Background and activities
Dr Michael J. Geary is Associate Professor of Modern History and Head of the History Teacher Education Programme in the Department of Historical Studies at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. Concurrently, he is also a Global Fellow with the Global Europe Program at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars in Washington, D.C., one of the world’s leading non-partisan think tanks.
Inter alia, he has held a number of distinguished fellowships including: Global Europe Fellow at the Wilson Center, Fulbright-Schuman Professor at the Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C., European Parliament-Geremek Research Fellow at the College of Europe in Warsaw, Poland, and Visiting Research Fellow, Institute for European Global Studies, University of Basel, Switzerland. Prior to joining the faculty at NTNU, Geary was Director of Studies of the MA in European Studies at Maastricht University in the Netherlands where he was a tenured Assistant Professor in modern European history.
A native of Cork in Ireland, Dr Geary is the author of two books and numerous articles on contemporary Europe, Irish history, Britains's European policy, the European Union, EU enlargement and European-United States relations.
- Twentieth Century Europe
- Transatlantic Relations
- The Process of European Integration
- History and Politics of the European Union
- Contemporary British History
- Contemporary Irish History
- The Cold War
His current research projects include:
- A history of Ireland's foreign policy and European Political Cooperation during the 1970s and 1980s.
- A history of the European Commission's DG for External Relations/Enlargement Policy from the 1960s to the 1990s (in cooperation with Università degli Studi di Padova).
Dr Geary supervises theses at all levels in contemporary history and European studies and welcomes inquiries from prospective students.
Ph.D supervision (main supervisor): Elisabeth Skaar - The Great Balancing Act: Britain, South Africa and the Namibia Question, 1974-90
A frequent media contributor on both sides of the Atlantic, who links his research with contemporary events, his opinion pieces have appeared in The National Interest, Euractiv, The Hill’s Congress Blog, EUObserver and Geary is often quoted in (amongst other publications) the Guardian, Washington Post, New York Times, Associated Press, BBC News, CNN, Fox News, France24 and Reuters.
Bachelor in Arts (Double Honours) in English and History (minor in Biology), National University of Ireland, Maynooth.
Master in Letters (MLitt Research in History), National University of Ireland, Maynooth.
Master in Research (History), European University Institute, Florence, Italy.
Ph.D. in History & Civilisation, European University Institute, Florence, Italy.
University Teaching Qualification (UTQ); Basiskwalificatie Onderwijs (BKO, in Dutch), Maastricht University, The Netherlands.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Brexit talks edge closer to crashing as latest deal hits fierce opposition. The Hill.
- (2018) Centrist inaction on both sides of Atlantic will lead to populist norm. The Hill's Congress Blog.
- (2018) Final stage of May's torturous Brexit journey lies ahead. The Hill's Congress Blog.
- (2018) Internationalizing the Lektor Programme: Mission Impossible?. Ugleposten.
- (2018) Macron's labor pains: French unions putting his reforms to the test. The Hill's Congress Blog.
- (2018) Revolutionary France challenges Macron on climate change policy. The Hill's Congress Blog.
- (2018) Theresa May survives leadership vote but Brexit mayhem remains. The Hill's Congress Blog.
- (2017) Review of: Building Europe: A history of European unification. H-Diplo Roundtable Review. vol. XVIII (31).
- (2016) Brexit and the Long, Slow EU-UK Divorce. The National Interest.
- (2016) Enlargement, differentiation, and inter-institutional dynamics in the history of the European Union. CERiM Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence.
- (2015) Eirini Karamouzi. Greece, the EEC and the Cold War, 1974-1979: The Second Enlargement. H-Diplo Roundtable Review. vol. XVII (7).
- (2015) Enlarging the European Union: The Commission Seeking Influence, 1961-1973 (author's response). H-Diplo Roundtable Review. vol. XVI (17).
- (2015) Giandomenico Majone. Rethinking the Union of Europe Post-crisis: Has Integration Gone Too Far? (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2014). EUSA Review of Books.
- (2014) After Independence Day: The Challenges Ahead for an Independent Scotland. EurActiv.
- (2014) Devolution Revolution: London, Edinburgh and the Future of the United Kingdom. Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Diplomatist.
- (2014) The Common Fisheries Policy and Ireland’s EEC Enlargement Negotiations, 1970-1972: Challenging the Acquis. Journal of European Integration History. vol. 20 (2).
- (2014) The European Elections and the EU-US Trade Pact: Is TTIP in Trouble?. Washington International Trade Association.
- (2014) Madrid, Barcelona and the war of Spanish secession. EUobserver.
- (2013) Obama’s inspired choice for US Trade Representative. The Hill's Congress Blog.
- (2013) The Maastricht Treaty: Negotiations and Consequences in Historical Perspective. Journal of European Integration History. vol. 19 (1).
- (2013) Cameron’s speech: Still protesting Britain’s European innocence. EurActiv.
- (2013) NSA scandal will follow Obama to Europe. The National Interest.
- (2013) Separation or Divorce for the UK and the EU?. E-Sharp.
- (2013) The growing EU-UK gulf. The National Interest.
- (2012) European Union Economic Policy: The Role of the EU in External Economic Relations. Journal of Contemporary European Studies. vol. 20 (4).
- (2012) Review of: An Inside View of the CAP Reform Process: Explaining the MacSharry, Agenda 2000 and Fischler Reforms. Journal of Common Market Studies. vol. 50 (4).
- (2012) The EU’s Nobel Peace Prize: Better late than never. EurActiv.
- (2012) The process of European integration from The Hague to Maastricht: An irreversible advance?. Debater a Europa. vol. 6.
- (2011) For Better or Worse: The Highs and Lows of Ireland’s Membership of the European Union Since 1973. Chamber of Commerce Yearbook.
- (2011) Britain and the European Union – continuity or rupture?. EUobserver.
- (2008) From Idea to Institution: The European Commission Turns Fifty. EUI Review.
- (2013) Enlarging the European Union: The Commission seeking influence, 1961-1973. Palgrave Macmillan. 2013. ISBN 978-1-137-31557-1.
- (2010) An Inconvenient Wait: Ireland’s Quest for Membership of the EEC, 1957-73. 2010. ISBN 978-1-904541-83-7.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Irish Foreign Policy and European Political Cooperation from membership to Maastricht: Navigating Neutrality. European Enlargement across Rounds and Beyond Borders.
- (2014) Information Processes and International Organisations, 1910-1940. The politics of information : the case of the European Union.
- (2009) A Public Courtship: The European Commission’s relations with the US government, 1958-63. Reform and Renewal: Transatlantic Relations during the 1960s and 1970s.
- (2018) German teen's murder sparks national discussion of migrant crime. FOX News [Internett]. 2018-02-13.
- (2018) Over 700 arrested in Paris amid violent fuel protests. Shanaplan Debate [Internett]. 2018-12-13.
- (2018) Paris might have championed the climate agreement, but the ‘yellow vest’ unrest is growing. NPR - National Public Radio (USA) [Radio]. 2018-12-06.
- (2018) Poland defies EU as law forcing judges to retire comes into force. France24 [Internett]. 2018-07-09.
- (2018) Problem Of Refugees In EU Requires Coordinated Approach Of All European States – Analysis. Eurasia Review [Internett]. 2018-08-21.
- (2018) The Italian elections and the rise of populism in Europe. KCBS Radio [Radio]. 2018-03-05.
- (2018) The N. Ireland Backstop Is Still A Sticking Point In May's Brexit Deal. The Denver 7 / ABC News [Internett]. 2018-11-16.
- (2018) Trump takes aim at Paris protests to comment on climate change agreement. New York Post [Avis]. 2018-12-08.
- (2018) Western Sanctions Against Russia Cannot Replace Real Diplomacy. Eurasia Review [Internett]. 2018-09-21.
- (2017) May Hangs on After Tortuous UK Election. The Wilson Center [Internett]. 2017-06-09.
- (2017) Prime Minister Theresa May vows to stay after Conservatives lose majority. KTCB News [Internett]. 2017-06-09.
- (2017) Prime Minister Theresa May vows to stay after Conservatives lose majority. USA Today [Avis]. 2017-07-09.
- (2017) Theresa May’s Political Future In Danger After Stunning Election Defeat. Huffington Post [Internett]. 2017-07-09.
- (2017) UK elections: May holding on to lead as British voters weigh terror, Brexit and immigration. FOX News [Internett]. 2017-06-08.
- (2017) Vojna slov o brexit už zúri (The War of Words about Brexit). Spravy Pravda [Avis]. 2017-05-05.
- (2016) After Brexit: A New World Order?. The Wilson Center [Radio]. 2016-06-27.
- (2016) Brexit Vote Looms: What Will it Mean for the EU and the U.S.?. The Wilson Center [Internett]. 2016-06-21.
- (2016) Britain votes to leave the European Union. C-SPAN TV [TV]. 2016-06-24.
- (2016) Europe's Trump moment: Countries see rise of populist leaders amid anger over economy, migrant crisis. FOX News [Internett]. 2016-11-30.
- (2016) Renzi's Italy referendum loss heightens tensions in euro zone politics. CNBC [TV]. 2016-12-04.
- (2016) The Brexit Referendum. CNN International [TV]. 2016-06-23.
- (2016) The hidden fallout of Brexit. Marketplace [Internett]. 2016-06-24.
- (2016) Trump’s policies may not be all that foreign. Are his ideas really all that nutty? Maybe, maybe not. McClatchy Washington Bureau [Internett]. 2016-04-10.
- (2016) UK Votes on EU Brexit: What Happens Next?. Pacific Council International [Internett]. 2016-06-23.
- (2016) Where Does the UK Go From Here?. The Wilson Center [TV]. 2016-06-24.
- (2015) Britain's stunning election result. CNN Opinion [Internett]. 2015-05-08.
- (2015) The British General Election – Domestic and Foreign Policy Challenges for the Next Government. The Wilson Center [Internett]. 2015-05-12.
- (2015) UK Elections 2015: David Cameron’s Big Win. The Wilson Center [TV]. 2015-05-15.
- (2014) La Maison Blanche loupe son passage en douce. Libération [Avis]. 2014-05-18.
- (2014) Luxembourg Tax Evasion Scandal Embarrassing to New EC President. Russia Today [Internett]. 2014-11-07.
- (2014) MORGAN STANLEY: Russia Could Cut Off Gas To Europe. International Business Times [Internett]. 2014-07-31.
- (2014) Merger of the Century: Why Canada and America Should Become One Country. The Wilson Center [Internett]. 2014-03-19.
- (2014) Obama and Allies Seek Firm, United Response as Russia Grips Crimea. The New York Times [Avis]. 2014-03-23.
- (2014) Putin On Crimea Incursion: I Have No Intention Of Invading Other Regions Of Ukraine. The Huffington Post [Internett]. 2014-03-24.
- (2014) Rapprochement with EU in Ukraine's best interests, politics left for talks. Russia Today [Internett]. 2014-06-27.
- (2014) Russia dominates, but Obama trip broadens outreach. The Associated Press [Internett]. 2014-03-24.
- (2014) Scottish Independence Vote. Kojo Nnamdi Radio Show [Radio]. 2014-06-30.
- (2014) Scottish independence may have lost, but Britain may be changed forever. Public Radio International [Radio]. 2014-09-19.
- (2014) The End of the Union? London, Edinburgh, and the Battle for Scottish Independence. The Wilson Center [TV]. 2014-04-01.
- (2014) The Far Right Parties in Europe Aren't Exactly Getting Along. VICE News [Internett]. 2014-06-25.
- (2014) The Pros and Cons of Scottish Independence. Mashable [Internett]. 2014-09-09.
- (2014) The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership: A Regulatory Framework for the 21st Century. The Wilson Center [Internett]. 2014-03-26.
- (2014) U.S. Commitment and Obama’s Stature on the Line This Week in Overseas Trip. The National Journal [Internett]. 2014-03-23.
- (2014) US thinktank ponders: how about annexing Canada, eh?. The Guardian [Avis]. 2014-03-19.
- (2013) A painful birth: Economic and Monetary Union and the Origins of the European Sovereign Debt Crisis. Wilson Lecture . The Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars; Washington, D.C.. 2013-04-11 - 2013-04-11.
- (2013) Anti-EU parties plan strategy to woo Europe's voters. BBC News [Internett]. 2013-11-13.
- (2013) Enlarging the European Union - Book Launch. The Wilson Center [TV]. 2013-09-18.
- (2013) First Agreement Between Serbia and Kosovo of Principles Governing Normalization of Relations. The Wilson Center [Internett]. 2013-04-24.
- (2013) G8 Meeting in Northern Ireland - media briefing. The Wilson Center [Internett]. 2013-06-13.
- (2013) Secretary Kerry's First International Trip (media briefing). The Wilson Center [Internett]. 2013-02-22.
- (2013) The Trans-Pacific Partnership: New Rules for a New Era. The Wilson Center [TV]. 2013-06-19.
- (2012) Future of the EU. CQ Researcher (Sage Publications) [Fagblad]. 2012-04-17.
- International politics
- Modern history (after 1800)
- Political history
- Comparative politics
- Contemporary history (after 1945)
- European Politics
- Transatlantic relations
- European integration
- History of the European Union
- Irish history
- British History
- Irish Studies
- Contemporary European History
- European Studies
- European Commission