Morten Omholt Alver
Background and activities
Morten Omholt Alver (1977) is Adjunct Associate Professor at the Department of Engineering Cybernetics. He belongs to the research group for Automation in fishery and aquaculture. He has a MSc and a PhD from the Department of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU.
My main qualifications are within mathematical model development, ocean modelling, individual based energetic models, population models, instrumentation and automation in marine aquaculture, and programming/software development. I have experience with several established model systems within oceanography (SINMOD and ROMS) and meteorology (WRF), and have worked on development of modules within both SINMOD and ROMS for several years. Within the field of cage aquaculture I have worked on modelling of fish behavior, growth and feed distribution, as well as cooperating with the industry on developing automatic salmon lice detection systems.
2018- Associate professor, Dept. of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU.
2009-2018 Research Scientist/Research Manager, Dept. of Marine Resources Technology, Marine Modeling. From July 2013, Research Manager, Marine Modeling
2010-2018 Adjunct Associate Professor, Dept. of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU (20% position)
2007-2010 Post.Doc, Dept. of Engineering Cybernetics, NTNU
2002-2009 Part time position, Mathematical modeling, software development, Thelma AS
- TK8108 - Topics in Fisheries and Aquaculture Cybernetics for PhD students
- TTK4115 - Linear System Theory
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Predicting oxygen levels in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) sea cages. Aquaculture.
- (2022) Adaptive Underwater Robotic Sampling of Dispersal Dynamics in the Coastal Ocean. Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics.
- (2022) Tuning and Development of an Individual-Based Model of the Herring Spawning Migration. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 8.
- (2021) Automation Concepts for Industrial-Scale Production of Seaweed. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 8.
- (2020) Feed intake in Atlantic salmon fed with or without surface spreading of feed. Journal of Agricultural and Marine Sciences (JAMS). vol. 25 (1).
- (2020) Multiscale modelling of cage effects on the transport of effluents from open aquaculture systems. PLOS ONE. vol. 15 (3).
- (2020) Dispersal of salmon lice (Lepeophtheirus salmonis Krøyer, 1837) egg strings from open-cage salmon farming: A neglected source for infestation dynamics. Aquaculture Research. vol. 51 (11).
- (2020) High-resolution numerical modelling of a marine mine tailings discharge in Western Norway. Regional Studies in Marine Science. vol. 39.
- (2019) The Kelp Cultivation Potential in Coastal and Offshore Regions of Norway. Frontiers in Marine Science. vol. 5.
- (2019) Fish Welfare Based Classification Method of Ocean Current Speeds at Aquaculture Sites. Aquaculture Environment Interactions. vol. 11.
- (2019) Simulation tool for hyper-spectral imaging from a satellite. Workshop on Hyperspectral Image and Signal Processing, Evolution in Remote Sensing. vol. 2019-September.
- (2019) Impacts of fish farm structures with biomass on water currents: A case study from Frøya. Journal of Sea Research.
- (2018) Information-driven robotic sampling in the coastal ocean. Journal of Field Robotics (JFR). vol. 35 (7).
- (2018) Modelling how the physical scale of experimental tanks affects salmon growth performance. Aquaculture. vol. 495.
- (2018) Modelling and simulation of rotary feed spreaders with application to sea cage aquaculture - A study of common and alternative designs. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 82.
- (2017) Precision fish farming: A new framework to improve production in aquaculture. Biosystems Engineering. vol. 173.
- (2016) Validation of an Eulerian population model for the marine copepod Calanus finmarchicus in the Norwegian Sea. Journal of Marine Systems. vol. 160.
- (2016) Modelling of surface and 3D pellet distribution in Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) cages. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 72-73.
- (2016) Modelling growth performance and feeding behaviour of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar L.) in commercial-size aquaculture net pens: Model details and validation through full-scale experiments. Aquaculture. vol. 464.
- (2016) Intrinsic settling rate and spatial diffusion properties of extruded fish feed pellets. Aquacultural Engineering. vol. 74.