Background and activities
Research I use a phylogenetic approach to studying a range of biological aspects in various groups of plants (e.g. the Lamiaceae) and fungi (incl. lichens), from population to family level. I frequently include archived collections (i.e. herbarium and fungarium specimens) in my research and use recently developed statistical tools for data analysis. I co-lead the researcher group Integrative Taxonomy and DNA-barcoding (TAXA) with Torbjørn Ekrem. I am actively participating in the groups Bio3D (NTNU) and ISOP (NHM, UiO).
MSc project in biosystematics / conservation genetics? We offer MSc projects on both plants and fungi. See this page for short description of ongoing projects.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) An updated tribal classification of Lamiaceae based on plastome phylogenomics. BMC Biology. vol. 19 (2).
- (2020) A revision of the genus Aciculopsora (Ramalinaceae) with the description of one new species and one new combination. Plant and Fungal Systematics. vol. 65 (1).
- (2020) New and noteworthy lichens and lichenicolous fungi from Norway. Graphis Scripta. vol. 32 (1).
- (2020) Integrative taxonomy confirms three species of Coniocarpon (Arthoniaceae) in Norway. MycoKeys. vol. 62.
- (2020) Increasing Cervidae populations have variable impacts on habitat suitability for threatened forest plant and lichen species. Forest Ecology and Management. vol. 473.
- (2020) Integrative taxonomy reveals a new species, Nephroma orvoi, in the N. parile species complex (lichenized Ascomycota). Graphis Scripta. vol. 32 (4).
- (2019) A regional study of the genus Phyllopsora (Ramalinaceae) in Asia and Melanesia. MycoKeys. vol. 53.
- (2019) (2687) Proposal to conserve the name Phyllopsora against Triclinum and Crocynia (Ramalinaceae, lichenized Ascomycota). Taxon. vol. 68 (3).
- (2019) Towards an integrative taxonomy of Phyllopsora (Ramalinaceae). The Lichenologist. vol. 51 (4).
- (2019) DNA Sequencing Historical Lichen Specimens. Frontiers in Ecology and Evolution. vol. 7.
- (2019) Differential patterns of floristic phylogenetic diversity across a post-glacial landscape. Journal of Biogeography. vol. 47.
- (2018) Draft genome sequence and annotation of the lichen-forming fungus Arthonia radiata. Microbiology Resource Announcements (MRA). vol. 6 (14).
- (2018) Xylopsora canopeorum (Umbilicariaceae), a new lichen species from the canopy of Sequoia sempervirens. MycoKeys. vol. 30.
- (2018) Molecular systematics and character evolution in the lichen family Ramalinaceae (Ascomycota: Lecanorales). Taxon. vol. 67 (5).
- (2018) Contrasting spatial, temporal and environmental patterns in observation and specimen based species occurrence data. PLOS ONE. vol. 13 (4).
- (2018) Considerations and consequences of allowing DNA sequence data as types of fungal taxa. IMA Fungus. vol. 9 (1).
- (2017) Geographically disjunct phylogenetic lineages in Leptogium hibernicum reveal Leptogium krogiae sp. nov. from East Africa. The Lichenologist. vol. 49 (3).
- (2017) Speciation in the genera Anthericum and Chlorophytum (Asparagaceae) in Ethiopia — a molecular phylogenetic approach. Phytotaxa. vol. 297 (2).
- (2017) The next generation fungal diversity researcher. Fungal Biology Reviews. vol. 31 (3).
- (2017) Finding Evolutionary Processes Hidden in Cryptic Species. Trends in Ecology & Evolution. vol. 33 (3).