Background and activities
Odd Magnus Faltinsen is currently a Professor of Marine Hydrodynamics at NTNU. He has worked on broad aspects of hydrodynamics of displacement ships, high-speed craft, offshore structures and fish farms including the effect of hydroelasticity. He has developed an educational program in marine hydrodynamics at NTNU, Trondheim and made “analytical and practical contributions to the innovative analysis of wave loads and resulting motions of ships and offshore structures” (National Academy of Engineering, USA).
He has educated 59 PhD. Faltinsen is the author of the three textbooks Sea loads on Ships and Offshore Structures, Hydrodynamics of High-Speed Marine Vehicles, Sloshing (co-authored with A. N. Timokha). They have all been published by Cambridge University Press and are translated to Chinese. The sea-load book has also been translated into Korean. He has authored about 450 publications in scientific journals, conferences and books, and given about 50 keynote and honours lectures.
Faltinsen was born in 1944 in Stavanger, Norway, and obtained a cand. real. degree in applied mathematics at the University of Bergen in 1968 and a PhD degree in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering in 1971 at the University of Michigan. He was employed by DNV from 1968 to 1974, was dosent in marine technology from 1974 to 1976 and professor of Marine Hydrodynamics from 1976 at NTNU. He was project leader of the Growth Point Centre on Hydroelasticity at NTH/SINTEF (1991 – 1996) and the Strong Point Centre on Hydroelasticity at NTNU/SINTEF (1997-2001). He was key scientist at the Centre of Excellence on Ship and Ocean Structures (CeSOS), NTNU (2002-2012) and is a Senior Scientific Advisor at the Centre of Excellence on Autonomous Marine Operations and System (AMOS), NTNU from 2013. He was visiting professor 3 times 1-year periods at MIT, USA and 3 month periods at the Research Institute of Applied Mechanics, Kyushu University, Japan and INSEAN, Rome, Italy. He is a visiting professor at University College London, honorary professor at Harbin Engineering University and Academic Master at Dalian University of Technology.
Faltinsen is one of the founders of the international conferences on Behavior of Offshore structures (BOSS), Fast Sea Transportation (FAST), Hydroelasticity in Marine Technology and has in addition been chairman of the international conferences PRADS (Practical Design in Shipbuilding) and ONR Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics. He is member of the editorial board of several international scientific journals. Faltinsen has been member of five International Towing Tank Conferences (ITTC) committees including two as chairperson, and three International Ship Structure Committees (ISSC).
Awards and Honors
He gave the 15th Georg Weinblum Lecture, 1992-1993 and Third Annual Honors Lecture, The Offshore Technology Research Centre, College Station and Austin, Texas; 1993. He received the Fridtjof Nansen’s award for outstanding research in science and medicine in 2011. The 26th International Workshop on Water Waves and Floating Bodies held in Athens on April 17-20, 2011 was dedicated to Professor Odd M. Faltinsen for his “lifetime scientific achievements”. The “Professor Odd Faltinsen Honoring Symposium on Marine Hydrodynamics” was arranged at OMAE 2013, Nantes, France in June 9-14, 2013. He received the OOAE Division-ASME Lifetime Achievement Award in “grateful recognition of significant lifetime contributions to marine and offshore hydrodynamics” in June 2013 and the Sobena International Award in 2014. He is the presenter of 2016 Wallace Lecture at MIT.
Faltinsen is elected member of Norwegian Academy for Technical Sciences, Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters, corresponding member of Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, foreign member of the National Academy of Engineering, USA and the Chinese Academy of Engineering.
Selected publications 2011-2015
Faltinsen, O. M, Firoozhkoohi, R.,Timokha, A., 2011, Steady-state liquid sloshing in a rectangular tank with slat-type screen in the middle: quasi-linear theory modal analysis and experiments, Vol. 23, Issue 4, Physics of Fluids 23
Sun, H., Faltinsen, O. M., 2011, Dynamic motions of planing vessels in head sea. J Mar Sci Technol., 162, 168-180.
Abrahamsen, B. C., Faltinsen, O. M, 2011. The effect of air leakage and heat exchange on the decay of entrapped air pocket slamming oscillations, Physics of Fluids, 23, 1-17
Kristiansen, T., Faltinsen, O. M., 2011. Gap resonance analyzed by a new domain-decomposition method combining potential and viscous flow, Applied Ocean Research 34,198-208
Xiang, X., Faltinsen, O.M., 2011. Maneuvering of two interacting ships in calm water. SOBENA Journal of Marine Systems & Ocean Technology (MS&OT), 6, 2
Kristiansen, T., Faltinsen O.M., 2012. Modeling of current loads on aquaculture net cages, J. of Fluids and Structures, 34, 218-235,
Sun, H., Faltinsen, O. M., 2012, Hydrodynamic Forces on a semi-displacement ship at high speed. Applied Ocean Research. Vol. 34, pp 68-77.
Shao, Y-L, Faltinsen, O. M., 2012, A numerical study of the second-order wave excitation of ship springing with infinite water depth, Journal of Engineering for the Maritime Environment; 226 (2): 103-119.
An, S., Faltinsen, O.M., 2012, Linear free-surface effects on a horizontally submerged and perforated 2D thin plate in finite and infinite water depths, Applied Ocean Research 37, 220-234
Prpic-Orsic, J., Faltinsen, O. M., 2012. Estimation of ship speed loss and associated CO2 emissions in a seaway, Ocean Engineering, 44, 1, 1-10
Faltinsen, O. M., Timokha, A. N., 2012, On sloshing modes in a circular tank, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 2012, 695, 467-477.
Faltinsen, O. M., Timokha, A. N., 2012. Analytically approximate natural sloshing modes for a spherical tank shape, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 703, 391-402
Abrahamsen, B. C. , Faltinsen, O. M., 2012, The natural frequency of the pressure oscillations inside a water-wave entrapped air pocket on a rigid wall, Journal of Fluids and Structures 35, 200-212
Shao, Y.L., Faltinsen, O.M., 2012, Linear seakeeping and added resistance analysis by means of body-fixed coordinate system. J Mar Sci Technol
Abrahamsen, B. C. , Faltinsen, O. M., 2013, Scaling of entrapped gas-pocket slamming events at dissimilar Euler number, Journal of Fluids and Structures , 40, 246-257
An, S., Faltinsen, O.M., 2013, An experimental and numerical study of heave added mass and damping of horizontally submerged and perforated rectangular plates, Journal of Fluids and Structures, 39, 87-101
Faltinsen, O. M., Timokha, A. N., 2013. Multimodal analysis of weakly nonlinear sloshing in a spherical tank, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 719, 129-164
Faltinsen O.M., Timokha A.N., 2014. Analytically approximate natural sloshing modes and frequencies in two-dimensional tanks. European J. Mech. B/Fluids, 47, 176-187.
Greco M., Lugni C., Faltinsen O.M., 2014, Can the water on deck influence the parametric roll of a FPSO? A numerical and experimental investigation, European Journal of Mechanics - B/Fluids, 47.
Shao Y.L., Faltinsen O.M., 2014. A Harmonic Polynomial Cell (HPC) method for 3D Laplace equation with application in marine Hydrodynamics. Journal of Computational Physics, 274, 312-332.
C. Lugni, A. Bardazzi, O. M. Faltinsen, Graziani , 2014, Hydroelastic slamming response in the evolution of a flip-through event during shallow-liquid sloshing’ Physics of Fluids, 26
Kristiansen, T., Faltinsen, O. M., 2014, Experimental and numerical study of an aquaculture net cage with floater in waves and current, J. Fluids and Structures.
Fredriksen, A., Kristiansen, T., Faltinsen, O. M., 2014, Experimental and numerical investigation of wave resonance in moonpools at low forward speed", Applied Ocean Research, 47, 28-46
Ommani, B., Faltinsen, O.M., 2014. Viscous and potential forces on an advancing surface-piercing flat plate with a fixed drift angle. J Mar Sci Technol 1–14.
Greco M, Lugni C, Faltinsen OM. 2015 Influence of motion coupling and nonlinear effects on parametric roll for a FPSO. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 373.
Fredriksen AG, Kristiansen T, Faltinsen OM. 2015 Wave-induced response of a floating 2D body with moonpool. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 373, 20140109.
Colicchio G, Greco M, Brocchini M, Faltinsen OM. 2015 Hydroelastic behaviour of a structure exposed to an underwater explosion. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 373,
J. Wang, C. Lugni, O. M. Faltinsen (2015). Experimental and numerical investigation of freefall wedges entering the water surface. Applied Ocean Research
J. Wang, C. Lugni, O. M. Faltinsen (2015). Analysis of loads, motions and cavity dynamics during a freefall wedge vertically entering the free surface. Applied Ocean Research
D. Kristiansen and O. M. Faltinsen, 2015, A numerical study on stratified shear layers with applications to oil-boom failure. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering,
Wei, Z. J., Faltinsen, O. M., Lugni, C., Yue, Q. J., 2015, Sloshing-induced slamming in screen-equipped rectangular tank in shallow-water conditions, Physics of Fluids.
Faltinsen, O. M., Timokha, A. N., 2015, On damping of two-dimensional piston-mode sloshing in a rectangular moonpool under forced heave motions, Journal of Fluid Mechanics
Liang H, Faltinsen O. M, Shao YL. 2015 Application of a 2D harmonic polynomial cell (HPC) method to singular flows and lifting problems. Applied Ocean Research.
C. Lugni, M. Greco, O. M. Faltinsen, 2015, Influence of yaw-roll coupling on the behavior of a FPSO: an experimental and numerical investigation, Applied Ocean Research, 51.
A. Bardazzi, C. Lugni, M. Antuono, G. Graziani, O.M. Faltinsen, 2015, Generalized HPC method for the Poisson equation, Journal of Computational Physics
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) The influence of fish on the mooring loads of a floating net cage. Journal of Fluids and Structures. vol. 76.
- (2018) Wave-Induced Accelerations of a Fish-Farm Elastic Floater: Experimental and Numerical Studies. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering-Transactions of The Asme. vol. 140.
- (2018) Local and Global Properties of the Harmonic Polynomial Cell Method: In-depth Analysis in Two Dimensions. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. vol. 113 (4).
- (2017) Sloshing. Advances in Mechanics. vol. 47.
- (2017) Resonant three-dimensional nonlinear sloshing in a square-base basin. Part 4. Oblique forcing and linear viscous damping. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 822.
- (2017) Higher harmonic wave loads on a vertical cylinder in finite water depth. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 833.
- (2017) Comparison of ship’s speed loss in waves in some numerical simulation methods. Journal of maritime researches. vol. 7.
- (2017) Development and validation of speed loss for a blunt-shaped ship in two rough sea voyages in the Southern Hemisphere. Ocean Engineering. vol. 142.
- (2017) Linear sloshing in a 2D rectangular tank with a flexible sidewall. Journal of Fluids and Structures. vol. 73.
- (2017) Improved numerical solution of Dobrovol'skaya's boundary integral equations on similarity flow for uniform symmetrical entry of wedges. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 66.
- (2016) Resonant sloshing in an upright annular tank. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. vol. 804.
- (2016) Undamped eigenperiods of a sea-based gravity monotower. Applied Mathematical Modelling. vol. 40 (19-20).
- (2016) Investigation of finite water depth sloshing in a tank in the presence of slat screens using model test and CFD. International Journal of Offshore and Polar Engineering. vol. 26 (2).
- (2016) Nonlinear vertical accelerations of a floating torus in regular waves. Journal of Fluids and Structures. vol. 66.
- (2016) Simplified CFD modeling for bilge keel force and hull pressure distribution on a rotating cylinder. Applied Ocean Research. vol. 58.
- (2016) Influence of operability criteria limiting values on ship speed. Brodogradnja. vol. 67 (3).
- (2016) The influence of route choice and operating conditions on fuel consumption and CO2 emission of ships. Journal of Marine Science and Technology. vol. 21 (3).
- (2016) Dynamics of vortex evolution in a 2D baffled tank. Computers and Mathematics with Applications. vol. 71 (1).
- (2015) Generalized HPC method for the Poisson equation. Journal of Computational Physics. vol. 299.
- (2015) Advances in fluid mechanics for offshore engineering: A modelling perspective. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences. vol. 373 (2033).