Background and activities
Professor with the Department of Neuromedicine and Movement Science.
Managing director at the Centre for Elite Sports Research.
My research focus on improving the understanding of elite sports performances, mainly by investigating integrative physiology and biomechanics, the effects of strength and endurance training, as well as the utilization of new technology to gain further understanding of these aspects in real-life environments. I also teach these topics in BA and MA courses focusing on training and performance, as well as the top coach education program.
I am additionally head of research and development at the Norwegian Olympic Sports Center (Olympiatoppen), and thereby work on a daily basis with experts, coaches and athletes and to optimize the interaction between research and “best practice”.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Comparison of Mitochondrial Respiration in M. triceps brachii and M. vastus lateralis Between Elite Cross-Country Skiers and Physically Active Controls. Frontiers in Physiology.
- (2019) Mechanical energetics and dynamics of uphill double-poling on roller-skis at different incline-speed combinations. PLoS ONE. vol. 14 (2).
- (2019) The Interval-Based Physiological and Mechanical Demands of Cross-Country Ski Training. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance.
- (2019) The Contribution From Cross-Country Skiing and Shooting Variables on Performance Level and Sex Differences in Biathlon World Cup Individual Races. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. vol. 14 (2).
- (2019) Comparison of Physiological and Perceptual Responses to Upper-, Lower-, and Whole-Body Exercise in Elite Cross-Country Skiers. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. vol. 33 (4).
- (2018) Peak oxygen uptake in Paralympic sitting sports: A systematic literature review, meta- and pooled-data analysis. PLoS ONE. vol. 13 (2).
- (2018) Comparison of peak oxygen uptake and exercise efficiency between upper-body poling and arm crank ergometry in trained paraplegic and able-bodied participants. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 118 (9).
- (2018) Examination of gas exchange and blood lactate thresholds in Paralympic athletes during upper-body poling. PLoS ONE. vol. 13 (10).
- (2018) The influence of increased distal loading on metabolic cost, efficiency, and kinematics of roller ski skating. PLoS ONE. vol. 13 (5).
- (2018) Exercise-induced trunk fatigue decreases double poling performance in well-trained cross-country skiers. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 118 (10).
- (2018) The effect of exhaustive exercise on the choice of technique and physiological response in classical roller skiing. European Journal of Applied Physiology. vol. 118 (11).
- (2018) On the importance of “front-side mechanics” in athletics sprinting. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. vol. 13 (4).
- (2018) New records in human power. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. vol. 13 (6).
- (2018) The Effect of Maximal Speed Ability, Pacing Strategy and Technique on the Finish-Sprint of a Sprint Cross-Country Skiing Competition. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance.
- (2018) Power production and biochemical markers of metabolic stress and muscle damage following a single bout of short-sprint and heavy strength exercise in well-trained cyclists. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9:155.
- (2018) Comparison of the Effects of Performance Level and Sex on Sprint Performance in the Biathlon World Cup. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. vol. 13 (3).
- (2018) Strength determinants of jump height in the jump throw movement in women handball players. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research.
- (2018) Mathematical modelling of the oxygen uptake kinetics during whole-body endurance exercise and recovery. Mathematical and Computer Modelling of Dynamical Systems. vol. 24 (1).
- (2018) The long-term development of training, technical, and physiological characteristics of an Olympic Champion in Nordic Combined. Frontiers in Physiology. vol. 9.
- (2018) Automatic Classification of Sub-Techniques in Classical Cross-Country Skiing Using a Machine Learning Algorithm on Micro-Sensor Data. Sensors. vol. 18 (1).