Background and activities
I do research on:
- strength training for healthy individuals and those with various functional limitation
- physical activity and exercise in rehabilitation
- work and health
I am the study programme director for MSc in Physical Activity and Health (starting 2019)
I teach various topics at the Master and Bachelor programmes in Human Movement Science
I hold an adjunct position as R&D Director at Unicare Helsefort. Rehabilitation center for individuals with chronic pain, stroke, traumatic brain injury, obesity, or CFS/ME.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Is there really a “golden hour” for work disability interventions? a narrative review. Disability and Rehabilitation.
- (2019) Changes in fear-avoidance beliefs and work participation after occupational rehabilitation for musculoskeletal- and common mental disorders: secondary outcomes of two randomized clinical trials. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. vol. 51 (3).
- (2019) What should be the preferred exercise modality for overweight and obese individuals? Protocol for a systematic review and network meta-analysis. Systematic Reviews. vol. 8 (41).
- (2019) The Fear Avoidance Beliefs Questionnaire (FABQ) Does it really measure fear beliefs?. Spine.
- (2019) Electromyographic comparison of the barbell deadlift using constant versus variable resistance in healthy, trained men. PLOS ONE. vol. 14 (1).
- (2019) Trunk Muscle Activity in One- and Two-Armed American Kettlebell Swing in Resistance-Trained Men. Sports Medicine International Open. vol. 21 (3).
- (2018) Motivational interviewing in long-term sickness absence: study protocol of a randomized controlled trial followed by qualitative and economic studies. BMC Public Health. vol. 18 (756).
- (2018) Improved expectations about length of sick leave during occupational rehabilitation is associated with increased work participation. Journal of occupational rehabilitation.
- (2018) Explosive Resistance Training Using Elastic Bands in Young Female Team Handball Players. Sports Medicine International Open. vol. 2 (6).
- (2018) Muscle Activity in Upper-Body Single-Joint Resistance Exercises with Elastic Resistance Bands vs. Free Weights. Journal of Human Kinetics. vol. 61 (1).
- (2018) The acceptance and commitment therapy model in occupational rehabilitation of musculoskeletal and common mental disorders: a qualitative focus group study. Disability and Rehabilitation.
- (2018) The feasibility of occupational rehabilitation in transdiagnostic groups for participants with chronic pain, chronic fatigue and common mental disorders. Tijdschrift voor Bedrijfs- en Verzekeringsgeneeskunde. vol. 26 (7).
- (2018) Resistance training vs general physical exercise in multidisciplinary rehabilitation of chronic neck pain: a randomized controlled trial. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine. vol. 50 (8).
- (2018) Resistance band training or general exercise in multidisciplinary rehabilitation of low back pain? A randomized trial. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports. vol. 28 (9).
- (2018) Unfolding the values of work - therapists´ experience of addressing the return to work process in occupational rehabilitation based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. BMC Health Services Research. vol. 18 (1).
- (2018) Improved cardiorespiratory fitness after occupational rehabilitation in merged diagnostic groups. Annals of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. vol. 30:16.
- (2018) Design of a study evaluating the effects, health economics, and stakeholder perspectives of a multi-component occupational rehabilitation program with an added workplace intervention - A study protocol. BMC Public Health. vol. 18 (219).
- (2018) Test-retest reliability of a handheld dynamometer for measurement of isometric cervical muscle strength. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation. vol. 31 (3).
- (2017) Associations between the readiness for return to work scale and return to work: a prospective study. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. vol. 28 (1).
- (2017) Effect of inpatient multicomponent occupational rehabilitation versus less comprehensive outpatient rehabilitation on sickness absence in persons with Musculoskeletal- or Mental Health Disorders: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal of occupational rehabilitation. vol. 28 (1).