Øivind Kåre Kjerstad
Background and activities
Professor at NTNU, Department of Ocean Operations and Civil Engineering, Ålesund
My research is primarily geared towards guidance, navigation and control of marine surface vessels with the ambition of unifying the system design to enable automated and safe quay-to-quay operation utilizing the whole available velocity domain. This implies special focus on:
- Nonlinear and hybrid control design
- Sensor fusion, situational awareness, and motion planning
- Vessel dynamics and handling both structure interaction and abrupt unmodeled environmental disturbances
- Actuator modelling and thrust allocation
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Comparison of control design models and observers for dynamic positioning of surface vessels. Control Engineering Practice. vol. 85.
- (2018) A method for real-time estimation of full-scale global ice loads on floating structures. Cold Regions Science and Technology. vol. 156.
- (2018) An ice-drift estimation algorithm using radar and ship motion measurements. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing. vol. 56 (6).
- (2016) Disturbance rejection by acceleration feedforward for marine surface vessels. IEEE Access. vol. 4.
- (2016) A Robust Dynamic Positioning Tracking Control Law Mitigating Integral Windup. IFAC-PapersOnLine. vol. 49 (23).
- (2015) Experimental and phenomenological investigation of dynamic positioning in managed ice. Cold Regions Science and Technology. vol. 111.
- (2015) Description and numerical simulations of dynamic positioning in reversing managed ice. Proceedings - International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions.
- (2014) Modeling and Control for Dynamic Positioned Marine Vessels in Drifting Managed Sea Ice. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 35 (4).
- (2012) Feedforward linearization and disturbance rejection of mechanical systems using acceleration measurements. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 7 (1).
- (2012) Observer design with disturbance rejection by acceleration feedforward. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 7 (1).
- (2011) Disturbance rejection by acceleration feedforward: Application to dynamic positioning. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series. vol. 18 (1).
- (2010) Weather Optimal Positioning Control for Marine Surface Vessels. Elsevier IFAC Publications / IFAC Proceedings series.
Part of book/report
- (2017) AMOS DP Research Cruise 2016: Academic full-scale testing of experimental dynamic positioning control algorithms onboard R/V Gunnerus. ASME 2017 36th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering - Volume 1: Offshore Technology.
- (2015) A Tension-based Position Estimation Approach for Moored Marine Vessels. 10th IFAC Conference on Manoeuvring and Control of Marine Craft (MCMC 2015).
- (2013) Constrained nullspace-based thrust allocation for heading prioritized stationkeeping of offshore vessels in ice. The proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions.
- (2013) Recursive nullspace-based control allocation with strict prioritization for marine craft. Proceedings of the 9th IFAC Conference on Control Applications in Marine Systems (CAMS 2013).
- (2013) ICE-GOING CAPABILITY ASSESSMENT AND DP-ICE CAPABILITY PLOT FOR A DOUBLE ACTING INTERVENTION VESSEL IN LEVEL ICE. The proceedings of the 22nd International Conference on Port and Ocean Engineering under Arctic Conditions.