Background and activities
I am professor in interdisciplinary childhood and youth studies at the Department of Education and Lifelong Learning. I have a MA degree in social anthropology (NTNU) and a PhD in sociology (NORD university), both focusing on young people on the street in Brazil. My post doc concerned the impact of the drug trade on the everyday lives of children and youth in Brazil (NFR/NTNU).
I am the head of the research group, WorldViews, which study children’s, youths’ and families’ encounter with hegemonic, normative and taken-for-granted sets of values, worldviews and knowledge systems and seek to contribute to increased understanding and critical reflection surrounding social and cultural discourses, understandings and perceptions about childhood, youth, upbringing and family life.
I am currently teaching in courses on qualitative methods in childhood studies as well as children's rights on BA to PhD level, mostly within Mphil i Childhood Studies. I am also editor-in-chief of the Nordic journal BARN.
- Marginalised children, youth and families
- Children and youths' sense of belonging
- Children's rights
- Young citizenship
- Diverse forms of child and youth migration
- Children and youth in Latin America
Selected research projects
- Visualising youth narratives: Empower Youth, Broaden horizons, Enhance encounters (ViYouth)
- Barn som politiske aktører? En kartlegging av valgdekning i to nyhetstilbud for barn [Children as political actors? A mapping of election coverage in two news channels for children] (RAM Medietilsynet)
- Barnas Valg [Children's Election] - A study of Save the Children-Norway's Children's Election
- The impact of the crack trade, post doc (Latin American program, NFR)
- Understanding and supporting families with complex needs, led by University of Birmingham (EU-Marie Curie)
- Longitudinal study of street youth, MA and PhD project
- BARN3300 - Children and Development in the Global South
- BARN3201 - Participatory Methods and Ethics
- BARN3101 - Social Studies of Children and Childhood
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Foster children's views of family: A systematic review and qualitative synthesis. Children and Youth Services Review. vol. 132.
- (2021) Between bullying and other violences: Exploring the school experiences of immigrant and refugee children at elementary school Duque de Caixas (RJ). Inter-Ação. vol. 46 (2).
- (2021) Barndomsstudier i norsk kontekst : Tverrfaglige tilnærminger. Gyldendal Akademisk. 2021. ISBN 9788205519213.
- (2021) Promoting Intergenerational Justice Through Participatory Practices: Climate Workshops as an Arena for Young People’s Political Participation. Frontiers in Psychology. vol. 12.
- (2021) Four Decades Of Brazilian And International Research On Street Children: A Meta-Narrative Review. Journal of Comparative Social Work. vol. 16 (1).
- (2020) A children’s election—Dilemmas of children’s political participation. Children & society. vol. 00.
- (2020) Constructions of ‘the ageless’ asylum seekers: An analysis of how age is understood among professionals working within the norwegian immigration authorities. Children & society. vol. 35.
- (2020) Kvalitetsbegrepet i den rurale videregående skolen - elevperspektivet. Et mangfold av kvaliteter i videregående utdanning.
- (2020) Militarized everyday lives, logics and responses among children and youth in a violent community in urban Brazil. Childhood. vol. 27 (3).
- (2019) Migration and Mobility in Childhood (Norway). Bloomsbury Education and Childhood Studies..
- (2019) Gatebarnet som offer og helt: En kritisk gjennomgang av den metodologiske utviklingen i den tverrfaglige barne- og barndomsforskningen. Norsk sosiologisk tidsskrift. vol. 3 (1).
- (2018) Street Children And Brazil. Oxford Bibliographies in Childhood Studies.
- (2018) Volunteer tourism in Cambodian residential care facilities-A child rights-based approach. The International Journal of Children's Rights. vol. 26 (4).
- (2017) "When the sun rises, I sleep" the ambiguities of public sleep among young Brazilians on the street. Journal of Anthropological Research. vol. 73 (3).
- (2017) Young People’s Marginal Livelihoods and Social Transitions in Urban Brazil: Tale of Four Lives. Laboring and Learning..
- (2017) Recognizing the ‘big things’ and the ‘little things’ in child protection cases. Child & Family Social Work. vol. 22 (2).
- (2016) Contradictory and Intersecting Patterns of Inclusion and Exclusion of Street Youth in Salvador, Brazil. Social Inclusion. vol. 4 (4).
- (2016) Geographies of Sleep Among Brazilian Street Youth. Geographies of children and young people: Space, place and environment.
- (2014) “Crack ends it all?” A study of the interrelations between crack cocaine, social environments, social relations, crime, and homicide among poor, young men in urban Brazil. Contemporary Drug Problems. vol. 41 (2).
- (2012) ‘The City Is Ours’: The Temporal Construction of Dominance among Poor Young Men on the Street in a Brazilian Elite Neighbourhood. Journal of Latin American Studies. vol. 44.
- (2011) 'Wherever I lay my head is home' - young people's experience of home in the Brazilian street environment. Children's Geographies. vol. 9 (2).
- (2005) ‘Dia de Visita’ – besøksdag i et brasiliansk fengsel. Betwixt and Between. Sosialantropologistudentenes årbok.