Background and activities
Martin Landrø is a Professor in Applied Geophysics at the Department of Petroleum Engineering & Applied Geophysics (IPT).
Landrø supervises has supervised more than 50 students pursuing a master's degree in geophysics. In addition he supervises a select group of PhD students — working on various geophysical themes such as lithology and fluid prediction from seismic data, pressure prediction from seismic data, time lapse seismic, gravimetric reservoir monitoring and carbonate seismics.
Professional activities and research
Professor Landrø was the coordinator for the EU-project ATLASS (Analysis of Time LapSe Seismic data) and the project lead in the first trials of 4-D seismic on the Gullfaks field (PETROMAKS 2005-2009). The qualifying and further development of this technology has led to improved recovery. Since 2009 Landrø has been the lead on a reseach project concerning improved mapping and monitoring of hydrocarbon reservoirs.
Landrø held research positions with SERES (86-89), SINTEF Petroleum (89-93) and Statoil (96-98), and was section manager at SINTEF Petroleum from 93-96.
Other activities of note include:
- Selected as a distinguished lecturer EAGE, 1997
- Recipient of the EAGE Petroleum Geoscience award for best paper, 2000.
- Member, Scientific Committee of the SEG Production and Development Forum, Taos, New Mexico, 24-29 Juni 2001.
- Awarded Best Paper in Geophysics, 2001.
- Selected Esso Distinguished Lecturer in Australia, 2003
- Recipient of the StatoilHydro Research prize, 2007
- Associate editor in Geophysics
- Recipient of the Eni Award, 2011
- TFE4130 - Electromagnetic and Acoustic Waves
- TFE4590 - Electronic Systems Design, Specialization Project
- TPG4255 - CO2 Storage: Operation and Integrity of Engineered CO2 Storage
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Far-offset detection of normal modes and diving waves: A case study from the Valhall, southern North Sea. Geophysics. vol. 87 (2).
- (2022) Analysis of a Local Earthquake in the Arctic Using a 120 KM Long Fibre-Optic Cable. EAGE Conference and Exhibition. vol. 2022 (1).
- (2022) Angle-Variant 4D Seismic Time-Shift Analysis for Velocity Change and Subsurface Strain Estimation. EAGE Conference and Exhibition. vol. 2022 (1).
- (2022) Time-Frequency Fused Underwater Acoustic Source Localization based on Contrastive Predictive Coding. IEEE Sensors Journal.
- (2021) Source level and vocalizing depth estimation of two blue whale subspecies in the western Indian Ocean from single sensor observations. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 149 (6).
- (2021) Self-supervised Underwater Source Localization based on Contrastive Predictive Coding. Proceedings of IEEE Sensors.
- (2021) Using diving waves for detecting shallow overburden gas layers. Geophysics. vol. 86 (4).
- (2021) Storage of Carbon Dioxide in saline acquifers: Physiochemical Processes, key constraints, and scale-up potential. Annual Review of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering. vol. 12.
- (2021) Next generation geophysical sensing: exploring a new wave of geophysical technologies for the energy transition. First Break. vol. 39.
- (2021) Distributed acoustic sensing for near-surface imaging using submarine telecommunication cable: A case study in the Trondheimsfjord, Norway. Geophysics. vol. 86 (5).
- (2021) Tube-wave monitoring as a method to detect shear modulus changes around boreholes: A case study. Geophysics. vol. 86 (3).
- (2021) Feature Selection Based on Principal Component Regression for Underwater Source Localization by Deep Learning. Remote Sensing. vol. 13 (8).
- (2020) Time-lapse seismic analysis of overburden water injection at the Ekofisk field, Southern North Sea. Geophysics. vol. 85 (1).
- (2020) Comparing the broadband acoustic frequency response of single, clustered and arrays of marine air guns. Geophysics. vol. 85 (3).
- (2020) The impact of bubble curtains on seismic air-gun signatures and its high-frequency emission. Geophysics. vol. 85 (2).
- (2020) Acoustic signals in air and water generated by very shallow marine seismic sources: An experimental study. Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. vol. 147 (2).
- (2019) Deep electrical imaging of the ultraslow-spreading Mohns Ridge. Nature. vol. 567.
- (2019) Characterizing the acoustic properties of the cavity cloud generated close to an air-gun array as a time-dependent effective medium. Geophysical Journal International. vol. 216 (1).
- (2019) Time lapse seismic analysis of the Tohoku-Oki 2011 earthquake. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 82.
- (2019) Gas flow through shallow sediments - A case study using passive and active seismic field data. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 87.