Background and activities
Ole-Morten Midtgård (born 1967) is Head of Department at the Department of Electric Power Engineering. He holds an MSc and a PhD in Electric Power Engineering from 1992 and 1997, respectively. He has been a professor at the department since 2012.
After receiving his MSc, Midtgård was a technical student in the Magnet Group at CERN, and then a teaching assistant (TA) at NTNU before commencing the PhD-studies in 1994. His PhD concerned three-dimensional computations of eddy currents using finite elements. In 1998 he started to work at ABB in Asker and later Oslo, where he worked on various R&D projects within electrical engineering and industrial IT. He was with the start-up company Magtech for about half a year in 2003/04, where he worked on a technology for variable inductance. He became a professor at Agder University College in 2004 (University of Agder from 2007). There he became interested in photovoltaic (PV) technology and contributed strongly to building up the university's research group in that area, as well as in establishing study programmes within renewable energy on all levels. During his tenure at the University of Agder, Midtgård also served on the board of the Faculty of Engineering and Science, the board of the University of Agder, and the board of Teknova. In 2012 Midtgård became a professor at NTNU, within Smart Grids with emphasis on active distribution grids, where Midtgård's focus has been on PV, power electronics, microgrids and storage. Midtgård's research interest is broad, and - in addition to the above - still includes electromagnetic computations. Prof. Midtgård is an elected member of Agder Academy of Sciences and Letters and of the Norwegian Academy of Technological Sciences (NTVA).
See the CV (link in the black field above) for more information.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Distributed control scheme for residential battery energy storage units coupled with PV systems. Renewable Energy. vol. 113.
- (2017) Control strategies for residential battery energy storage systems coupled with PV systems. 2017 IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering and 2017 IEEE Industrial and Commercial Power Systems Europe (EEEIC / I & CPS Europe.
- (2016) Optimization of operational cost for a grid-supporting PV system with battery storage. Renewable Energy. vol. 88.
- (2015) The impedance of two parallel plates. Electromagnetics. vol. 35 (2).
- (2013) Overirradiance (Cloud Enhancement) Events at High Latitudes. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics. vol. 3 (1).
- (2013) 100-millisecond Resolution for Accurate Overirradiance Measurements. IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics. vol. 3 (4).
- (2012) Application of circuit theory for extraction of water from oil. International journal of circuit theory and applications. vol. 40 (9).
- (2012) Series resistance determination and further characterization of c-Si PV modules. Renewable Energy. vol. 46.
- (2011) Analysis, Modeling and Simulation of Mechatronic Systems using the Bond Graph Method. Modeling, Identification and Control. vol. 32 (1).
- (2011) A new analytical solar cell I-V curve model. Renewable Energy. vol. 36 (8).
- (2010) A qualitative examination of performance and energy yield of photovoltaic modules in southern Norway. Renewable Energy. vol. 35 (6).
- (2010) A THEORETICAL STUDY OF THE EFFECT OF DEGRADATION CAUSED BY DIFFUSION OVER A 30-YEAR LIFESPAN IN c-Si PV DEVICES. Conference record of the Photovoltaic Specialists Conference.
- (2010) TiO2 Nanoparticles Mixed P3HT Hybrid Absorbing Layer. Conference record of the Photovoltaic Specialists Conference.
- (2010) EXTRACTING PARAMETERS FROM SEMI-LOG PLOTS OF POLYCRYSTALLINE SILICON PV MODULES OUTDOOR I-V DATA: DOUBLE-EXPONENTIAL MODEL REVISITED. Conference record of the Photovoltaic Specialists Conference.
- (2010) Two Diode Model Revisited: Parameters Extraction from Semi-log Plots of I-V Data. Conference record of the Photovoltaic Specialists Conference.
- (2009) Electrostatic field theory and circuit analysis in the design of coalescers with pulsed dc voltage. Chemical Engineering Journal. vol. 151 (1-3).
- (2008) A COMPARATIVE SIMULATION STUDY OF TWO-TERMINAL MULTIJUNCTION CELLS VERSUS CONNECTED INDIVIDUAL CELLS IN A SPECTRUM SPLITTING SCHEME. ?.
- (2000) Representation of current density in a three-dimensional hierarchical edge finite element method solving directly for the magnetic field. IEEE transactions on magnetics. vol. 36 (4).
- (1998) Efficient Spanning Trees for a High-Order Edge Element T-_C Eddy Current Formulation. IEEE transactions on magnetics. vol. 34 (5).
- (1998) A new hierarchal basis with a minimum number of unknowns on a mesh of hexahedra for the T-_C edge element eddy current method. IEEE transactions on magnetics. vol. 34 (5).