Background and activities
Associate Professor at Oslo and Akershus University College of Applied Sciences (Oslo).
Research interests: * Bio-inspired computation; *Cellular automata; *Genetic algorithms; *Artificial development & evolution; *Complex systems; *Evolution in Materio
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Universality of Evolved Cellular Automata in-Materio. International Journal of Unconventional Computing. vol. 13 (1).
- (2016) Evolutionary Growth of Genome Representations on Artificial Cellular Organisms with Indirect Encodings. Artificial Life. vol. 22 (1).
- (2016) Dynamics in Carbon Nanotubes for In-Materio Computation. International Journal On Advances in Systems and Measurements. vol. 9 (1, 2).
- (2014) Measuring phenotypic structural complexity of artificial cellular organisms: Approximation of kolmogorov complexity with lempel-ziv compression. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. vol. 237.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Computational Matter: Evolving Computational Functions in Nanoscale Materials. Advances in Unconventional Computing. Volume 2: Prototypes, Models and Algorithms.
- (2016) Towards Standalone In-Materio Devices: Stable Logic Gates and Elementary Cellular Automata in Carbon Nanotubes Material. 2016 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE World Congrees on Computational Intelligence 2016.
- (2016) An Explanation of Computation - Collective Electrodynamics in Blobs of Carbon Nanotubes. 9th EAI International Conference on Bio-inspired Information and Communications Technologies (formerly BIONETICS).
- (2016) Genotype Regulation by Self-modifying Instruction-Based Development on Cellular Automata. Parallel Problem Solving from Nature – PPSN XIV, 14th International Conference, Edinburgh, UK, September 17-21, 2016, Proceedings.
- (2015) Bringing Colours to the Black Box - A Novel Approach to Explaining Materials for Evolution-in-Materio. FUTURE COMPUTING 2015, The Seventh International Conference on Future Computational Technologies and Applications.
- (2015) An Investigation of Square Waves for Evolution in Carbon Nanotubes Material. Proceedings of the European Conference on Artificial Life 2015.
- (2015) Is There Chaos in Blobs of Carbon Nanotubes Used to Perform Computation?. FUTURE COMPUTING 2015, The Seventh International Conference on Future Computational Technologies and Applications.
- (2015) An Investigation of Underlying Physical Properties Exploited by Evolution in Nanotubes Materials. Proceedings of 2015 IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence, SSCI 2015.
- (2015) Morphogenesis and Replication of Multi-Cellular Organisms with Evolved Variable Length Self-Modifying Genomes. Proceedings of the European Conference on Artificial Life 2015.
- (2014) Evolutionary Growth of Genomes for the Development and Replication of Multicellular Organisms with Indirect Encoding. 2014 IEEE International Conference on Evolvable Systems Proceedings.
- (2014) Investigation of Genome Parameters and Sub-Transitions to Guide Evolution of Artificial Cellular Organisms. Applications of Evolutionary Computation. 17th European Conference, EvoApplications 2014, Granada, Spain, April 23-25, 2014.
- (2013) Evolution of Incremental Complex Behavior on Cellular Machines. Advances in Artificial Life, ECAL 2013.Proceedings of the Twelfth European Conference on the Synthesis and Simulation of Living Systems.
- (2013) Measuring Phenotypic Structural Complexity of Artificial Cellular Organisms. Approximation of Kolmogorov Complexity with Lempel-Ziv Compression. Innovations in Bio-inspired Computing and Applications. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Innovations in Bio-inspired Computing and Applications, IBICA 2013, August 22-24, 2013 - Ostrava, Czech Republic.
- (2012) Genome Parameters as Information to Forecast Emergent Developmental Behaviors. 11th International Conference Unconventional Computation and Natural Computation, UCNC 2012.
- (2011) Discrete Dynamics of Cellular Machines: Specification and Interpretation. 13th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2011.
- (2011) On the correlations between developmental diversity and genomic composition. 13th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2011.