Background and activities
Marit Reitan is Pro-Rector for Education at NTNU from 1 august 2020.
The Pro-Rector for Education has the main responsibility for education at NTNU and ensuring the strategic development and quality within the educational area. She is the Chair of NTNU's Education Committee and member of several education-related networks and groups. The Pro-Rector is also responsible for the university library.
Reitan was the Dean at the Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences 1 January 2017-31 July 2020. She was the Dean at the Faculty of Social Sciences and Tehnology Management 2013-2016. She is Professor of Political Science specializing in public policy and administration and she has a special interest in environment and energy policy, natural resource management and local politics.
Reitan obtained her cand.polit. in Political Science from the University of Oslo in 1990 and her Ph.D. from the same institution in 1998. Prior to this, she was a research assistant and researcher at the Norwegian Institute for Urban and Regional Research and a graduate student at the Department of Political Science at the University of Oslo. She has been a Professor at the Department of Sociology and Political Science since 2009 and was an Associate Professor there from 1998 – 2009. During the period 2009 – 2012, Reitan was the Chair of the Department of Sociology and Political Science. She was a guest researcher at the University of California, Berkeley from 2012 – 2013.
Reitan has participated in diverse research projects which have received both national and international financing. In the period 2006 – 2012, she participated in the programs “Democracy and Governance in Regional Context” (DEMOSREG) and “Climate Change and Consequences in Norway” (CLIMADAPT) both financed by the Norwegian Research Council (NFR).
Reitan has held various positions in the research and education sector. She has been the chairwomen of UHR-Social Science and she si deputy chairwoman at SINTEF. She has been a Board member of the Norwegian Institute for Social Resarch, the Norwegian Institute for Urban and Regional Research and the University College in Lillehammer. She has also been a member of the Board of Directors for the program “Social Science Petroleum Research” (PETROSAM) at the Norwegian Research Council. Reitan also participated in the government-appointed expert committee that worked out the proposal for the Natural Diversity Act of 2009.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Do Local Government Reforms Result in Higher Levels of Trust in Local Politicians?. Local Government Studies. vol. 41 (1).
- (2014) Adaptation to Climate Change – Professional Networks and Reinforcing Institutional Environments. Environment and Planning. C, Government and Policy. vol. 33 (1).
- (2012) Klimatilpassing i vann- og avløpssektoren. Stat og styring. vol. 22 (2).
- (2011) Scalar politics and strategic consolidation: The Norwegian Gas Forum’s quest for embedding Norwegian gas resources in domestic space. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift. vol. 65 (4).
- (2008) Regional mobilisering og nasjonal koordinering i styringsnettverk : en casestudie av norsk gasspolitikk. Tidsskrift for samfunnsforskning. vol. 49 (2).
- (2008) Regional mobilisering og nasjonal koordinering i styringsnettverk: En casestudie av norsk gasspolitikk. Tidsskrift for samfunnsforskning. vol. 49 (2).
- (2007) The Urban Governance of Transport and the Environment in the City of Kristiansand. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. vol. 50 (1).
- (2005) Eksperter kan være gode nok, men ... Tidsskrift for samfunnsforskning. vol. 46 (4).
- (2004) National environmental goals in search of local institutions. Environment and Planning. C, Government and Policy. vol. 22 (5).
- (2004) Politicisation and Professional Expertise in the Policy of Nature Conservation. Local Environment : the International Journal of Justice and Sustainability. vol. 9 (5).
- (2004) National environmental goals in search of local institutions. Environment and Planning. C, Government and Policy. vol. 22.
- (2000) Kampen om miljøet - fra politikk til administrasjon?. Tidsskrift for samfunnsforskning. vol. 41 (3).
- (2000) Kampen om miljøet – fra politikk til administrasjon?. Tidsskrift for samfunnsforskning.
- (1998) Ecological Modernisation and 'Realpolitik': Ideas, Interests and Institutions. Environmental Politics. vol. 7 (2).
- (2012) Det norske flernivådemokratiet. Abstrakt forlag. 2012. ISBN 978-82-7935-321-8.
- (1995) Studiet av offentlig politikk. En innføring. Universitetsforlaget. 1995. ISBN 8251833280.
- (1994) Kunnskap og styring. Om forskningens rolle i politikk og forvaltning. 1994. ISBN 8251832578.
Part of book/report
- (2014) Miljø og kraft - en gjenvisitt. Politikk i grenseland - Festskrift til Øyvind Østerud.
- (2012) Staten, kommunene og Trillemarka: lokal mobilisering forankret i nasjonale politiske konfliktlinjer. Det norske flernivådemokratiet.
- (2012) Det norske flernivådemokratiet – sett ovenfra og nedenfra. Det norske flernivådemokratiet.