Background and activities
Founding Director of Centre for Neural Computation and Co-Director of the Kavlil Institute for Systems Neuroscience. PhD in neurophysiology, University of Oslo 1995.
May-Britt Moser is interested in the neural basis of spatial location and spatial specifically and cognition more generally. Her work, conducted with Edvard Moser as a long-term collaborator, includes the discovery of grid cells in the entorhinal cortex, as well as several additional space-representing cell types in the same circuit.
Her group is beginning to unravel the functional organization of the grid-cell circuit as well as its contribution to memory formation in the hippocampus.
May-Britt Moser was a co-Founder of the Centre for the Biology of Memory, a Research Council-funded Centre of Excellence from 2003 to 2012, and has taken on the Directorship of the Centre for Neural Computation, with a life time from 2013 to 2022.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Path integration in place cells of developing rats. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- (2018) "Integrating time from experience in lateral entorhinal cortex". Nature.
- (2018) Integration of grid maps in merged environments. Nature Neuroscience.
- (2018) Entorhinal fast-spiking speed cells project to the hippocampus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America.
- (2017) Stellate cells drive maturation of the entorhinal-hippocampal circuit. Science. vol. 355 (6330).
- (2017) Parvalbumin and Somatostatin Interneurons Control Different Space-Coding Networks in the Medial Entorhinal Cortex. Cell. vol. 171 (3).
- (2017) Spatial Representation in the Hippocampal Formation: A History. Nature Neuroscience. vol. 20 (11).
- (2016) Ten Years of Grid Cells. Annual Review of Neuroscience. vol. 39.
- (2015) Coherence among Head Direction Cells before Eye Opening in Rat Pups. Current Biology. vol. 25 (1).
- (2015) A prefrontal-thalamo-hippocampal circuit for goal-directed spatial navigation. Nature. vol. 522 (7554).
- (2015) Speed cells in the medial entorhinal cortex. Nature. vol. 523 (7561).
- (2015) Topography of Place Maps along the CA3-to-CA2 Axis of the Hippocampus. Neuron. vol. 87 (5).
- (2015) Hippocampal Remapping after Partial Inactivation of the Medial Entorhinal Cortex. Neuron. vol. 88 (3).
- (2015) Where Am I? Where Am i Going?. Scientific American. vol. 314 (1).
- (2015) Place cells, grid cells, and memory. Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Biology. vol. 7 (2).
- (2015) Shearing-induced asymmetry in entorhinal grid cells. Nature. vol. 518 (7538).
- (2014) Place cells in the hippocampus: Eleven maps for eleven rooms. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 111 (52).
- (2014) Representation of geometric borders in the developing rat. Neuron. vol. 82 (1).
- (2014) Topography of head direction cells in medial entorhinal cortex. Current Biology. vol. 24 (3).
- (2014) Functional diversity along the transverse axis of hippocampal area CA1. FEBS Letters. vol. 588 (15).