Background and activities
Dr Amin's research activities mainly focus on power electronics application to power system, application of artificial intelligence in power electronics system, distributed generation, renewable energy integration, HVDC transmission, FACTS, microgrid, smart grids, hybrid or fully electric vehicles, and robust control theory for power electronics system. His vision is to develop a top research center that fully explores the beauty of seamless integration of control and power electronics and addresses fundamental problems in various electric power systems, with strong support from funding bodies and industrial companies.
ELK21-Electronics for Control of Power (Autumn 2019-)
TET4100-Circuit Analysis (Autumn 2019-)
TET4180-Power System Stability and Control (Spring 2020)
IELET2121-Power Electronics (Autumn 2019-)
1. The 2020 Premium Award for best paper in IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution: J. Lyu, X. Cai, M. Amin and M. Molinas, "Subsynchronous Oscillation Mechanism and Its Suppression in MMC-Based HVDC Connected Wind Farms", in IET Generation, Transmission and Distribution, Volume 12, Issue 4, 27 February 2018.
- IELEG2121 - Power Electronics
- TET4100 - Circuit Analysis
- TET4555 - Power Electronics and Components, Specialisation Course
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Phase-Tracking Robust-Synchronization-Loop for Grid-Connected Converters. IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery.
- (2021) A Comprehensive Investigation on High-Frequency Oscillation in DC Microgrid. IEEE Access.
- (2021) Small-signal modeling and tuning of Synchronverter-based wind energy conversion systems. International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems. vol. 31 (5).
- (2021) Control and optimisation of networked microgrids: A review. IET Renewable Power Generation.
- (2021) Single-Stage Grid-Connected PV System with Finite Control Set Model Predictive Control and an Improved Maximum Power Point Tracking. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy. vol. 13 (2).
- (2021) Smart Grid Research and Educational Kit to Enable the Control of Power Electronic-based Systems from Simulations to Experiments in Hours. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 53 (02).
- (2020) An Anti-Islanding Protection for VSM Inverters in Distributed Generation. IEEE Open Journal of Power Electronics (OJPE). vol. 01.
- (2020) Dynamic control of grid-connected microgrids for tie-line smoothing. International Transactions on Electrical Energy Systems.
- (2020) Go Real: Power Electronics From Simulations to Experiments in Hours: Versatile Experimental Tool for Next Generation Engineers. IEEE Power Electronics Magazine.
- (2019) A Gray-Box Method for Stability and Controller Parameter Estimation in HVDC-Connected Wind Farms Based on Nonparametric Impedance. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (1982. Print). vol. 66 (3).
- (2019) Resynchronization of Distributed Generation based on the Universal Droop Controller for Seamless Transfer Between Operation Modes. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (1982. Print).
- (2017) Small-Signal Stability Assessment of Power Electronics based Power Systems: A Discussion of Impedance- and Eigenvalue-based Methods. IEEE transactions on industry applications. vol. 53 (5).
- (2017) Understanding the origin of oscillatory phenomena observed between wind farms and HVDC systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. vol. 5 (1).
- (2017) Impact of power flow direction on the stability of VSC-HVDC seen from the impedance nyquist plot. IEEE transactions on power electronics. vol. 32 (10).
- (2017) Self-synchronisation of Wind Farm in MMC-based HVDC System: A Stability Investigation. IEEE transactions on energy conversion. vol. 32 (2).
- (2017) Sub-synchronous Oscillation Mechanism and Its Suppression in MMC-Based HVDC Connected Wind Farms. IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution. vol. 12 (4).
- (2016) Understanding the origin of oscillatory phenomena observed between wind farms and HVdc systems. IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics. vol. 5 (1).
- (2016) Impact of Power Flow Direction on the Stability of VSC-HVDC Seen from the Impedances Nyquist Plot. IEEE transactions on power electronics.
Part of book/report
- (2021) Adaptive Vector Control of Grid-tied VSC using Multilayer Perceptron-Recurrent Neural Network. IECON 2021 – 47th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society.
- (2021) Single-stage Grid-connected PV System with Artificial Neural Network Controller. 2021 IEEE 22nd Workshop on Control and Modelling of Power Electronics (COMPEL).