Background and activities
Mohammadreza Aghaei received a Ph.D. degree in electrical engineering from Politecnico di Milano, Italy in 2016. He joined Fraunhofer ISE as visiting scholar in 2015. He was a Postdoctoral Scientist at Fraunhofer ISE and Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin (HZB)-PVcomB, Germany, in 2017 and 2018, respectively. He has been joined to the Department of Sustainable Systems Engineering (INATECH), Solar Energy Engineering at the University of Freiburg, as a Guest Scientist and Lecturer in 2017. Later, he also fulfilled another two years postdoc in the Design of Sustainable Energy Systems Group at Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e), in the Netherlands. He was also appointed as an Adjunct Professor at Amirkabir University of Technology (AUT) in 2020. Since 2019, he has been the chair of the working group 2: reliability and durability of PV in EU COST Action PEARL PV, and currently, he supports WG2 as vice-chair.
Currently, he is working as a senior scientist (postdoctoral fellow) at the Smart Buildings and Infrastructure group at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) in Norway. He is also the co-coordinator of an EU Horizon 2020 project “COLLECTiEF” - Collective Intelligence for Energy Flexibility. He is also an IEEE senior member.
He authored numerous publications in internationally refereed journals, book chapters, and conference proceedings. His main research interests include Photovoltaics, Energy Transition, Autonomous Monitoring, Artificial Intelligence (AI), Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV).
Scientific, academic and artistic work
- (2022) Measured power conversion efficiencies of bifacial luminescent solar concentrator photovoltaic devices of the mosaic series. Progress in Photovoltaics.
- (2022) Simulations of Luminescent Solar Concentrator Bifacial Photovoltaic Mosaic Devices Containing Four Different Organic Luminophores. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics. vol. 12 (3).
- (2022) Review of degradation and failure phenomena in photovoltaic modules. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews. vol. 159.
- (2022) Automatic Inspection of Photovoltaic Power Plants Using Aerial Infrared Thermography: A Review. Energies. vol. 15 (6).
- (2022) Cloud Computing and IoT Based Intelligent Monitoring System for Photovoltaic Plants Using Machine Learning Techniques. Energies. vol. 15 (9).
- (2022) RoboPV: An integrated software package for autonomous aerial monitoring of large scale PV plants. Energy Conversion and Management. vol. 254.
- (2021) A deep convolutional encoder-decoder architecture for autonomous fault detection of PV plants using multi-copters. Solar Energy. vol. 223.
- (2021) Prospect of single and coupled heterojunction solar cells based on n-MoS2 and n-WS2. Materials Science & Engineering: B. Solid-state Materials for Advanced Technology. vol. 274.
- (2020) Aerial infrared thermography for low-cost and fast fault detection in utility-scale PV power plants. Solar Energy.
- (2020) Fault Detection and Classification for Photovoltaic Systems Based on Hierarchical Classification and Machine Learning Technique. IEEE transactions on industrial electronics (1982. Print).
- (2020) Line-line fault detection and classification for photovoltaic systems using ensemble learning model based on I-V characteristics. Solar Energy.