Background and activities
I am Associate Professor of Biosystematics and Curator of Vacular Plants at the NTNU University Museum.
I use a phylogenetic approach to studying a range of biological aspects in various groups of flowering plants (e.g. the Lamiaceae) and lav, from population to family level. I frequently include archived collections in my research and use recently developed statistical tools for data analysis.
MSc project in biosystematics / conservation genetics? We offer MSc projects on both vascular plants and lichens. See this page for short description of ongoing projects.
Photos by Einar Timdal, Heidi Solstad and Mika Bendiksby
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) A regional study of the genus Phyllopsora (Ramalinaceae) in Asia and Melanesia. MycoKeys. vol. 53.
- (2019) DNA Sequencing Historical Lichen Specimens. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution.
- (2018) Draft genome sequence and annotation of the lichen-forming fungus Arthonia radiata. Microbiology Resource Announcements. vol. 6 (14).
- (2018) Xylopsora canopeorum (Umbilicariaceae), a new lichen species from the canopy of Sequoia sempervirens. MycoKeys. vol. 30.
- (2018) Molecular systematics and character evolution in the lichen family Ramalinaceae (Ascomycota: Lecanorales). Taxon. vol. 67 (5).
- (2018) Contrasting spatial, temporal and environmental patterns in observation and specimen based species occurrence data. PLoS ONE. vol. 13 (4).
- (2018) Considerations and consequences of allowing DNA sequence data as types of fungal taxa. IMA Fungus. vol. 9 (1).
- (2017) Geographically disjunct phylogenetic lineages in Leptogium hibernicum reveal Leptogium krogiae sp. nov. from East Africa. The Lichenologist. vol. 49 (3).
- (2017) Speciation in the genera Anthericum and Chlorophytum (Asparagaceae) in Ethiopia — a molecular phylogenetic approach. Phytotaxa. vol. 297 (2).
- (2017) The next generation fungal diversity researcher. Fungal Biology Reviews. vol. 31 (3).
- (2017) Finding Evolutionary Processes Hidden in Cryptic Species. Trends in Ecology & Evolution. vol. 33 (3).
- (2017) Psora taurensis (Psoraceae, Lecanorales), a new lichen species from Turkey. MycoKeys. vol. 21.
- (2016) Interesting lichenized and lichenicolous fungi found during the Nordic Lichen Society excursion in Nord-Trøndelag, Norway 2015. Graphis Scripta. vol. 28 (1-2).
- (2016) Rhizocarpon quinonum, a new anthraquinone-containing species from the Alaska Peninsula. The Lichenologist. vol. 48 (5).
- (2016) Psora altotibetica (Psoraceae, Lecanorales), a new lichen species from the Tibetan part of the Himalayas. MycoKeys. vol. 13.
- (2015) Molecular phylogenetics and taxonomy of the Calvitimela aglaea complex (Tephromelataceae, Lecanorales). Mycologia. vol. 107 (6).
- (2015) Molecular phylogeny confirms the placement of enigmatic Stachys persepolitana in Lamium (Lamiaceae; subfam. Lamioideae). Phytotaxa. vol. 192 (4).
- (2015) New records of lichenized and lichenicolous fungi in Scandinavia. MycoKeys. vol. 11.
- (2014) Combining genetic analyses of archived specimens with distribution modelling to explain the anomalous distribution of the rare lichen Staurolemma omphalarioides: Long-distance dispersal or vicariance?. Journal of Biogeography. vol. 41 (11).
- (2014) The generic position of Stachys tibetica Vatke and amalgamation of the genera Eriophyton and Stachyopsis (Lamiaceae subfam. Lamioideae). Plant Systematics and Evolution. vol. 300 (5).