma, Tor Vergata in Rome, Italy (2007), Université Nice, Sophia Antipolis in Nice, France (2006), Imperial College in London, England (2001) and University of Cape Town in Cape Town, South Africa (2000), and shorter sabbatical visits at Université Joseph Fourier in Grenoble, France (2007), Aarhus University in Aarhus, Denmark (2007), Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, USA (2006), University of Maryland in Maryland College Park, USA (2002-2003) and Georgetown University in Washington D.C., USA (2002-2003).
He has 95 international research publications/presentations, was/is General Co-Chair for the HPCS (High Performance Computing and Simulation) 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2017 Conferences in Prague, Nicosia, Leipzig, Caen, Istanbul, Madrid, Helsinki, Bologna, Amsterdam, Innsbruck & Genoa respectively, was Technical Program Committee Co-Chair for the CTS (Collaborative Technologies and Systems) 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 & 2016 Conferences in Baltimore, Chicago, Philadelphia, Denver, San Diego, Minneapolis, Atlanta & Orlando respectively, was Organization Committee Chair for the VLDB (Very Large Data Base) 2005 Conference in Trondheim, was Panel Chairman for the International Benchmarking of the Danish Computer Science Programmes 2005-2006, was Panel Vice Chairman / Acting Chairman for the International Evaluation of the Norwegian Engineering Degree Programmes 2007-2008, and is Panel Chairman for the National Evaluation of the Norwegian Engineering Degree Programmes 2016-2017.
He has been Co-Editor for the Proceedings of the Collaborative Technologies and Systems Conferences in 2014 & 2015. He was Co-Editor of the Special Issue on Advances in High Performance Computing and Simulation in the Concurrency and Computation Practice and Experience 2012 Journal, and is Co-Editor of the Special Issue on Trends and Advances in Collaboration Technologies and Systems in the Concurrency and Computation Practice and Experience 2017 Journal.
In the period 1989-1993 he was Member of the Board of Directors at SINTEF, in the period 2002-2006 Member of the Executive Board for Engineering Education at NTNU, in the period 2009-2013 Chairman of the Executive Board for Engineering Education at NTNU, in the period 2005-2013 Chairman / Vice Chairman / Member of the Board of Directors at UNIK (the University Graduate Centre at Kjeller, Lillestrøm), in the period 2009-2013 Chairman of the Executive Board for the National Council of Technology Education in Norway (under the Norwegian Association of Higher Education Institutions), in the period 2009-2013 Member of the National Forum for Natural Sciences in Norway (under the Norwegian Ministry of Education and Research), in the period 2012-2016 Chairman of the Executive Board for the Strategic University Colleges Program in Norway (under the Research Council of Norway), in the period 2009-2013 Member of the Board of Directors / Member of the Executive Board of NORDTEK (the Collaboration of Nordic Technical Universities and University Colleges), and in the period 2010-2013 Chairman / Member of the Education Board for N5T (the Alliance of the Leading Nordic Technical Universities).
Finally over the last 25 years he has been elected Chairman / Member of Several Different Boards of TEKNA (the Norwegian Society of Chartered Technical and Scientific Professionals) - where in the period 2009-2011 he was Vice President of the Board of Directors, and in the period 2011-2013 Chairman of the Board of Representatives.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2020) A European Approach to Micro-Credentials: Output of the Micro-Credential Higher Education Consultation Group. 2020.
- (2020) CESAER White Paper: Next Generation Metrics. 2020.
- (2019) MAPPING THE CDIO SYLLABUS TO THE UNESCO KEY COMPETENCIES FOR SUSTAINABILITY. Research Reports from Turku University of Applied Sciences.
- (2019) Mapping the CDIO Syllabus to the UNESCO Key Competencies for Sustainability. 15th Int. CDIO Conference . Aarhus University; Aarhus. 2019-06-25 - 2019-06-27.
- (2018) Institutionsakkreditering (Genakkreditering) - Aarhus Universitet (AU). 2018.
- (2018) International Evaluation: Doctoral School of Engineering and Science & Technical Doctoral School of IT and Design - Aalborg Universitet (AAU). 2018.
- (2018) ECED-ULD 2018 – Full Program. 2018.
- (2017) Institutionsakkreditering - Aarhus Universitet (AU). 2017.
- (2017) Evaluation of the Implementation of New Framework Regulations for Engineering Education in Norway. 45th SEFI Conference . SEFI; Azores. 2017-09-18 - 2017-09-21.
- (2017) The Munich Message (TUM-CESAER-SEFI). 2017.
- (2017) Special Issue on Trends and Advances in Collaboration Technologies and Systems (Eds.). Concurrency and Computation. vol. 29 (8).
- (2016) Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS 2016). IEEE conference proceedings. 2016. ISBN 978-1-5090-2088-1.
- (2016) Invited Keynote Speech: U-MULTIRANK: Universities' First Experiences. 35th Conference of Rectors and Presidents of European Universities of Technology . Lodz University of Technology; Lodz. 2016-09-16 - 2016-09-17.
- (2016) The London Agenda (SEFI-CESAER-UCL). 2016.
- (2015) NTNUs teknologiutdanninger 1993-2014 - Utdanningsledelse i et 20-årsperspektiv (Presentasjon & Artikkel i Konferanse-proceedings). MNT Konferansen 2015: Teach Less - Learn More . UHR; Bergen. 2015-03-18 - 2015-03-19.
- (2015) Rankings of Engineering Institutions – the Way they are, and the Way they should be. IREG Forum - Rankings by Subject . IREG; Aalborg. 2015-06-11 - 2015-06-12.
- (2015) Kartlegging av læringsutbyttebeskrivelser - Evaluering av læringsutbyttebekrivelser innen datafag. 2015.
- (2015) Proceedings of The 2015 International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems : CTS 2015 : June 1-5, 2015. IEEE. 2015. ISBN 978-1-4673-7649-5.
- (2014) Hvordan lage gode, fremtidsrettete kaffemaskiner ut av dagens ungdom ? Eller hvordan utdanner NTNU sine Siv.ing.-kandidater ? Og hvorfor gjør NTNU det slik de gjør? (Invitert foredrag på UIO). UIO Ledelsesmøte . UIO; Oslo. 2014-04-01 - 2014-04-01.
- (2014) Institutionsakkreditering - Danmarks Tekniske Universitet (DTU). 2014.
- (2014) Proceedings of The 2014 International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems : CTS 2014 : May 19-23, 2014. IEEE. 2014. ISBN 978-1-4799-5157-4.
- (2013) Development and Validation of Requirements for Evidential Value for Assessing Trustworthiness of Digital Records over Time. Journal of Information. vol. 16 (3(A)).
- (2013) Hvordan lage gode kaffemaskiner ut av dagens ungdom ? Eller hvordan utdanner NTNU sine Siv.ing.-kandidater ? Og hvorfor gjør NTNU det annerledes enn DTU ? (Invitert foredrag på DTU). DTUs Ledelsesmøte . DTU; København. 2013-12-21 - 2013-12-21.
- (2013) Rankings: No one Likes them - Everyone Checks them. EAIE 2013 Conference: Weaving the Future of Global Partnerships . EAIE; Istanbul. 2013-09-10 - 2013-09-13.
- (2012) Special Issue on Advances in High Performance Computing and Simulation. Concurrency and Computation. vol. 24 (7).
- (2011) A Metadata Extraction Approach for Selecting Migration Solutions. International Journal of Digital Information and Wireless Communications (IJDIWC). vol. 1 (3).
- (2011) MMET: A Migration Metadata Extraction Tool for Long-Term Preservation Systems. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 167 (2).
- (2011) Using a multi-criteria decision making approach to evaluate format migration solutions. MEDES 2011 ; 2011-11-21 - 2011-11-24.
- (2011) Empirical Study on Quality Requirements of Migration Metadata. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 253 (5).
- (2011) A framework for the assessment of the trustworthiness of digital records over time. Proceeding of 2011 IEEE 10th International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications.
- (2011) Assessment of the Trustworthiness of Digital Records. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology.
- (2011) On Time, Conflict, Weighting and Dependency Aspects of Assessing the Trustworthiness of Digital Records. The Fourth International Conference on Dependability.
- (2011) Styrk finansieringen!. Aftenposten (morgenutg. : trykt utg.).
- (2011) Representing topological relationships for spatiotemporal objects. Geoinformatica. vol. 15 (4).
- (2010) Quality Requirements of Migration Metadata in Long-term Digital Preservation Systems. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 108.
- (2010) Records Transition Survival – When Used over Several Decades. ICDL’2010: 3rd International Conference on Digital Libraries ; 2010-02-23 - 2010-02-26.
- (2010) A Survey of Digital Preservation Strategies. World Digital Libraries. vol. 3 (2).
- (2010) A mathematical framework for modeling and analyzing migration time. Proceedings of the 2010 Joint International Conference on Digital Libraries, JCDL 2010.
- (2009) Requirements for Evidential Value for the Assessment of the Trustworthiness of Digital Records over Time. Proceeding of IEEE Symposium on Trust, Security, and Privacy for Pervasive Applications (TSP) 2009, in conjunction with the 6th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS) 2009.
- (2008) Computing the Probabilities of Operations in Vector Models for Uncertain Spatial Data. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Signal Image Technology & Internet Based Systems.
- (2008) A Transaction Framework for Mobile Data Sharing Services. Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies - UBICOMM '08. International Conference, proceedings.
- (2008) Representing Uncertainty in Spatial Databases. Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS 2008).
- (2008) Computing the Probabilities of Operations in Vector Models for Uncertain Spatial Data. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Signal ImageTechnology and Internet Based Systems.
- (2008) Representing Uncertainty in Spatial Databases. 6th Internat. Conference on High Performance Computing and Simulation ; Nicosia ¿ Cyprus. 2008-06-03 - 2008-06-06.
- (2008) From Scenarios to Requirements in Mobile Client-Server Systems. Designing Software-Intensive Systems: Methods and Principles.
- (2007) A Mobile Database Sharing Protocol to Increase Data Availability in Mobile Environments. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 4537.
- (2007) A Transaction Model for Supporting Mobile Collaborative Works. Proceedings of the 2007 International Symposium on Collaborative Technologies and Systems.
- (2007) Peer-to-peer Technology: Where Is It Heading?. Proceedings of the Sixteenth IEEE International Workshops on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises.
- (2006) Representing Topological Relationships for Moving Objects. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 4197.
- (2006) Transaction Processing with Mobile Collaborative Works. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Collaborative Computing (Collaboratecom 2005).
- (2006) Computer Science – International Benchmarking of Danish Computer Science. 2006.
- (2006) Representing Topological Relationships for Moving Objects. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 4197 (1).
- (2005) Mobile Affiliation Model for Supporting Collaborative Work in Mobile Environments. Proceedings of the CAiSE'05 Workshops.
- (2005) Mobile Transaction System for Supporting Mobile Work. 16th International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 2005), 22-26 August 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- (2005) Using the MOWAHS characterisation framework for development of mobile work applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 3547.
- (2004) A Locking Model for Mobile Databases in Mobile Environments. IASTED International Conference. Applied Informatics. Proceedings.
- (2004) CAGISTrans: Providing Adaptable Transactional Support for Cooperative Work - An Extended Treatment. Journal of Special Topics in Information Technology and Management. vol. 05 (1/2).
- (2004) A fuzzy adaptive algorithm for fine grained cache paging. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 3199.
- (2004) A Discrete Model for Topological Relationships between Uncertain Spatial Objects. 11th International Symposium on Spatial Data Handling ; Leicester, Storbritannia. 2004-08-23 - 2004-08-23.
- (2004) Computing Probabilities or Fuzzy Set Values in Vector Models for Uncertain Data. Third International Conference on Geographical Information Science ; University of Maryland Conference Center, Adelphi, Maryland, USA. 2004-10-20 - 2004-10-23.
- (2003) A Medium Complexity Discrete Model for Uncertain Spatial Data. Seventh International Database Engineering and Applications Symposium (IDEAS) . [Mangler data]; Hong Kong SAR, Kina. 2003-07-18.
- (2003) Storing Spatial Data with Temporal Uncertainty. Second IASTED International Conference on Information and Knowledge Sharing . [Mangler data]; Scottsdale, Arizona, USA. 2003-11-19.
- (2002) Supporting customisable transactions for cooperative work: An experience paper. 2002 Western Multi conference (WMC 02) � Collaborative Technologies Symposium 2002 (CTS 02) . [Mangler data]; San Antonio, Texas USA. 2002-01-31.
- (2002) The MOWAHS Characterisation Framework for Mobile Work. IASTED International Conference on Applied Informatics (AI'2002), . [Mangler data]; Innsbruck, Østerrike. 2002-02-21.
- (2002) Abstract and Discrete Models for Uncertain Spatiotemporal Data. 14th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management . [Mangler data]; Edinburgh, Storbritannia. 2002-07-26.
- (2002) An Advanced Discrete Model for Uncertain Spatial Data. The Third International Conference on Web-Age Information Management . [Mangler data]; Beijing, Kina. 2002-08-13.
- (2002) Uncertainty in Spatiotemporal Databases. Second Biennial International Conference on Advances in Information Systems . [Mangler data]; Izmir, Tyrkia. 2002-10-25.
- (2001) CAGISTrans: A Transactional Framework for Cooperative Work. International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems (PDCS2001) . [Mangler data]; Dallas, USA. 2001-08-10.
- (2001) CAGISTrans: Providing adaptable transactional support for cooperative work. 6th INFORMS Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST-2001) . INFORMS; Miami. 2001-11-04.
- (2001) Modelling Uncertainty in Spatial and Spatiotemporal Databases. Invited Talk - WIM’01 Wireless Information Management ; Aalborg. 2001-01-01.
- (2000) In Search of Transactional Quarks. Invited Talk - Department of Computer Science, University of Cape Town ; Cape Town. 2000-01-01.
- (2000) Theoretical and Applied Mathematics - A Computer Science Viewpoint. Invited Talk – In Proc. 1st Nordic Workshop on Mathematics Education for MSc Students ; Trondheim. 2000-01-01.
- (1999) Cooperative database system: A constructive review of cooperative transaction models. 1999 International Symposium on Database Applications in Non-Traditional Environments(DANTE '99) . [Mangler data]; Kyoto, Japan, 28.-30. november 1999.
- (1998) The TRENDS Research Project - Report from the External Reviews. 1998.
- (1997) Stepwisly Committing Transactions: How to Manage their Termination in Distributed Databases. Invited Talk - Department of Computer and Information Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology ; Trondheim. 1997-01-01.
- (1996) OMODIS - Object-Oriented Modelling and Database Support for Distributed Multimedia Systems. In Proc. NIK’96: 9th Norwegian Informatics Conference ; Alta. 1996-01-01.
- (1995) Different Roles and Mutual Dependencies of Data, Information, and Knowledge - an AI perspective on their integration. Data & Knowledge Engineering.
- (1995) RTI / ITS in Integrated Operation - Norway’s Regional Road Traffic Centres. In Proc. IEEE VNIS ’95: 6th Internat. Conference on Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems ; Seattle. 1995-01-01.
- (1995) Tailor-Made Concurrency Control - Distributed Transactions As A Case. AJIS. Australian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 3 (1).
- (1994) Concurrency Control and Distributed Transactions: An Efficient Approach. In Proc. SCCC ’94: 14th Internat. Conference of the Chilean Computer Science Society ; Coception. 1994-01-01.
- (1994) Partial Recoverability with Distributed Transactions. In Proc. IEEE IPCCC’94: 1994 Internat. Phoenix Conference on Computers and Communications ; Phoenix. 1994-01-01.
- (1994) Recovery of Distributed Transactions: A Flexible Approach. In Proc. SCCC ’94: 14th Internat. Conference of the Chilean Computer Science Society ; Conception. 1994-01-01.
- (1994) Reflections on State-of-the-Art within RTI / IVHS. In Proc. IEEE VNIS ’94: 5th Internat. Conference on Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems ; Tokyo. 1994-01-01.
- (1994) Tailor-Made Concurrency Control with Specialized Distributed Transactions. In Proc. ACIS’94: 5th Australasian Conference on Information Systems ; Melbourne. 1994-01-01.
- (1993) Article-Acquisition: A Scenario for Non-Serializability in a Distributed Database. In Proc. PARLE ’93: 1993 Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe Conference ; Munich. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) BINMOD: A Model for Non-Serializability in Distributed Databases. BNCOD 11: 11th British National Conference on Databases ; Stoke. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Distributed Databases - Limitations and Possibilities. Invited Talk - IFIP TC6’93 Internat. Symposium on Network Information Processing Systems ; Sofia. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Multi-Criteria: Degrees of Recoverability in Distributed Databases. In Proc. PARLE ’93: 1993 Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe Conference ; Munich. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Relaxed Criteria for Concurrency Control in Distributed Databases. In Proc. IFIP TC6’93 Internat. Symposium on Network Information Processing Systems ; Sofia. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Sensible Variants of Non-Serializability in Replicated Distributed Databases. In Proc. IFIP TC6’93 Internat. Symposium on Network Information Processing Systems ; Sofia. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) VARCRIT: Degrees of Serializability in Replicated Distributed Databases. BNCOD 11: 11th British National Conference on Databases ; Stoke. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Road Transport Informatics: Conceptual Framework and Technological Components. In Proc. IEEE VNIS ’93: 4th Internat. Conference on Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems ; Ottawa. 1993-01-01.
- (1992) Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems - Practical Evaluation. 1992.
- (1992) Automatic Traffic Control in Norway - Functional and Political Issues. In Proc. IEEE VNIS ’92: 3rd Internat. Conference on Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems ; Oslo. 1992-01-01.
- (1992) Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems - Theoretical Study. 1992.