Background and activities
Morten Omholt Alver (1977) is Adjunct Associate Professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. He belongs to the research group for Automation in fishery and aquaculture. He has a MSc and a PhD from the Department of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU.
My main qualifications are within mathematical model development, ocean modelling, individual based energetic models, population models, instrumentation and automation in marine aquaculture, and programming/software development. I have experience with several established model systems within oceanography (SINMOD and ROMS) and meteorology (WRF), and have worked on development of modules within both SINMOD and ROMS for several years. Within the field of cage aquaculture I have worked on modelling of fish behavior, growth and feed distribution, as well as cooperating with the industry on developing automatic salmon lice detection systems.
2009- Research Scientist/Research Manager, Dept. of Marine Resources Technology, Marine Modeling. From July 2013, Research Manager, Marine Modeling
2010- Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU (20% position)
2007-2010 Post.Doc, Dept. of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
2002-2009 Part time position, Mathematical modeling, software development, Thelma AS
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) The kelp cultivation potential in coastal and offshore regions of Norway. Frontiers in Marine Science.
- (2018) Information-driven robotic sampling in the coastal ocean. Journal of Field Robotics. vol. 35 (7).
- (2018) Modelling how the physical scale of experimental tanks affects salmon growth performance. Aquaculture. vol. 495.
- (2018) Modelling and simulation of rotary feed spreaders with application to sea cage aquaculture ? A study of common and alternative designs. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 82.
- (2017) Precision fish farming: A new framework to improve production in aquaculture. Biosystems Engineering. vol. 173.
- (2016) Validation of an Eulerian population model for the marine copepod Calanus finmarchicus in the Norwegian Sea. Journal of Marine Systems. vol. 160.
- (2016) Modelling of surface and 3D pellet distribution in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) cages. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 72-73.
- (2016) Modelling growth performance and feeding behaviour of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in commercial-size aquaculture net pens: Model details and validation through full-scale experiments. Aquaculture. vol. 464.
- (2016) Intrinsic settling rate and spatial diffusion properties of extruded fish feed pellets. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 74.
- (2016) Feed spreaders in sea cage aquaculture – Motion characterization and measurement of spatial pellet distribution using an unmanned aerial vehicle. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. vol. 129.
- (2014) A spectrally-resolved light propagation model for aquatic systems: Steps toward parameterizing primary production. Journal of Marine Systems. vol. 130.
- (2014) Optical impact of an Emiliania huxleyi bloom in the frontal region of the Barents Sea. Journal of Marine Systems. vol. 130.
- (2014) Sex and life stage dependent phototactic response of the marine copepod Calanus finmarchicus (Copepoda: Calanoida). Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. vol. 451.
- (2013) Architecture for automation and telepresence in a marine hatchery laboratory. Communications in agricultural and applied biological sciences. vol. 78 (10).
- (2013) Modelling the cultivation and bioremediation potential of the kelp Saccharina latissima in close proximity to an exposed salmon farm in Norway. Aquaculture Environment Interactions. vol. 4 (2).
- (2012) The effects of moderate ozonation or high intensity UV-irradiation on the microbial environment in RAS for marine larvae. Aquaculture. vol. 330.
- (2011) Automatic measurement of Acartia tonsa nauplii density, and estimation of stage distribution. Aquaculture. vol. 313 (1-4).
- (2011) Growth of farmed blue mussels (Mytilus edulis L.) in a Norwegian coastal area; comparison of food proxies by DEB modeling. Journal of Sea Research. vol. 66 (4).
- (2010) Automatic control of growth and density in rotifer cultures. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 43 (1).
- (2009) Status and challenges in cod larval production. Special Publications (European Aquaculture Society).