Background and activities
Director, NTNU Japan Program (since 2005). Specializes in Japanese foreign and security policies, East Asian international politics, including regional security multilateralism, Japanese domestic politics, and Japanese and East Asian approaches to renewable energy.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2017) Decentering from the US in regional security multilateralism: Japan's 1991 pivot. The Pacific Review.
- (2015) Japan's approach to maritime security in the South China Sea. Asian Survey. vol. 55 (3).
- (2012) Enter The Dragon! An Empirical Analysis of Chinese versus US Arms Transfers to Autocrats and Violators of Human Rights,1989 - 2006. International Studies Quarterly. vol. 56 (4).
- (2012) By land and by sea: the potential of EU - Japan security cooperation. Japan forum. vol. 24 (3).
- (2012) Post-war Japanese realism and strategy toward China: introduction to a mini-special issue of translations. Japan forum. vol. 24 (4).
- (2008) Challenging the Democratic Peace? Historical Memory and the Security Relationship between Japan and South Korea. Pacific Focus. vol. 23 (2).
- (2007) Japan: Frå trussel til Trua?. Hvor hender det?.
- (2006) Japanese Public Opinion and the War on Terrorism: Implications for Japan’s Security Strategy. Policy Studies.
- (2017) The Japanes Ground Self-Defense Force, Search for Legitimacy. Palgrave Macmillan. 2017. ISBN 978-1-137-56531-0.
- (2014) Eldercare Policies in Japan and Scandinavia - Aging Societies East and West. Palgrave Macmillan. 2014. ISBN 978-1-137-40262-2.
- (2014) The Political Economy of Renewable Energy and Energy Security: Common Challenges and National Responses in Japan, China and Northern Europe. Palgrave Macmillan. 2014. ISBN 9781137338860.
- (2011) Rethinking Japanese Public Opinion and Security: From Pacifism to Realism?. Stanford University Press. 2011. ISBN 9780804772174.
- (2008) Japanese Public Opinion and the War on Terrorism. Palgrave Macmillan. 2008. ISBN 0230606431.
Part of book/report
- (2017) Conclusion. The Japanes Ground Self-Defense Force, Search for Legitimacy.
- (2017) The GSDF's Quest for Public Acceptance and the "Allergy" Myth. The Japanes Ground Self-Defense Force, Search for Legitimacy.
- (2017) The Impact of Public Opinion on Japan’s Aid Policy: Before and After the New Development Assistance Charter. Japanese Development Cooperation: The making of an aid architecture pivoting to Asia.
- (2017) Introduction. The Japanes Ground Self-Defense Force, Search for Legitimacy.
- (2015) Energy. The Sage Handbook of Modern Japanese Studies.
- (2015) Japan-United States Relations. The Sage Handbook of Modern Japanese Studies.
- (2015) Sino-Japanese Conflict and Reconciliation in the East China Sea. The China-Japan Border Dispute, Islands of Contention in Multidisciplinary Perspective.