Background and activities
Professional Experience: 1984: Technical Advisor, Aalborg Cement Factory, Denmark; 1985-87: Project Engineer, COWIconsult, Denmark; 1987-1989: Consultant for Golden Bay Cement Co. Ltd., New Zealand; 1989-1991: Chemical Engineer/Project Manager, G.M. Idorn Consult A/S, Denmark; 1991-1999: Senior Engineer COWI, Denmark,1999-2012: Associate Professor, Technical University of Denmark (DTU); 2010-: Professor, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU).
Scientific focus area: structure–property relationships, porosity characterisation, cementitious materials, fresh concrete properties, property development, solid/pore-liquid interaction, durability, reinforcement corrosion, sustainability.
Supervision of students
- PhD theses supervisor: 26 in total. Main supervisor for 12, co-supervisor for 14. Current: Main supervisor for 2. Co-supervisor for 7 (3 at NTNU, 3 at DTU, 1 at Århus Univ.)
- Post Docs supervisor: 2, 1 ongoing at NTNU
- TRANSCEND, Marie Curie Initial Training Network, European Union Seventh Framework Programme (FP7/2007-2013) grant agreement 264448 (Training Manager - courses)
- NANOCEM, Marie Curie Research Training Network (Training Manager)
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Macrocell corrosion in carbonated Portland and Portland-fly ash concrete - Contribution and mechanism. Cement and Concrete Research. vol. 116.
- (2019) Sulfate resistance of calcined clay – Limestone – Portland cements. Cement and Concrete Research.
- (2019) Impact of production parameters on physiochemical characteristics of wood ash for possible utilisation in cement-based materials. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. vol. 145.
- (2019) A numerical investigation of the cracking behaviour of reinforced-concrete tie elements. Magazine of Concrete Research.
- (2018) Impact of Accelerated Carbonation on Microstructure and Phase Assemblage. Nordic Concrete Research. vol. 59 (2).
- (2018) Electrical resistivity measurements in steel fibre reinforced cementitious materials. Cement & Concrete Composites. vol. 89.
- (2018) The effect of calcium lignosulfonate on ettringite formation in cement paste. Cement and Concrete Research. vol. 107.
- (2018) Long-term Influence of Concrete Surface and Crack Orientation on Self-healing and Ingress in Cracks – Field Observations. Nordic Concrete Research. vol. 58 (1/2018).
- (2018) Chloride-binding capacity of hydrotalcite in cement pastes containing dolomite and metakaolin. Cement and Concrete Research. vol. 107.
- (2018) Limitations of the hydrotalcite formation in Portland composite cement pastes containing dolomite and metakaolin. Cement and Concrete Research. vol. 105.
- (2018) Stability of the hydrate phase assemblage in Portland composite cements containing dolomite and metakaolin after leaching, carbonation, and chloride exposure. Cement & Concrete Composites. vol. 89.
- (2018) Determining the free alkali metal content in concrete – Case study of an ASR-affected dam. Cement and Concrete Research. vol. 105.
- (2018) Carbonation-induced corrosion: Investigation of the corrosion onset. Construction and Building Materials. vol. 162.
- (2018) Experimental and theoretical investigation of crack width calculation methods for RC ties. Structural Concrete. vol. 19 (5).
- (2018) Impact of sample crushing on porosity characterization of hardened cement pastes by low temperature calorimetry: Comparison of powder and cylinder samples. Thermochimica Acta. vol. 665.
- (2017) The steel?concrete interface. Materials and Structures. vol. 50 (2).
- (2017) On the effect of calcium lignosulfonate on the rheology and setting time of cement paste. Cement and Concrete Research. vol. 100.
- (2017) On the mechanisms of consumption of calcium lignosulfonate by cement paste. Cement and Concrete Research. vol. 98.
- (2017) Screening of Low Clinker Binders, Compressive Strength and Chloride Ingress. Nordic Concrete Research. vol. 57.
- (2017) Multi-scale and multi-physics deterioration modelling for design and assessment of reinforced concrete structures. RILEM Technical Letters. vol. 2.