Background and activities
Ulf Lennart Österberg (1958) is a Professor at the Department of Electronics and Telecommunications. He belongs to the Electrooptics Research Group. He has a PhD from the Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm and an MSc from Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg. He holds citizenships in both Sweden and U.S of America.
Fields of major current interest
Ultrafast Pulse Propagation
Frequency Resolved Optical Gating
Nonlinear Effects in Optical Fibers
- 2014-2017 Program Director, NTNU, Electronics Education
- 2014-2017 Affiliated Professor, Royal University of Technology, Sweden
- 2009- to date Professor, NTNU
- 2005-to date Senior Engineer, Lightkey, LLC
- 2009-2011 Adjunct Professor, Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College
- 1995-2009 Associate Professor, Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College
- 1990-1995 Assistant Professor, Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College
- 1989-1990 Research Fellow, F.J. Seiler Research Laboratory, U.S Air Force Academy
- 1987-1989 Research Associate, University of Arizona, Optical Sciences Center
- 1983-1987 Research Engineer, Institute of Optical Research, Stockholm
- 1982-1983 Lab. Assistant, Chalmers University of Technology, Gøteborg
- Aug-Sep 2005-2009 Chalmers University of Technology, Nonlinear Optics
- July-Dec 2004 University of Queensland, Physics Department
- July 1988 F.J Seiler Research Lab, U.S Air Force Academy
- Dec 1986 Optical Sciences Center, University of Arizona
- March-May 1985, Sept-Nov 1984 Imperial College, Laser Physics Group
Professional society affiliations
- Optical Society of America
- American Physical Society
- Elected member of Norway's Technical and Scientific Academy (NTVA), 2009
- National Science Foundation Presidential Young Investigator 1990-1995
- National Research Council Fellow 1989-1990
- Topical Editor (THz and Spectroscopy), Optics Letters, 2011-2015
- Rotary FROG
Patent, Feb. 19, 2013
Darthmouth College (Armin Ellis, Ulf Østerberg)
- System and Method for Shaping a Waveform
Patent, July 13, 2010
Ulf Østerberg and Colby Dill III
- Electromagnetic Matched Filter Based Multiple Access Communications System
Patent, April 16, 2004
Seung H. Choi, Dennis Healy, Timothy Olson and Ulf Østerberg
- Method for quantitative hemoglobin imaging in tissue with diffuse near-infrared computed tomography
Provisional patent 1999-2000
Troy McBride, Keith Paulsen, Brian Pogue and Ulf Østerberg
Grant Support (federal + industrial)
NFR 2013-2017 NASA 1998-2002 AFOSR 1994-1995
NIST 2007-2009 NIH 1996-2000 NSF 1990-1995
AFOSR 2005-2008 NSF 1998-1999 IBM 1990-1994
Wennergren 2006-2007 NSF 1996-1999 Kodak 1990-1992
NIST 2004-2007 BMDO 1995-1997
Professor Østerberg has supervised 20 MsC graduate students, and 11 PhD graduate students.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Nonlinear optical response and structural properties of MBE-grown Fe:ZnS films. Optical Materials Express. vol. 8 (2).
- (2015) Single-cycle coherent terahertz-pulse propagation in rigid-rotor molecular media. Physical Review A. Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics. vol. 92 (2).
- (2014) Backpropagation and decay of self-induced-transparency pulses. Physical Review A. Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics. vol. 89 (2).
- (2012) Speckle contrast of the sum of N partially correlated speckle patterns. Journal of the Optical Society of America A. vol. 29 (6).
- (2012) Performance of correlated speckle patterns for speckle reduction in laser projectors. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering. vol. 8280.
- (2012) Linear and nonlinear optical precursors in inhomogeneously broadened two-level media. Physical Review A. Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics. vol. 86 (6).
- (2011) Sinusoidal rotating grating for speckle reduction in laser projectors: feasibility study. Optical Engineering: The Journal of SPIE. vol. 50 (8).
- (2011) Multilevel Maxwell-Bloch simulations in inhomogeneously broadened media. Optics Express. vol. 19 (18).
Part of book/report
- (2016) Towards Mid-IR Waveguide Lasers: Transition Metal Doped ZnS Thin Films. 2016 Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics (CLEO), San Jose; United States, 5-10 June 2016.