Background and activities
CV is also found at http://folk.ntnu.no/lundteig/CV-maryann-lundteigen-public-rev-sept2016.pdf.
Lundteigen has a master in Technical Cybernetics (1993) and a PhD in RAMS (2009) from NTNU. She is employed as full time professor from January 1 2014. In the period from 2014- 2016, she has headed the RAMS group, and she is now the co-director in the research driven Centre for innovation in subsea production and processing (SUBPRO) as the co-director (see www.ntnu.edu/subpro).
- Professor at the Department of Production and Quality Engineering
- Member of the RAMS group - Reliability, availability, maintaince, and safety
- Industry experience from oil and gas industry, including a previous postion offshore (at Ekofisk) and as a principal specialist with DNV in reliability and safety instrumented systems
- Applied reseach experience from SINTEF
- PhD in safety and reliability assessment of safety instrumented systems:
- Safety instrumented systems
- Reliability assessments
- Independence and common cause failures
- Reliability requirements in light of environmental challenges
- Safety integrity and risk acceptance
- Drilling and wellintervention systems
- Safety and equipment protection for subsea and topside oil and gas production and processing systems
- Railway signalling systems
- SIS related standards (IEC 61508, IEC 61511, OLF 070, En 50126, EN 50129, ISO 26262, IEC 62061, etc)
2014-: Professor, RAMS group at NTNU
2013 : Adjunct Professor, RAMS group at NTNU
2012-2013: Principal Specialist DNV
2010 - 2012: Professor, RAMS group at NTNU
2009 - 2010 — Post doc position, RAMS Group at NTNU.
- Ph.D. Scholarship holder, RAMS Group.
- Awarded the ExxonMobil price for best applied doctorial thesis at the Doctoral Degree Awards Ceremony at NTNU on June 3rd 2009. See here for more information
Research Scientist, SINTEF Institute ICT, Department for Applied Cybernetics. Group leader for Safety Critical Systems. Specialist areas: Safety Critical Systems, Integrated Operations/E-field, Petroleum Industry and Railway signalling systems.
1999-2001 — Automation Engineer (Automatiseringsleder);
Responsible for Automation systems at Nidar - Campaign based maintenance.
- Offshore Supervisor Electrical & Automation department, Specialised Maintenance, Phillips Petroleum Co Norway.
- Instrument engineer, Phillips Petroleum Co Norway; Offshore support and optimisation projects of offshore installations.
- Trainee, Phillips Petroleum Co Norway.
- Publications listed in the Christin database
- IEC 61511 maintenance team
- ROSS Gemini centre (center chair 2017->)
- Editorial member ESRA newsletters
- The Association for Electrotechnics and Automation in Industry (IFEA). Member of the professional committee for safety instrumented systems .
- Member of the editorial board for the magazine "Inside Functional Safety"
- Board member of Green Petroleum Cluster (GPC) in Trondheim
List of PhD students
- Hui Jin (2013): A contribution to reliability assessment of safety-instrumented systems (co-supervisor)
- Inger Lise Johansen (2014): Risk assessment in risk-informed decision-making: Foundations, challenges, and approaches (co-supervisor)
- Maryam Rahimi (2013): A contribution to reliability qualification of new technical equipment – with focus on subsea production equipment (co-supervisor)
Incorporating reliability and availability in the design of subsea system
The main objective in this PhD project is to develop a suitable new framework for: (1) formulating RAMS requirements in an early design phase, covering the system to component level, and (2) for RAMS verification, including a RAMS evaluation model, which is tailor-made for evaluating and selecting the most optimal system design alternative under uncertainty. The main focus of this PhD project is to incorporate reliability and availability in the early design phase of subsea systems, where systems may be for subsea processing purposes or for detecting and mitigating the effects of hazardous events. Availability incorporates effects of maintenance and operation strategy, and safety may relate to measures for reliability as well as availability in cases where the system functions are safety-critical. So, the term ‘RAMS’ is sometimes replaced by reliability and availability, without losing the aspects of maintenance and safety.
Geir Ove Strand
Risk Control in the Drilling Phase of
The main objective of the thesis is to develop a systematic approach for risk assessment of offshore wells in the drilling phase. The approach, denoted DPRA in thesis, could be used as an aid to risk informed decision-making in relation to offshore well drilling (and intervention) operations. The focus of DPRA is on procedures and methods for the quantification of probabilities or frequencies associated with well releases and blowouts.
HyungJu Kim (postdoc)
Develop a new control and safety philosophy for operation of subsea systems
The main objective in this project is to develop a new control and safety philosophy for subsea systems. The new philosophy aims to overcome some of the challenges of implementing such systems with basis in standards developed for topside conditions, and to ensure that the subsea safety risks and subsea operating environment are fully captured
Master students supervised
- Xie, Lin (2017): Modifid Failure Rates for Safety Instrumented Systems baesd on Operational Experience from the Oil and Gas Sector
- Huse, Kristine (2017): Bruk av risikoakseptkriterier for sammenligning av traséløsninger (jernbane).
- Halvorsrud, Gunhild (2017): The Development of Risk Acceptance Criteria for Railways in Norway (Master in Continuing education program)
- koo, kwiyeon (2017): Common Cause Failure Analysis - Improved Approach for Determining the Beta Value in the PDS Method
- Kalvakunta, Raja Gopal (2017): Reliability Modelling of ERTMS/ETCS (co-supervision)
- Arismendi Torres, Renny Jose (2017): Hybrid Modelling for Dynamic Reliability Assessments in Subsea Oil and Gas Processing Systems
- Sun,Tianqi (2017: Production Availability Analysis:
Implications on Modelling due to SubseaConditions
- Ole-Henrik Dag Olsen (2016): Implementing IEC 61508 for Qualification of Safety-Instrumented Systems for Submergible Tube Bridges
- Lars Hauff (2016): Optimization of Design, Safety and Cost of Pressure Protection Systems
- Mohammad Amin Ghanooni (2015): Spurious activations of safety-instrumented systems
- Godziuk, Anna Magdalena (2015): A proposal for a RAMS engineering process for blowout preventers
- Mari Krogness Fornes (2015): Risk assessment of strait crossing bridges
- Caroline Dutard (2015): Management of SIL performance of safety-instrumented systems
- Zeba Gul (2015): Application software development for safety instrumented systems
- Ingrid Zafira Harvinia (2015): Risk Assessment and SIL Allocation of Safety Instrumented Functions for Open Water Workover System
- Eleojo Samuel Ocheni (2015): Impact of partial and imperfect testing on reliability assessment of safety instrumented systems - Possible approaches for inclusion of its effects in reliability assessments
- Yining Dong (2015): Methodology for Identification of Dangerous Combinations of Output States of SIS (co-supervisor)
- Can Li (2015): Safety Instrumented Systems on Older Facilities
- Mbah Rowland (2014): Using reliability growth testing to reveal systematic faults in safety-instrumented systems (co-supervisor)
- Åsa Snilstveit Hoem (2014): Use of field experience to improve the treatment of CCFs in reliability assessment of safety instrumented systems
- Jon Mikkel Haugen (2014) Reliability Allocation and Assessment of Safety-Instrumented Systems (co-supervisor)
- Martin Brataas (2014): Management of the integrity of safety instrumented systems
- Wilmer Alberto Aguilar Marinez (2014): Methods for determining PFD/SIL for workover control systems with short test-intervals and imperfect testing
- Tormod Danielsen Udnæs (2012): Reliability and Availability Assessment of Topologies for Subsea Control Systems
- Remi Pinker (2012): Improved methods for reliability assessments of safety critical systems: An application example for BOP systems
- Sondre Klakegg (2012): Improved methods for reliability assessments of safety-critical systems: An application example for BOP systems
- Ishita Dash (2012): Provision of Reliability Data for New Technology Equipment in Subsea Production Systems
- Henrik Finnema Moen (2012): Reliability Assessment of Safety Instrumented Systems: An Application Example For A Ballasting System
- Kristian Amundsen (2012): A method for combining well safety risk and businessimpact risk
- Ingunn Kristensen (2011):Balancing production availability and safety in subsea production systems
- Yangjiao Liao ( 2011): SIL Follow-Up in the Operational Phase of Safety Instrumented System
- Cuixin Shi (2011): Validation of non-compliant products for use with safety instrumented systems
- Astrid Folkvord Janbu (2009): Treatment of Uncertainties in Reliability Assessment of Safety Instrumented Systems (co-supervisor)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Analytical formulas of PFD and PFH calculation for systems with nonconstant failure rate. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 231 (4).
- (2017) On the role of HMI in human reliability analysis of offshore drilling operations. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 49.
- (2016) Common cause failures in safety-instrumented systems: Using field experience from the petroleum industry. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 151.
- (2016) PFDavg generalized formulas for SIS subject to partial and full periodic tests based on multi-phase Markov models. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 150.
- (2016) Spurious activation analysis of safety-instrumented systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 156.
- (2016) Two-terminal reliability analysis for multi-phase communication networks. Eksploatacja i Niezawodnosc. vol. 18 (3).
- (2016) Flexible truncation method for the reliability assessment of phased mission systems with repairable components. Eksploatacja i Niezawodnosc. vol. 18 (2).
- (2016) Human factors modelling in offshore drilling operations. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 43.
- (2016) A DBN-based risk assessment model for prediction and diagnosis of offshore drilling incidents. Journal of Natural Gas Science and Engineering. vol. 34.
- (2015) Reliability Importance of the Channels in Safety Instrumented Systems. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering. vol. 349.
- (2015) Reliability analysis of large phased-mission systems with repairable components based on the success-state sampling. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 142.
- (2013) Safety barrier analysis of MPD compares primary well control functions with conventional drilling. Drilling Contractor.
- (2013) New PFH-formulas for k-out-of-n:F-systems. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 111.
- (2013) New reliability measure for safety instrumented systems. International Journal of Reliability, Quality and Safety Engineering (IJRQSE). vol. 20 (1).
- (2012) Uncertainty assessment of reliability estimates for safety-instrumented systems. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. Part O, Journal of risk and reliability. vol. 226 (6).
- (2011) Har vi nok kunnskap for å unngå katastrofene?. Teknisk Ukeblad.
- (2011) Reliability performance of safety instrumented systems: A common approach for both low- and high-demand mode of operation. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 96 (3).
- (2010) Management of safety integrity in the operational phase. Inside Functional Safety. vol. 1.
- (2010) Reliability of Safety Instrumented Systems: Where to direct future research?. Process safety progress. vol. 29 (4).
- (2009) Reliability of safety instrumented systems in the process industry: A perspective on the research challenges. ESRA Newsletter. vol. December.
- (2009) Architectural constraints in IEC 61508: Do they have the intended effect?. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 94 (2).
- (2009) Reliability assessment of safety instrumented systems in the oil and gas industry: A practical approach and a case study. International Journal of Reliability, Quality and Safety Engineering (IJRQSE). vol. 16 (2).
- (2009) Integrating RAMS engineering and management with the safety life cycle of IEC 61508. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 94 (12).
- (2008) Partial stroke testing of process shutdown valves: How to determine the test coverage. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 21 (6).
- (2008) Spurious activation of safety instrumented systems in the oil and gas industry: Basic concepts and formulas. Reliability Engineering & System Safety. vol. 93 (8).
- (2007) Common cause failures in safety instrumented systems on oil and gas installations: Implementing defenses through function testing. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 20.
- (2007) Safety qualification of a software development environment. International Journal of Performability Engineering. vol. 3 (1).
Part of book/report
- (2017) A new design concept of Blowout Preventer for decision support. Safety & Reliability, Theory and Applications.
- (2017) Reliability assessment for subsea HIPPS valves with partial stroke testing. Risk, Reliability and Safety: Innovating Theory and Practice : Proceedings of ESREL 2016 (Glasgow, Scotland, 25-29 September 2016).
- (2017) Framing reliability specification in early design phase of subsea systems. Proceedings of the 23rd ISSAT International Conference on Reliability and Quality in Design 2017.
- (2017) Using Bayesian Networks to quantify the reliability of a subsea system in the early design. Risk, Reliability and Safety: Innovating Theory and Practice : Proceedings of ESREL 2016 (Glasgow, Scotland, 25-29 September 2016).
- (2016) A dynamic grouping model for the maintenance planning of complex structure systems with consideration of maintenance durations. Applied Mathematics in Engineering and Reliability Proceedings of the 1st International Conference on Applied Mathematics in Engineering and Reliability (Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, 4-6 May 2016).
- (2015) Using field experience in the treatment of Common Cause Failures in reliability assessment. Safety and Reliability : Methodology and Applications: Proceedings of the European safety and reliability Conference, ESREL 2014, Poland, 14-18 september 2014.
- (2015) PFDavg and PFH formulas for SIS subject to partial and full periodic tests. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2015) A new availability allocation method. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2015) Analytical formulas of PFD calculation for systems with non-constant failure rates. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2015) Risk control in the well drilling phase: BOP system reliability assessment. Safety and Reliability of Complex Engineered Systems.
- (2012) Reliability performance of technical systems: A case study in relation to drilling operations. 11th International Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management Conference and the Annual European Safety and Reliability Conference 2012, 25-29 June 2012, Helsinki, Finland.
- (2012) Common cause failures in safety instrumented systems: Concepts and analytical approaches. 11th International Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management Conference and the Annual European Safety and Reliability Conference 2012, 25-29 June 2012, Helsinki, Finland.
- (2012) Uncertainty assessment of reliability estimates for safety instrumented systems. Advances in Safety, Reliability and Risk Management - proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference, ESREL 2011.
- (2012) Reliability assessment of safety-instrumented systems: The influence of demand rates and demand durations. 11th International Probabilistic Safety Assessment and Management Conference and the Annual European Safety and Reliability Conference 2012, 25-29 June 2012, Helsinki, Finland.
- (2012) Management of factors that influence common cause failures of safety instrumented system in the operational phase. Advances in Safety, Reliability and Risk Management - proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference, ESREL 2011.
- (2009) A new approach for follow-up of safety instrumented systems in the oil and gas industry. Safety, Reliability and Risk Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications.
- (2009) Updating failure rates and test intervals in the operational phase: A practical implementation of IEC 61511 and IEC 61508. Reliability, Risk and Safety – Theory and Applications, (contains papers presented at the 18th European Safety and Reliability Conference (Esrel 2009) in Prague, Czech Republic, September 2009.).
- (2008) Sikrere fjerndrift med CRIOP. Robust arbeidspraksis - Hvorfor skjer det ikke flere ulykker på sokkelen.
- (2007) Assessment of hardware safety integrity requirements. Reliability of Safety-Critical Systems: Proceedings of the 30th ESReDA Seminar Hosted by SINTEF, Trondheim, Norway June 7-8, 2006.
- (2007) The effect of partial stroke testing on the reliability of safety valves. Risk, Reliability and Societal Risk, Volume 3: Application Topics.
- (2005) Identification and reduction of risks in remote operations of offshore oil and gas installations. Advances in safety and reliability; proceedings of the European Safety and Reliability Conference, (ESREL 2005), Tri City (Gdynia, Sopot, Gdansk), Poland, 27-30 June, 2005.
- (2015) Common Cause Failures in Safety Instrumented Systems: beta factors and equipment specific checklists based on operational experience. 2015.
- (2012) Barriers to prevent and limit acute releases to sea. Environmental barrier indicators. 2012. ISBN 9788214053968. SINTEF Rapport (A22763).
- (2011) Deepwater Horizon-ulykken: Årsaker, lærepunkter og forbedringstiltak for norsk sokkel. 2011.
- (2010) Reliability Prediction Method for Safety Instrumented Systems – PDS Example collection, 2010 Edition. 2010.
- (2010) Reliability Prediction Method for Safety Instrumented Systems: PDS method handbook 2010 edition. 2010. ISBN 978-82-14-04850-6.
- (2010) HIPPS systems at Ormen Lange – Assessment of test intervals. 2010.
- (2009) Review of safety critical failures for Ormen Lange - October 2007 - October 2008. 2009.
- (2009) Updated reliability calculations for the NSB-94 system. 2009.
- (2009) Use of the PDS Method for Railway Applications. 2009.
- (2009) Safety instrumented systems inthe oil and gas industry:: Concepts and methods for safety and reliability assessments in design and operation. Tapir Akademisk Forlag. 2009. ISBN 978-82-471-1385-1.
- (2008) Guidelines for follow-up of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) in the operation phase. 2008.
- (2007) Styring og oppfølging av integriteten til SIS: Implementering av IEC 61508 og IEC 61511 i norsk petroleumsindustri - en kartlegging av status. 2007.
- (2006) STF50 A0611 Uavhengighet av sikkerhetssystemer offshore – status og utfordringer. 2006.
- (2006) Uavhengighet av sikkerhetssystemer offshore - status og utfordringer. 2006. ISBN 8214038847. SINTEF Rapport (A01006011).