Background and activities
Prof. Dr. Techn. Mads Nygård
Dean of Engineering Education, NTNU
Chair, Norwegian National Council for
STEM Education & Research
Chair, CESAER Task Force Benchmarking
Mads Nygård is since 1997 a Full Professor in IDI (Department of Computer Science) at NTNU (Norwegian University of Science and Technology), from which he was also awarded his Doctorate degree in 1990. From 2017, and also in the period 2009-2013, he is and was Dean of Engineering Education for all NTNU, while in the period 2013-2017 he was Head of External Relations and Cooperation at IDI/NTNU. In the period 1983-1997, he was employed in SINTEF (Foundation for Scientific and Industrial Research at the Norwegian Institute of Technology) in different ICT departments as Scientist, Principle Research Scientist, Section Head and Research Manager. From 2020, and in the period 2009-2013, he is and was Chairman of the National Council for all STEM Education and Research in Norway. In the period 2014-2020, he was Chairman of the National Council for ICT Education and Research in Norway. In the period 2010-2014, he was Vice President and Member of the Board of Directors of CESAER (Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research), and he still is CESAER’s Task Force Chairman for its benchmarking activities. In the period 2009-2013, he was Chairman of the Board of Directors at UNIK (University Graduate Centre at Kjeller), and in the period 2012-2016, Chairman of the Executive Board for the Strategic University Colleges Program in Norway. In the period 2007-2019, he was General Co-Chair for HPCS (the High Performance Computing and Simulation Conferences), in the period 2009-2016, was Technical Program Committee Co-Chair for CTS (the Collaborative Technologies and Systems Conferences), and in 2005, was Organization Committee Chair for VLDB (the Very Large Data Base Conference). In the period 2009-2011, he was Vice President of the Board of Directors, and in the period 2011-2013 Chairman of the Board of Representatives of TEKNA (Norwegian Society of Chartered Technical and Scientific Professionals). He has more than 100 international publications / presentations.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Next Generation Metrics – A White Paper by CESAER. 12th LIS Bibliometrics Conference . LISBIB; Bath. 2021-04-28 - 2021-04-28.
- (2021) How to transform All Our Brilliant Ideas into Sustainable Results. ISCN 2021 - 15th International Sustainable Campus Network Conference . ISCN - International Sustainable Campus Network; Lausanne (Digital). 2021-06-02 - 2021-06-04.
- (2020) A European Approach to Micro-Credentials: Output of the Micro-Credential Higher Education Consultation Group. 2020.
- (2020) CESAER White Paper: Next Generation Metrics. 2020.
- (2019) MAPPING THE CDIO SYLLABUS TO THE UNESCO KEY COMPETENCIES FOR SUSTAINABILITY. Research Reports from Turku University of Applied Sciences.
- (2019) Mapping the CDIO Syllabus to the UNESCO Key Competencies for Sustainability. 15th Int. CDIO Conference . Aarhus University; Aarhus. 2019-06-25 - 2019-06-27.
- (2018) Institutionsakkreditering (Genakkreditering) - Aarhus Universitet (AU). 2018.
- (2018) International Evaluation: Doctoral School of Engineering and Science & Technical Doctoral School of IT and Design - Aalborg Universitet (AAU). 2018.
- (2018) ECED-ULD 2018 – Full Program. 2018.
- (2017) Institutionsakkreditering - Aarhus Universitet (AU). 2017.
- (2017) Evaluation of the Implementation of New Framework Regulations for Engineering Education in Norway. 45th SEFI Conference . SEFI; Azores. 2017-09-18 - 2017-09-21.
- (2017) The Munich Message (TUM-CESAER-SEFI). 2017.
- (2017) Special Issue on Trends and Advances in Collaboration Technologies and Systems (Eds.). Concurrency and Computation. vol. 29 (8).
- (2016) Proceedings of the 14th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS 2016). IEEE conference proceedings. 2016. ISBN 978-1-5090-2088-1.
- (2016) Invited Keynote Speech: U-MULTIRANK: Universities' First Experiences. 35th Conference of Rectors and Presidents of European Universities of Technology . Lodz University of Technology; Lodz. 2016-09-16 - 2016-09-17.
- (2016) The London Agenda (SEFI-CESAER-UCL). 2016.
- (2015) NTNUs teknologiutdanninger 1993-2014 - Utdanningsledelse i et 20-årsperspektiv (Presentasjon & Artikkel i Konferanse-proceedings). MNT Konferansen 2015: Teach Less - Learn More . UHR; Bergen. 2015-03-18 - 2015-03-19.
- (2015) Rankings of Engineering Institutions – the Way they are, and the Way they should be. IREG Forum - Rankings by Subject . IREG; Aalborg. 2015-06-11 - 2015-06-12.
- (2015) Kartlegging av læringsutbyttebeskrivelser - Evaluering av læringsutbyttebekrivelser innen datafag. 2015.
- (2015) Proceedings of The 2015 International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems : CTS 2015 : June 1-5, 2015. IEEE. 2015. ISBN 978-1-4673-7649-5.
- (2014) Hvordan lage gode, fremtidsrettete kaffemaskiner ut av dagens ungdom ? Eller hvordan utdanner NTNU sine Siv.ing.-kandidater ? Og hvorfor gjør NTNU det slik de gjør? (Invitert foredrag på UIO). UIO Ledelsesmøte . UIO; Oslo. 2014-04-01 - 2014-04-01.
- (2014) Institutionsakkreditering - Danmarks Tekniske Universitet (DTU). 2014.
- (2014) Proceedings of The 2014 International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems : CTS 2014 : May 19-23, 2014. IEEE. 2014. ISBN 978-1-4799-5157-4.
- (2013) Development and Validation of Requirements for Evidential Value for Assessing Trustworthiness of Digital Records over Time. Journal of Information. vol. 16 (3(A)).
- (2013) Hvordan lage gode kaffemaskiner ut av dagens ungdom ? Eller hvordan utdanner NTNU sine Siv.ing.-kandidater ? Og hvorfor gjør NTNU det annerledes enn DTU ? (Invitert foredrag på DTU). DTUs Ledelsesmøte . DTU; København. 2013-12-21 - 2013-12-21.
- (2013) Rankings: No one Likes them - Everyone Checks them. EAIE 2013 Conference: Weaving the Future of Global Partnerships . EAIE; Istanbul. 2013-09-10 - 2013-09-13.
- (2012) Special Issue on Advances in High Performance Computing and Simulation. Concurrency and Computation. vol. 24 (7).
- (2011) A Metadata Extraction Approach for Selecting Migration Solutions. International Journal of Digital Information and Wireless Communications (IJDIWC). vol. 1 (3).
- (2011) MMET: A Migration Metadata Extraction Tool for Long-Term Preservation Systems. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 167 (2).
- (2011) Using a multi-criteria decision making approach to evaluate format migration solutions. MEDES 2011 ; 2011-11-21 - 2011-11-24.
- (2011) Empirical Study on Quality Requirements of Migration Metadata. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 253 (5).
- (2011) A framework for the assessment of the trustworthiness of digital records over time. Proceeding of 2011 IEEE 10th International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications.
- (2011) Assessment of the Trustworthiness of Digital Records. IFIP Advances in Information and Communication Technology.
- (2011) On Time, Conflict, Weighting and Dependency Aspects of Assessing the Trustworthiness of Digital Records. The Fourth International Conference on Dependability.
- (2011) Styrk finansieringen!. Aftenposten (morgenutg. : trykt utg.).
- (2011) Representing topological relationships for spatiotemporal objects. Geoinformatica. vol. 15 (4).
- (2010) Quality Requirements of Migration Metadata in Long-term Digital Preservation Systems. Communications in Computer and Information Science. vol. 108.
- (2010) Records Transition Survival – When Used over Several Decades. ICDL’2010: 3rd International Conference on Digital Libraries ; 2010-02-23 - 2010-02-26.
- (2010) A Survey of Digital Preservation Strategies. World Digital Libraries. vol. 3 (2).
- (2010) A mathematical framework for modeling and analyzing migration time. Proceedings of the 2010 Joint International Conference on Digital Libraries, JCDL 2010.
- (2009) Requirements for Evidential Value for the Assessment of the Trustworthiness of Digital Records over Time. Proceeding of IEEE Symposium on Trust, Security, and Privacy for Pervasive Applications (TSP) 2009, in conjunction with the 6th IEEE International Conference on Mobile Ad Hoc and Sensor Systems (MASS) 2009.
- (2008) Computing the Probabilities of Operations in Vector Models for Uncertain Spatial Data. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Signal Image Technology & Internet Based Systems.
- (2008) A Transaction Framework for Mobile Data Sharing Services. Mobile Ubiquitous Computing, Systems, Services and Technologies - UBICOMM '08. International Conference, proceedings.
- (2008) Representing Uncertainty in Spatial Databases. Proceedings of the 2008 International Conference on High Performance Computing & Simulation (HPCS 2008).
- (2008) Computing the Probabilities of Operations in Vector Models for Uncertain Spatial Data. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Signal ImageTechnology and Internet Based Systems.
- (2008) Representing Uncertainty in Spatial Databases. 6th Internat. Conference on High Performance Computing and Simulation ; Nicosia ¿ Cyprus. 2008-06-03 - 2008-06-06.
- (2008) From Scenarios to Requirements in Mobile Client-Server Systems. Designing Software-Intensive Systems: Methods and Principles.
- (2007) A Mobile Database Sharing Protocol to Increase Data Availability in Mobile Environments. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 4537.
- (2007) A Transaction Model for Supporting Mobile Collaborative Works. Proceedings of the 2007 International Symposium on Collaborative Technologies and Systems.
- (2007) Peer-to-peer Technology: Where Is It Heading?. Proceedings of the Sixteenth IEEE International Workshops on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises.
- (2006) Representing Topological Relationships for Moving Objects. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 4197.
- (2006) Transaction Processing with Mobile Collaborative Works. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Collaborative Computing (Collaboratecom 2005).
- (2006) Computer Science – International Benchmarking of Danish Computer Science. 2006.
- (2006) Representing Topological Relationships for Moving Objects. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 4197 (1).
- (2005) Mobile Affiliation Model for Supporting Collaborative Work in Mobile Environments. Proceedings of the CAiSE'05 Workshops.
- (2005) Mobile Transaction System for Supporting Mobile Work. 16th International Workshop on Database and Expert Systems Applications (DEXA 2005), 22-26 August 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- (2005) Using the MOWAHS characterisation framework for development of mobile work applications. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 3547.
- (2004) A Locking Model for Mobile Databases in Mobile Environments. IASTED International Conference. Applied Informatics. Proceedings.
- (2004) CAGISTrans: Providing Adaptable Transactional Support for Cooperative Work - An Extended Treatment. Journal of Special Topics in Information Technology and Management. vol. 05 (1/2).
- (2004) A fuzzy adaptive algorithm for fine grained cache paging. Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS). vol. 3199.
- (2004) A Discrete Model for Topological Relationships between Uncertain Spatial Objects. 11th International Symposium on Spatial Data Handling ; Leicester, Storbritannia. 2004-08-23 - 2004-08-23.
- (2004) Computing Probabilities or Fuzzy Set Values in Vector Models for Uncertain Data. Third International Conference on Geographical Information Science ; University of Maryland Conference Center, Adelphi, Maryland, USA. 2004-10-20 - 2004-10-23.
- (2003) A Medium Complexity Discrete Model for Uncertain Spatial Data. Seventh International Database Engineering and Applications Symposium (IDEAS) . [Mangler data]; Hong Kong SAR, Kina. 2003-07-18.
- (2003) Storing Spatial Data with Temporal Uncertainty. Second IASTED International Conference on Information and Knowledge Sharing . [Mangler data]; Scottsdale, Arizona, USA. 2003-11-19.
- (2002) Supporting customisable transactions for cooperative work: An experience paper. 2002 Western Multi conference (WMC 02) � Collaborative Technologies Symposium 2002 (CTS 02) . [Mangler data]; San Antonio, Texas USA. 2002-01-31.
- (2002) The MOWAHS Characterisation Framework for Mobile Work. IASTED International Conference on Applied Informatics (AI'2002), . [Mangler data]; Innsbruck, Østerrike. 2002-02-21.
- (2002) Abstract and Discrete Models for Uncertain Spatiotemporal Data. 14th International Conference on Scientific and Statistical Database Management . [Mangler data]; Edinburgh, Storbritannia. 2002-07-26.
- (2002) An Advanced Discrete Model for Uncertain Spatial Data. The Third International Conference on Web-Age Information Management . [Mangler data]; Beijing, Kina. 2002-08-13.
- (2002) Uncertainty in Spatiotemporal Databases. Second Biennial International Conference on Advances in Information Systems . [Mangler data]; Izmir, Tyrkia. 2002-10-25.
- (2001) CAGISTrans: A Transactional Framework for Cooperative Work. International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Computing Systems (PDCS2001) . [Mangler data]; Dallas, USA. 2001-08-10.
- (2001) CAGISTrans: Providing adaptable transactional support for cooperative work. 6th INFORMS Conference on Information Systems and Technology (CIST-2001) . INFORMS; Miami. 2001-11-04.
- (2001) Modelling Uncertainty in Spatial and Spatiotemporal Databases. Invited Talk - WIM’01 Wireless Information Management ; Aalborg. 2001-01-01.
- (2000) In Search of Transactional Quarks. Invited Talk - Department of Computer Science, University of Cape Town ; Cape Town. 2000-01-01.
- (2000) Theoretical and Applied Mathematics - A Computer Science Viewpoint. Invited Talk – In Proc. 1st Nordic Workshop on Mathematics Education for MSc Students ; Trondheim. 2000-01-01.
- (1999) Cooperative database system: A constructive review of cooperative transaction models. 1999 International Symposium on Database Applications in Non-Traditional Environments(DANTE '99) . [Mangler data]; Kyoto, Japan, 28.-30. november 1999.
- (1998) The TRENDS Research Project - Report from the External Reviews. 1998.
- (1997) Stepwisly Committing Transactions: How to Manage their Termination in Distributed Databases. Invited Talk - Department of Computer and Information Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology ; Trondheim. 1997-01-01.
- (1996) OMODIS - Object-Oriented Modelling and Database Support for Distributed Multimedia Systems. In Proc. NIK’96: 9th Norwegian Informatics Conference ; Alta. 1996-01-01.
- (1995) Different Roles and Mutual Dependencies of Data, Information, and Knowledge - an AI perspective on their integration. Data & Knowledge Engineering.
- (1995) RTI / ITS in Integrated Operation - Norway’s Regional Road Traffic Centres. In Proc. IEEE VNIS ’95: 6th Internat. Conference on Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems ; Seattle. 1995-01-01.
- (1995) Tailor-Made Concurrency Control - Distributed Transactions As A Case. AJIS. Australian Journal of Information Systems. vol. 3 (1).
- (1994) Concurrency Control and Distributed Transactions: An Efficient Approach. In Proc. SCCC ’94: 14th Internat. Conference of the Chilean Computer Science Society ; Coception. 1994-01-01.
- (1994) Partial Recoverability with Distributed Transactions. In Proc. IEEE IPCCC’94: 1994 Internat. Phoenix Conference on Computers and Communications ; Phoenix. 1994-01-01.
- (1994) Recovery of Distributed Transactions: A Flexible Approach. In Proc. SCCC ’94: 14th Internat. Conference of the Chilean Computer Science Society ; Conception. 1994-01-01.
- (1994) Reflections on State-of-the-Art within RTI / IVHS. In Proc. IEEE VNIS ’94: 5th Internat. Conference on Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems ; Tokyo. 1994-01-01.
- (1994) Tailor-Made Concurrency Control with Specialized Distributed Transactions. In Proc. ACIS’94: 5th Australasian Conference on Information Systems ; Melbourne. 1994-01-01.
- (1993) Article-Acquisition: A Scenario for Non-Serializability in a Distributed Database. In Proc. PARLE ’93: 1993 Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe Conference ; Munich. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) BINMOD: A Model for Non-Serializability in Distributed Databases. BNCOD 11: 11th British National Conference on Databases ; Stoke. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Distributed Databases - Limitations and Possibilities. Invited Talk - IFIP TC6’93 Internat. Symposium on Network Information Processing Systems ; Sofia. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Multi-Criteria: Degrees of Recoverability in Distributed Databases. In Proc. PARLE ’93: 1993 Parallel Architectures and Languages Europe Conference ; Munich. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Relaxed Criteria for Concurrency Control in Distributed Databases. In Proc. IFIP TC6’93 Internat. Symposium on Network Information Processing Systems ; Sofia. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Sensible Variants of Non-Serializability in Replicated Distributed Databases. In Proc. IFIP TC6’93 Internat. Symposium on Network Information Processing Systems ; Sofia. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) VARCRIT: Degrees of Serializability in Replicated Distributed Databases. BNCOD 11: 11th British National Conference on Databases ; Stoke. 1993-01-01.
- (1993) Road Transport Informatics: Conceptual Framework and Technological Components. In Proc. IEEE VNIS ’93: 4th Internat. Conference on Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems ; Ottawa. 1993-01-01.
- (1992) Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems - Practical Evaluation. 1992.
- (1992) Automatic Traffic Control in Norway - Functional and Political Issues. In Proc. IEEE VNIS ’92: 3rd Internat. Conference on Vehicle Navigation & Information Systems ; Oslo. 1992-01-01.
- (1992) Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems - Theoretical Study. 1992.