Background and activities
- M.D. 1988
- Ph.d. 1996
- Specialist in clinical immunology and transfusion medicine
- Professor of cell biology and hematological cancer, NTNU
- Senior Consultant, Dept. of Immunology and Transfusion Medicine, St. Olavs Hospital
Research highlights in the study of multiple myeloma (MM):
- 1993: Description of a new separation method for MM cells based on antibodies against syndecan-1 (CD138).
- 1994: Establishment of OH-2, an IL-6- and TNF-dependent MM cell line that has since been shown to be a unique hyperdiploid cell line without IgH translocations.
- 1996: The first publication ever on NF-kappa-B activation in human MM cells
- 1996: First publications on expression of hepatocyte growth factor (HGF) and autocrine stimulation of the HGF receptor c-Met in MM cells.
- 1996: Elevation of HGF in serum from patients with MM compared to healthy controls
- 1998: Serum HGF concentration is a prognostic factor for patients with MM and is reduced after response to treatment.
- 1999: Description of a dual role of Fas in myeloma cells; induction of both apoptosis and proliferative responses.
- 1999: HGF induces production of the osteoclast-stimulating cytokine IL-11 in osteoblastic cells.
- 1999: First paper showing proliferation of myeloma cells induced by IL-15 and production of IL-15 mRNA in MM cells.
- 1999: Establishment of a mouse model for MM showing depletion of osteoblasts from affected skeletal tissue.
- 2000: First paper on prognostic impact of serum level of syndecan-1 in patients with MM
- 2000: Polarization of syndecan-1 and heparin-binding molecules on the surface of MM cells
- 2000: High levels of syndecan-1 in MM bone marrow modulate the activity of HGF.
- 2000: First paper on expression of urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) and the aPA receptor in MM cells.
- 2001: Bone morphogenetic protein-4 (BMP-4) induces apoptosis in MM cells.
- 2001: First paper showing reduced levels of osteoprotegerin (OPG) in serum from patients with MM
- 2002: First paper on proliferative effect of IL-21 on MM cells.
- 2002: Serum IGF-1 is not elevated in MM patients, but is still a prognostic factor
- 2002: OPG is bound and internalized by MM cells.
- 2004: BMP-5, -6 and -7 induce apoptosis in MM cells.
- 2004: Osteopontin is an adhesive factor for MM cells and is increased in serum from patients with MM
- 2005: An inhibitor of HGF receptor c-Met blocks autocrine growth of MM cells.
- 2005: HGF induces adhesion of MM cells to fibronectin
- 2006: First paper showing that toll-like receptors mediate proliferation of MM cells.
- 2007: HGF inhibits BMP-induced osteoclastogensis.
- 2008: Metastasis-associated phosphatase PRL-3 is expressed in malignant but not in healthy plasma cells.
- 2008: HGF promotes migration of MM cells
- 2008: Elevated serum levels of HGF activator in patients with MM
- 2010: Myeloma cell line OH-2 is hyperdiploid and represents a subgroup of myeloma cases that are frequent but rarely give rise to cell lines.
- 2011: The kinase SGK-1 is expressed in myeloma cells where it promotes cell growth.
- 2012: BMPs induce apoptosis of myeloma cells by repressing MYC.
- 2013: Anti-c-Met nanobodies as potetial myeloma drug.
- 2013: Synergy between HGF, IGF-1 and SGK-1 in promoting myeloma cell growth.
- 2016: PRL-3 is important for IL-6-mediated survival of myeloma cells.
- 2017: Src Family Kinases Are Regulated in Multiple Myeloma Cells by PRL-3
- 2017: First papers showing that PRL-3 is overexpressed in prostate cancer cells and is associated with an unfavorable prognosis
- 2018: PRL-3 is expressed and is important for migration in B cell lymphoblastic leukemia and Hodgkin lymphoma
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Raised serum levels of syndecan-1 (CDs138), in a case of acute idiopathic systemic capillary leak syndrome (SCLS) (Clarkson's disease). The American journal of case reports. vol. 19.
- (2018) Phosphatase of regenerating liver-3 (PRL-3) is overexpressed in classical Hodgkin lymphoma and promotes survival and migration. Experimental hematology and oncology. vol. 7:8.
- (2017) Expression of phosphatase of regenerating liver (PRL)-3, is independently associated with biochemical failure, clinical failure and death in prostate cancer. PLoS ONE. vol. 12 (11).
- (2017) Phosphatase of regenerating liver-3 is expressed in acute lymphoblastic leukemia and mediates leukemic cell adhesion, migration and drug resistance. OncoTarget. vol. 9 (3).
- (2017) Monitoring multiple myeloma by quantification of recurrent mutations in serum. Haematologica. vol. 102 (7).
- (2016) Src family kinases are regulated in multiple myeloma cells by phosphatase of regenerating liver-3. Molecular Cancer Research. vol. 15 (1).
- (2016) The phosphatase of regenerating liver-3 (PRL-3) is importantfor IL-6-mediated survival of myeloma cells. OncoTarget. vol. 7 (19).
- (2016) Phosphatase of regenerating liver 3 (PRL-3) is overexpressed in human prostate cancer tissue and promotes growth and migration. Journal of Translational Medicine. vol. 14 (71).
- (2016) VOLIN and KJON—Two novel hyperdiploid myeloma cell lines. Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer. vol. 55 (11).
- (2016) Erythropoietin (EPO)-receptor signaling induces cell death of primary myeloma cells in vitro. Journal of Hematology & Oncology. vol. 9 (75).
- (2015) MYC amplifications in myeloma cell lines: Correlation with MYC-inhibitor efficacy. OncoTarget. vol. 6 (26).
- (2015) Allelic mutations in noncoding genomic sequences construct novel transcription factor binding sites that promote gene overexpression. Genes, Chromosomes and Cancer. vol. 54 (11).
- (2014) Identification of the source of elevated hepatocyte growth factor levels in multiple myeloma patients. Biomarker Research. vol. 2 (1).
- (2014) PRL-3 Mediates Survival of Primary Myeloma Cells. Blood. vol. 124.
- (2014) Bronchoalveolar lavage fluid IFN- γ + Th17 cells and regulatory T cells in pulmonary sarcoidosis. Mediators of Inflammation. vol. 2014.
- (2014) Activated CD8+ T cells and natural killer T cells in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid in hypersensitivity pneumonitis and sarcoidosis. Sarcoidosis Vasculities and Diffuse Lung Diseases. vol. 31 (4).
- (2014) Activated CD8+ T Cells and NKT Cells in BAL Fluid Improve Diagnostic Accuracy in Sarcoidosis. Lung. vol. 192 (1).
- (2013) Decorin is down-regulated in multiple myeloma and MGUS bone marrow plasma and inhibits HGF-induced myeloma plasma cell viability and migration. European Journal of Haematology. vol. 91 (3).
- (2013) A method for measurement of drug sensitivity of myeloma cells co-cultured with bone marrow stromal cells. Journal of Biomolecular Screening. vol. 18 (6).
- (2013) HGF and IGF-1 synergize with SDF-1α in promoting migration of myeloma cells by cooperative activation of p21-activated kinase. Experimental Hematology. vol. 41 (7).