Background and activities
Professor with the Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science.
Managing director at the Centre for Elite Sports Research.
My research focus on improving the understanding of elite sports performances, mainly by investigating integrative physiology and biomechanics, the effects of strength and endurance training, as well as the utilization of new technology to gain further understanding of these aspects in real-life environments. I also teach these topics in BA and MA courses focusing on training and performance, as well as the top coach education program.
I am additionally head of research and development at the Norwegian Olympic Sports Center (Olympiatoppen), and thereby work on a daily basis with experts, coaches and athletes and to optimize the interaction between research and “best practice”.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Peak oxygen uptake in Paralympic sitting sports: A systematic literature review, meta- and pooled-data analysis. PLoS ONE. vol. 13 (2).
- (2018) Comparison of peak oxygen uptake and exercise efficiency between upper-body poling and arm crank ergometry in trained paraplegic and able-bodied participants. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 118 (9).
- (2018) Examination of gas exchange and blood lactate thresholds in Paralympic athletes during upper-body poling. PLoS ONE. vol. 13 (10).
- (2018) Exercise-induced trunk fatigue decreases double poling performance in well-trained cross-country skiers. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 118 (10).
- (2018) The effect of exhaustive exercise on the choice of technique and physiological response in classical roller skiing. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 118.
- (2018) On the importance of “front-side mechanics” in athletics sprinting. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. vol. 13 (4).
- (2018) New records in human power. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. vol. 13 (6).
- (2018) The Effect of Maximal Speed Ability, Pacing Strategy, and Technique on the Finish Sprint of a Sprint Cross-Country Skiing Competition. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance.
- (2018) Power production and biochemical markers of metabolic stress and muscle damage following a single bout of short-sprint and heavy strength exercise in well-trained cyclists. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9:155.
- (2018) Comparison of the Effects of Performance Level and Sex on Sprint Performance in the Biathlon World Cup. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. vol. 13 (3).
- (2018) Strength determinants of jump height in the jump throw movement in women handball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- (2018) Mathematical modelling of the oxygen uptake kinetics during whole-body endurance exercise and recovery. Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems. vol. 24 (1).
- (2018) The long-term development of training, technical, and physiological characteristics of an Olympic Champion in Nordic Combined. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9.
- (2018) Automatic Classification of Sub-Techniques in Classical Cross-Country Skiing Using a Machine Learning Algorithm on Micro-Sensor Data. Sensors. vol. 18 (1).
- (2018) Practical implementation of strength training to improve the performance of world-class cross-country skiers. Kinesiology. vol. 50.
- (2018) Effects of initial performance, gross efficiency and VO_2peak characteristics on subsequent adaptations to endurance training in competitive cyclists. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9.
- (2018) Sex-based differences in speed, sub-technique selection, and kinematic patterns during low- and high-intensity training for classical cross-country skiing. PLoS ONE. vol. 13 (11).
- (2018) Training characteristics during pregnancy and postpartum in the world's most successful cross country skier. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9:595 (MAY).
- (2017) Comparison of Peak Oxygen Uptake and Test-Retest Reliability of Physiological Parameters between Closed-End and Incremental Upper-Body Poling Tests. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 8.
- (2017) Does prospective control of preparatory heart rate responses occur during biathlon events?. Frontiers in Psychology.