Ole Christian Spro
Background and activities
Currently pursuing a PhD in power electronics with focus on taking full advantage of GaN transistors in application. During the first period of my PhD, I have made measurements on such components in two different applications (PFC converter, wireless power transfer). In addition, I am trying to quantify the additional losses in GaN transistors du to dynamic on-resistance. The last period will be directed towards developing compact and high frequency isolated DCDC converters. My supervisor is Ole-Morten Midtgård
Perivous experience includes two and a half years at SINTEF Energy. My main topic were power electronics for the oil and gas sector. I also investigated a concept for offshore energy storage for wind parks. My MSc work was also in the field of power electronics. I like working experimentally, usually including some programming in Python and C/C++. During the PhD work, I will be the T.A. in 4th year power electronics course for four concequtive years.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) High-Voltage Insulation Design of Coreless, Planar PCB Transformers for Multi-MHz Power Supplies. IEEE transactions on power electronics. vol. 36 (8).
- (2020) Improved SiC MOSFET SPICE model to avoid convergence errors. Materials Science Forum. vol. 1004.
- (2020) Optimized Design of Multi-MHz Frequency Isolated Auxiliary Power Supply for Gate Drivers in Medium-Voltage Converters. IEEE transactions on power electronics. vol. 35 (9).
- (2016) PowerGAMA: A new simplified modelling approach for analyses of large interconnected power systems, applied to a 2030 Western Mediterranean case study. Journal of Renewable and Sustainable Energy. vol. 8 (5).
- (2015) Impact of technical power take-off constraints on the power extraction of unidirectional and bidirectional point absorbers. Compel. vol. 34 (6).
- (2015) Influence of technical limitations and operation on sizing of an offshore energy storage connected to an offshore wind farm. Energy Procedia. vol. 80.
- (2014) North Sea offshore network and energy storage for large scale integration of renewables. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments. vol. 11 (147).
Part of book/report
- (2021) Experimental validation of linear damage superposition for IBGT power modules under high and low temperature stress cycles. PCIM Europe digital days 2021; International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Renewable Energy and Energy Management.
- (2021) Improving monitoring of parallel ageing of IGBT bond-wires and solder layers by temperature compensation. PCIM Europe digital days 2021; International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Renewable Energy and Energy Management.
- (2021) Lifetime Modelling of Power Electronics for Power Electronic Based Power System — A Case for Microgrids. 2021 IEEE/IAS Industrial and Commercial Power System Asia (I&CPS Asia).
- (2021) Low-power high-frequency pcb transformer design with medium-voltage isolation. PCIM Europe digital days 2021; International Exhibition and Conference for Power Electronics, Intelligent Motion, Renewable Energy and Energy Management.
- (2019) Minimization of dead time effect on bridge converter output voltage quality by use of advanced gate drivers. 2019 10th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia - ICPE 2019 - ECCE Asia.
- (2019) High-voltage and high-frequency design of planar transformer with minimum coupling capacitance. EPE'19 ECCE Europe.
- (2018) Challenges of SiC MOSFET Power Cycling Methodology. 20th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications 2018.
- (2018) Driver stage implementation with improved turn-on and turn-off delay for wide band gap devices. 20th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications 2018.
- (2017) Driving of a GaN enhancement mode HEMT transistor with zener diode protection for high efficiency and low EMI. 19th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE'17 ECCE Europe), 2017.
- (2017) Modelling and quantification of power losses due to dynamic on-state resistance of GaN E-mode HEMT. 2017 IEEE 18th Workshop on Control and Modeling for Power Electronics - COMPEL.
- (2016) Development of a full bridge GaN HEMT converter for inductive power transfer application. 2016 IEEE 4th Workshop on Wide Bandgap Power Devices and Applications (WiPDA).
- (2014) Modelling and analysis of large scale solar energy integration in the Moroccan power system. 4th International Workshop on Integration of Solar into Power Systems.
- (2020) Design and optimisation of an auxiliary power supply with medium-voltage isolation using GaN HEMTs. 2020. ISBN 978-82-326-5046-0. Doktoravhandlinger ved NTNU (2020:350).