Background and activities
Born September 18, 1951, Norwegian.
Professor in reservoir engineering, NTNU.
Adjunct Professor, University of Oslo.
Research Associate, PoreLab, Norwegian Center of Excellence.
Siv.ing.( 1975, NTH) and Dr.ing.(1983,NTH) both in petroleum technology /reservoir engineering.
Experience: 40 years of experience in reservoir engineering research and teaching. The research has been laboratory based investigations on oil recovery processes including low salinity flooding, heavy oil recovery techniques, chemical methods (including microbial methods and methods using nanofluids), secondary and tertiary gas injection. Has started several companies together with colleagues ( ResLab (now Weatherford Labs), GeoProbing Technology and Deep Sea Anchors).
Academic and professional committees: Presently member of several international technical and review committees on reservoir engineering / EOR.
Doctoral student supervision: Main supervisor for 25 PhD graduates in reservoir engineering.
Experimental reservoir engineering (routine and special core analysis), Evaluation of fractured reservoirs, Enhanced oil recovery methods, Wettability, Nanofluids for EOR, Pore scale experimental studies of fluid distribution and flow.
Geomechanics and Flow in Porous Media, Unconventional Oil and Gas Reservoirs, Fractured Reservoirs.
Microscopical characteristics of two phase flow in porous media:
Nanofluids for enhanced oil recovery
Nanocellulose for EOR
Wettablility on pore scale
Microfluidics in reservoir engineering
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) A core flood and microfluidics investigation of nanocellulose as a chemical additive to water flooding for EOR. Nanomaterials. vol. 10 (7).
- (2020) Polymer-functionalized silica nanoparticles for improving water flood sweep efficiency in Berea sandstones. E3S Web of Conferences. vol. 146 (02001).
- (2020) Application of Low-Salinity Waterflooding in Carbonate Cores: A Geochemical Modeling Study. Natural Resources Research.
- (2020) Experimental investigation of stability of silica nanoparticles at reservoir conditions for enhanced oil-recovery applications. Nanomaterials. vol. 10 (1522).
- (2020) Dynamic wettability alteration for combined low salinity brine injection and surfactant flooding on silica surface. SN Applied Sciences. vol. 2 (1274).
- (2020) Experimental investigation of the effect of adding nanoparticles to polymer flooding in water-wet micromodels. Nanomaterials. vol. 10 (1489).
- (2019) High-Temperature Core Flood Investigation of Nanocellulose as a Green Additive for Enhanced Oil Recovery. Nanomaterials. vol. 9 (665).
- (2019) Experimental Investigation of Polymer-Coated Silica Nanoparticles for Enhanced Oil Recovery. Nanomaterials. vol. 9 (822).
- (2019) Simulation study of surfactant injection in a fractured core. Journal of Petroleum Exploration and Production Technology. vol. 9 (4).
- (2019) The Impact of Nanoparticle Adsorption on Transport and Wettability Alteration in Water-Wet Berea Sandstone: An Experimental Study. Frontiers in Physics. vol. 7 (74).
- (2019) Polymer Gels Made with Functionalized Organo-Silica Nanomaterials for Conformance Control. Energies. vol. 12 (19).
- (2018) Identification of Nanocellulose Retention Characteristics in Porous Media. Nanomaterials. vol. 8 (7).
- (2018) Description of Free Energy for Immiscible Two‐Fluid Flow in Porous Media by Integral Geometry and Thermodynamics. Water Resources Research. vol. 54 (11).
- (2018) Fluid Topology in Pore Scale Two‐Phase Flow Imaged by Synchrotron X‐ray Microtomography. Water Resources Research. vol. 54 (3).
- (2018) Qualitative and quantitative experimental study of convective mixing process during storage of CO2 in heterogeneous saline aquifers. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 71.
- (2018) Atomistic insights into the nanofluid transport through an ultra-confined capillary. Physical Chemistry, Chemical Physics - PCCP. vol. 20 (7).
- (2017) Qualitative and quantitative experimental study of convective mixing process during storage of CO2 in homogeneous saline aquifers. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control. vol. 66.
- (2016) EOR by Low Salinity Water and Surfactant at Low Concentration: Impact of Injection and in Situ Brine Composition. Energy & Fuels. vol. 30 (4).
- (2016) Low-Salinity-Surfactant Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) with a New Surfactant Blend: Effect of Calcium Cations. Energy & Fuels. vol. 30 (2).
- (2016) Effect of calcium in pore scale oil trapping by low-salinity water and surfactant enhanced oil recovery at strongly water-wet conditions: in situ imaging by X-ray microtomography. Energy & Fuels. vol. 30 (10).