Background and activities
Dr.Ing. Ole Möystad M.Arch was appointed Full Professor at the NTNU (www.ntnu.edu/metamorphosis) in 2012. 2011-2015 he was the head of the faculty’s office at Xi’an University of Architecture and Technology in Xi’an (www.xauat.edu.cn), where he founded the Sino-Norwegian Architecture Forum (www.SNAForum.com), which he led in collaboration with XAUAT in Xi’an and Tsinghua University in Beijing through 2015, when he initiated and now heads the Urban Trigger Group at Metamorphosis, NTNU. The Urban Trigger Network comprises researchers from NTNU, TUDelft and Bartlett UCL. During 2016 Möystad was visiting researcher at TUDelft.
Möystad received his M.Arch from Oslo School of Architecture in 1986, and after obtaining his doctor of engineering in 1994, he took up a full time position as assistant professor in Architecture and Urban Design at the American University of Beirut (www.aub.edu.lb), where he taught, practiced and researched on processes of rapid change and urban reconstruction. Later he has been associated to ETSAB, Barcelona and Universidade Autonoma de Lisboa as a visiting lecturer in their PhD programs.
In order to maintain a realistic and pragmatist foothold for his research interests, he has always been engaged in architectural practice. In 2006 he co-founded STUDIO hp AS with M.Arch. PhD Hettie Pisters: www.STUDIOhp.as, and in 2015 he founded the Urban Trigger Group at the NTNU in Norway.
His research interest, first established in his doctorate, concerns the city conceived and construed as an intelligent (eco- )system. His main focus has always been to understand the built environment not in terms of bricks and mortar, but in terms of how we shape it (from initiation and concept through construction and use) and how it shapes us. After studying this topic theoretically through his doctoral research, he spent three years in post war Beirut investigating the pathology of the urban environment caused by the strain of too rapid change. During later years he has pursued these topics through a number of articles and projects, all with a keen eye on questions of intelligence, meaning and pragmatism; on the interplay between thoughts and things, as well as a search for the agents and triggers of urban change and development. He is currently summarizing his research in a scientific monography titled Cognition and the Built Environment, forthcoming on Routledge London/New York in December 2017.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2015) Rapid Change and Cultural Vacuum. Architecturenorway.no.
- (2014) Sted og identitet hører ikke sammen. Arkitektnytt.
- (2013) Is it Sustainable to Believe in Spite of Better Knowledge?. CONDITIONS magazine.
- (2013) Den urbane handling - Intelligens, plan og prosjekt i byutviklingen. Arkitektur N.
- (2013) The Urban Act Intelligence, Plan, and Project in Urban Development. Architecturenorway.no.
- (2012) The Spirit of Place in a Multicultural Society. Arkitektur N.
- (2012) Margarinfabrikken Barnehage. Arkitektur N.
- (2010) Egene Park, Stavanger. De Architect.
- (2010) Fields and Forces. CONDITIONS magazine.
- (2009) Sverre Fehn obituary. De Architect.
- (2009) Growing Infrastructure. CONDITIONS magazine. vol. 01 (01).
- (2010) Notodden Blueshus - utkast arkitektkonkurranse. STUDIO hp AS, Oslo. 2010.
- (2010) FutureBuilt Furuseth. STUDIO hp AS, Ghilardi og Hellsten Arkitekter. 2010.
- (2009) Vertical Landscape Urbanism. 'Scape Magazine, Wageningen, Nederland. 2009.
- (2015) Urban Trigger Group - Anthology 2005-2015 The Faculty of Architecture and Fine Art. 2015. ISBN 978-82-7551-119-3.
Part of book/report
- (2007) Urbain par implication - Commentaires sur la globalisation et l'urbanisme au 20e siècle. DYNAMIQUES DE LA VILLE - essais de sémiotique de l'espace.
- (2000) Bopælen og det postmoderne/Dwelling and the Postmodern - a conversation with Jean-Francois Lyotard. Skala - udvalgte arbeider fre Skala.
- (1994) Architecture - the Body of Cognition. 1994. ISBN 8254701075.
- (2015) Place and Identity is a dangerous mix. Kunstnerseminar . Østlandsutstillingen; Oslo. 2015-06-06.
- (2014) Jernbanestasjon i Larvik Indre Havn. Jernbanekonferanse . Forum for Næringsutvikling i Larvik; Larvik. 2014-03-27.
- (2013) BY i OLJE - kveler oljen kreativitet og innovasjon?. Norsk Forms årskonferanse 2013 . Norsk Form; Oslo. 2013-10-17 - 2013-10-17.
- (2013) Sino-Norwegian Architecture Forum, XI'AN. Xian University of Architecture and Technology/NTNU, XI'AN. 2013.
- (2013) Toget og Byen - utstilling om tog og byutvikling i Holmestrand. Utstilling innenfor Oslo Arkitekturtriennale [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . NTNU/OAT/Jernbaneverket/Holmestrand Kommune og Næringsråd; Holmestrand. 2013-10-13 - 2013-11-30.
- (2012) Mellom mitt prosjekt og vår by. Byutviklingsseminar i Tromsø . Tromsø Kommune; Tromsø. 2012-11-09.
- (2012) Mellom mitt prosjekt og vår by - prosjektbasert byutvikling. To kulturer møtes . Byprosjektkontoret i Drammen Kommune; Drammen. 2012-04-20.
- (2011) Architecture is A Verb 20x11. 20x11, What is the Question . Norske Arkitekters Landsforbund; Oslo. 2011-04-01.
- (2011) Architecture is a Verb. Felles forelesningsserie . Xi'an University of Architecture and Technology; Xi'an. 2011-10-13.
- (2010) Real Estate and Urbanism. Felles forelesningsserie . ETSAB; Barcelone. 2010-11-30.
- (2010) moderator for Eyal Weizman på seminar om Decolonizing Architecture. Galleri 0047. Utstillingsseminar [Kunstnerisk og museal presentasjon] . Galleri 0047; Oslo. 2010-10-28.
- (2009) - Det handler om omdømmebygging. Jarlsberg avis [Avis]. 2009-04-25.