Krishna Kanta Panthi
Background and activities
Professor of Geological Engineering. 30 years of experience in research and implementation of rock engineering, tunnelling and hydropower projects.
On going and future research projects:
- NORHED II Project 70141 6; Capacity Building in Higher Education within Rock and Tunnel Engineering in Nepal – Project Manager, Supervising Professor for 4 PhD fellows from the Institute of Engineering (IoE), Nepal. The project aims to produce 4 PhDs and 90 MSc graduates in Rock and Tunnel Engineering in 6 years period (2021-2026).
- FME HydroCen (Norwegian Research Centre for Hydropower Technology) – Project Manager, Research Member of the Technical Committee and Supervisor of two PhD Projects for Work Package One (WP 1.1) - Hydropower Structures Innovation – Tunnels.
- Establishment of MSc Program in "Rock and Tunnel Engineering" at the Institute of Engineering (IOE) of Tribhuvan University in Nepal
- Effects of swelling rock mass on the stability and support requirement in water tunnels
- Impact of peaking operation in water tunnels due to frequent start / stop
- Applicability of unlined/shotcretelined high pressure tunnels in the Himalaya
- Plastic deformation and tunnel squeezing
- Water inflow and injection grouting for watertight tunnels
- Longterm stability of waterway system for hydropower
- Deformation behavior of concrete dams
Completed research collaboration projects:
- Applicability of unlined/shotcretelined high pressure tunnels in the Himalaya
- Decesive Parameters for Open Pit Slopes (DePOPS)
- Stability of tunnels subject to plastic deformation - a contribution based on the cases from the Nepal Himalaya - Main Supervisor to the PhD thesis written by Dr. Pawan Kumar Shrestha (2014)
- Developing future 20 000 MW hydroelectric power in Norway with pumped storage: CEDREN project (Hydro PEAK) implemented through GEMINI-center (2011).
- Underground gas storage project: An EEA project, which was implemented in cooperation between IGB, SINTEF Bygg and the Czech Technical University in Prague (2009)
- Probable dynamics and possible course of events of the burst debris flood” at the inclined shaft of Svandalsflona hydropower project on 9th May 2009 (2009).
Commission member, external advisory, panel of expert
- Department's representative at the Norwegian Hydropower Center (NVKS)
- FME HydroCen (Norwegian Research Centre for Hydropower Technology) – a research initiative of national importance within renewable energy sector in Norway and is funded by NFR. Involved as scientific advisor in issues related to engineering geology and tunnel stability issues, research member of the technical committee, scientific advisor and main supervisor of two PhD Projects for Work Package One (WP 1.1) - Hydropower structures innovation (2017 - 2024).
- ISRM commission member for hard rock tunnelling (2011 - 2016)
- External advisor: Geolab Nepal (NORAD/PEEDA/KU)
- Panel of Expert: Mristi Hydropower Project, Nepal (2013 - 2017)
- Panel of Expert: Super Dordi Hydropower Project, Nepal (2016 - 2021)
- Panel of Expert: Upper Kontum HPP Vietnam (complete)
- September 2018 - to date: Professor at NTNU
- June 2008 - September 2018: Associate Professor at NTNU
- May 2006 - May 2008: Consultant - Tunnelling and Hydropower for projects - Rothang Pass Tunnel and Parbati II HPP in India and Mristi HPP, Madi HPP (lower and supper), Middle Modi etc. in Nepal.
- January 2002 - April 2006: PhD research fellow at NTNU
- July 1998 - December 2001: Construction Manager for Khimti HPP
- January 2001 - May 2001: Technical Auditing for Kaligandaki "A" HPP for the Editor General Office of Nepal (an special assignment)
- August 1996 - June 1998: MSc Fellow (NORAD) for Hydropower Development at NTNU
- August 1994 - July 1996: Manager - Planning and Contracts at Himal Hydro
- November 1992 - July 1994: Tunnel Engineer for Jhimruk HPP
- GEOL3093 - Special Course for the Master's Thesis
- TGB4570 - Engineering Geology, Specialization Project
- TGB5110 - Engineering Geology and Tunnelling, Basic Course
- BYGT2316 - Engineering Geology - Rock
- TGB4190 - Engineering Geology of Rocks, Advanced Course
- TGB4185 - Engineering Geology, Basic Course
- GB8303 - Stablity of Rock Slopes
- GEOL3092 - Special Course for the Master's Thesis
- TGB4212 - Rock Mechanics, Advanced Course
- TGB4575 - Engineering Geology, Specialization Course
- GB8310 - Stress Induced Instability in Tunnels and Caverns
- GEOL3095 - Master's Thesis in Geology
- TGB4945 - Engineering Geology, Master's Thesis
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Capacity Enhancement in Rock and Tunnel Engineering in Nepal. Nepal Journal of Science and Technology. vol. 20 (2).
- (2021) Evaluation of in-situ stress state along the shotcrete lined high-pressure headrace tunnel at a complex Himalayan geological condition. Geosystem Engineering. vol. 24 (1).
- (2021) Evaluation on the Efect of Pressure Transients on Rock Joints in Unlined Hydropower Tunnels Using Numerical Simulation. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 54.
- (2021) Cyclic fatigue in unlined hydro tunnels caused by pressure transients. International journal on hydropower and dams. vol. 2021 (Issue 5).
- (2021) Operation of Norwegian Hydropower Plants and Its Effect on Block Fall Events in Unlined Pressure Tunnels and Shafts. Water. vol. 13 (11).
- (2021) Assessment on the 2014 Jure Landslide in Nepal – a disaster of extreme tragedy. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 833.
- (2021) Fluid Flow and Leakage Assessment Through an Unlined/Shotcrete Lined Pressure Tunnel: A Case from Nepal Himalaya. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 54.
- (2021) A review of the testing approaches in swelling rock conditions at three different institutions. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (EES). vol. 833.
- (2021) Compositional Features and Swelling Potential of Two Weak Rock Types Affecting Their Slake Durability. Geotechnics. vol. 1 (9).
- (2021) Investigation on the Effect of Cyclic Moisture Change on Rock Swelling in Hydropower Water Tunnels. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 54.
- (2020) Detailed engineering geological assessment of a shotcrete lined pressure tunnel in the Himalayan rock mass conditions: a case study from Nepal. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. vol. 79 (Issue 1).
- (2020) Effect of power plant operation on pore pressure in jointed rock mass of an unlined hydropower tunnel: An experimental study. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 53 (Issue 7).
- (2020) An analysis on the slaking and disintegration extent of weak rock mass of the water tunnels for hydropower project using modified slake durability test. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. vol. 79 (Issue 4).
- (2019) Evaluation on the Minimum Principal Stress State and Potential Hydraulic Jacking from the Shotcrete-Lined Pressure Tunnel: A Case from Nepal. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering. vol. 52 (7).
- (2019) Slope stability assessment of an open pit mine using three-dimensional rock mass modeling. Bulletin of Engineering Geology and the Environment. vol. 78 (2).
- (2019) Assessment on the hydrogeological condition of an open pit mine based on piezometric measurements. Journal of Mining Engineering & Research. vol. 1 (1).
- (2019) Evaluation of earthquake impact on magnitude of the minimum principal stress along a shotcrete lined pressure tunnel in Nepal. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. vol. 11 (5).
- (2019) Evaluation on the TBM Performance at a Hydropower Project in Ecuador. Hydro Nepal: Journal of Water, Energy and Environment. vol. January 2019 (Issue no. 24).
- (2018) Analysis of unlined pressure shafts and tunnels of selected Norwegian hydropower projects. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. vol. 10 (3).
- (2018) Roughness evaluation in shotcrete-lined water tunnels with invert concrete based on cases from Nepal. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering. vol. 10 (1).