Background and activities
Ph.D. in Environmental, Safety and Chemical Engineering, Department of Chemical, Mining, and Environmental Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy.
Master’s in Chemical and Process Engineering with highest honors, Department of Chemical, Mining, and Environmental Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy.
Positions - current and previous
Professor of Risk Assessment, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, NTNU, Norway.
Adjunct Professor of Offshore HSE Management, Department of Civil, Chemical, Environmental, and Materials Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy.
Associate Professor of Risk Assessment, Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, NTNU, Norway.
Research Scientist, Department of Safety Research, SINTEF Technology and Society, Norway.
Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Chemical, Mining and Environmental Engineering, University of Bologna, Italy.
Project management experience
SINTEF - SH2IFT-2, Safe Hydrogen Fuel Handling and Use for Efficient Implementation 2 - Participant Contact - Norwegian Research Council and industrial companies
NTNU-IE – SIGNIFY, Sensor Validation for Digital Twins of Safety-Critical Systems - Participant Contact - Norwegian Research Council
CLEF Coopérative pour les Energies du Futur - H2 Coop Storage, Development of tools enabling the deployment of a hybrid hydrogen and electric storage solution on a district scale - Participant Contact - Nordic Energy through Smart Energy ERA-Net
SINTEF - SH2IFT, Safe Hydrogen Fuel Handling and Use for Efficient Implementation - Participant Contact - Norwegian Research Council and industrial companies
eSmart Systems – RiskManager, Dynamic risk management for smart grids in large-scale interconnected power systems - Participant Contact - Norwegian Research Council
SINTEF - New Strains of Society: Hidden, Dynamic and Emergent Vulnerabilities – development of an analytical framework to handle new societal threats - Task Manager - Norwegian Research Council
SINTEF - Risikoanalyse i drift, development of real-time risk analysis concepts - Task Manager - ENI Norge
SINTEF - Methodology for monitoring safety level development in and around Seveso establishments - Participant Contact - Norwegian Directorate for Civil Protection
IFE - Petro-HRA, Analysis of human actions as barriers in major accidents in the petroleum industry, applicability of human reliability analysis methods - Task Manager - Norwegian Research Council
NTNU – IOCenter, Center for Integrated Operations in the Petroleum Industry - Task Manager - Norwegian Research Council and industrial companies
SINTEF – DemoCLOCK, Demonstration of a cost-effective medium size Chemical Looping Combustion through packed beds using solid hydrocarbons as fuel for power production with CO2 capture - Task Manager – EC 7th Framework Programme
EU-VRi - iNTeg-Risk, Early recognition, monitoring and integrated management of emerging, new technology related risks - Task Manager - EC 7th Framework Programme
Supervision of students
Master's students: 33
Ph.D. students: 11
Other relevant professional experiences
Included in the Elsevier BV database of 2% science-wide top scientists in 2020 based on standardized citation indicators.
Visiting professor at University of Parma. Funded by the Erasmus+ agreement between NTNU and University of Parma
Visiting professor at Alma Mater University of Bologna. Funded by the Institute of Advanced Studies of the University of Bologna
Head of the NTNU Energy Team Hydrogen
Member of the editorial board for the “Journal of Integrated Security and Safety Science”
Member of the editorial board for the “Journal of Marine Science and Engineering”
Member of the editorial board for the “Journal of Risk Research”
Member of the editorial board of the journal “Safety in Extreme Environments”
2019, 2018 & 2017
Visiting professor at Sapienza University in Rome. Funded by the Erasmus+ agreement between NTNU and Sapienza
Head of the evaluation committee for a full-time permanent position of Associate Professor in Maritime Human Factors. University of South-Eastern Norway
Chartered Engineer registered in the British Engineering Council register
Charted Scientist registered in the British Science Council register
Member of the board and treasurer of the Society of Risk Analysis Europe
Associate editor for the journal “Safety Science”
Norwegian Delegate of the Working Party on Loss Prevention and Safety Promotion, European Federation of Chemical Engineering (EFCE)
Co-chair on Accident and Incident modelling, European Safety and Reliability Association (ESRA) Technical Committee
PhD examiner for 6 PhD dissertations
Visiting Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN), St John’s, Canada. Funded by: Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) and Marco Polo grant awarded by University of Bologna.
INVITED PRESENTATIONS AND SPEECHES
“Risk and safety of hydrogen technologies in the framework of climate change”, invited speech for PhD students of the Department of Chemical, Mining and Environmental Engineerin, University of Bologna, Italy
“Are we going towards “no-brainer” safety management?”, invited speech at the “New Technologies and Work” workshop on “Safety in the Digital Age, Royaumont Abbey, France.
29/04/2021 & 07/05/2020
“Human Factors in Process Safety”, invited seminar given at the University of Brescia, Italy.
“Dynamic Risk Analysis and Human Reliability Analysis”, invited seminar given at Hanoi University of Mining and Geology, Vietnam.
“Process safety education in Europe”, invited speech given at International Conference on Safety and Environment, Milan, Italy
“Dynamic Risk Analysis in the Process Industry”, invited seminar for the Chemical Engineering students of the James Cook University in Townsville, Australia.
“Risk and barrier assessment in an Integrated Operations context”, invited presentation at CGE Risk Management Solutions User Group Meeting, Stavanger (Norway).
FELLOWSHIPS, AWARDS AND PRIZES
Onsager fellowship, awarded by NTNU (Norway) “to attract the most talented scholars who have an established reputation for high-quality research and a commitment to learning and teaching at the university level”.
Frank Lees Medal, awarded by the Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE – United Kingdom) for “the most meritorious publication on the topic of safety and loss prevention”.
- TPK5160 - Risk Analysis
- TPK4950 - Reliability, Availability, Maintainability, and Safety, Master's Thesis
- TPK4550 - Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety, Specialization Project
- PK8224 - System Resilience and Dynamic Risk Analysis
- TPK4852 - Experts in Teamwork - Hydrogen in Transportation for a Safe and Sustainable Future
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Design and Optimization of an Emergency Auto-thermal Burner for Liquid Hydrogen. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 91.
- (2022) A Risk Aspect of Periodic Testing on Pressure Relief Valves. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 90.
- (2022) Digital Twin Concept for Risk Analysis of Oil Storage Tanks in Operations: a Systems Engineering Approach. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 90.
- (2022) An Approach to Update the Failure Rates of Safety Barriers Based on Operating Experience. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 90.
- (2022) A Machine Learning Approach to Analyze Natural Hazards Accidents Scenarios. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 91.
- (2022) Decision Fusion for Carbon Dioxide Release Detection from Pressure Relief Devices. Proceedings of the IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop.
- (2022) Learning from major accidents: A machine learning approach. Computers and Chemical Engineering. vol. 162.
- (2022) Prediction of Condensed Phase Formation during an Accidental Release of Liquid Hydrogen. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 91.
- (2022) On the Mechanical Energy Involved in the Catastrophic Rupture of Liquid Hydrogen Tanks. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 91.
- (2022) Cryogenic Hydrogen Storage Tanks Exposed to Fires: a CFD Study. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 90.
- (2022) Experimental Investigation into the Consequences of Release of Liquified Hydrogen onto and under Water. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 90.
- (2022) Medium-scale Tests to Investigate the Possibility and Effects of BLEVEs of Storage Vessels Containing Liquified Hydrogen. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 90.
- (2021) Approach to the selection of strategies for emerging risk management considering uncertainty as the main decision variable in occupational contexts. Safety Science. vol. 134.
- (2021) Transient simulation of failures during start-up and power cut of a solid oxide fuel cell system using multiphysics modeling. Material Design & Processing Communications (MDPC). vol. 3 (5).
- (2021) Safety barrier management: Risk‐based approach for the oil and gas sector. Journal of Marine Science and Engineering. vol. 9 (7).
- (2021) Learning from failures in cruise ship industry: The blackout of Viking Sky in Hustadvika, Norway. Engineering Failure Analysis. vol. 125.
- (2021) Dynamic Risk Analysis from the Perspective of Life Cycle Approach in Iec 61508 and Iec 61511. Chemical Engineering Transactions. vol. 86.
- (2021) On hierarchical bayesian based predictive maintenance of autonomous natural gas regulating operations. Process Safety and Environmental Protection. vol. 147.
- (2021) On risk-based maintenance: A comprehensive review of three approaches to track the impact of consequence modelling for predicting maintenance actions. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 72.
- (2021) Investigating occupational and operational industrial safety data through Business Intelligence and Machine Learning. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. vol. 73.