Background and activities
My main scientific interest are in development of new hydrogel-based materials and composites, as well as in understanding of their properties. To do this we apply a range of material characterization techniques. Recently, we have established a new technique to form alginate gels, an approach which is compatible with 3D printing, microfluidic-based cell encapsulation, injectable preparations and large scale bubble and solid free mouldable gels. We have also developed a model system to study mineralisation of alginate and PEG hydrogels. In addition to work on biomaterials, my group has ongoing activities within bionanotechnology, in particular applications of nanofabrication to studies of cells. In the past I have worked extensively in the field of polymer physics and structural studies of crystalline polymers and biopolymers.
2001 Ph.D. in Polymer Physics, University of Bristol, UK 2002. Ph.D. thesis supervisor: Prof. E.D.T. Atkins
1998 M.Sc. in Material Science, with distinction, Wroclaw Univ. of Science and Technology, Poland
|2011 - present||Professor, Department of Physics, NTNU|
|2005-2011||Associate Professor, Department of Physics, NTNU|
|2002-2005||Post.Doc., Department of Physics/Department of Biotechnology, NTNU|
|2001-2002||Research Associate, Department of Physics, University of Bristol, UK|
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2021) Application of Temporary, Cell-Containing Alginate Microcarriers to Facilitate the Fabrication of Spatially Deﬁned Cell Pockets in 3D Collagen Hydrogels. Macromolecular Bioscience.
- (2021) Tailoring the assembly of collagen fibers in alginate microspheres. Materials Science and Engineering C: Materials for Biological Applications. vol. 121.
- (2021) Analysis of Actin and Focal Adhesion Organisation in U2OS Cells on Polymer Nanostructures. Nanoscale Research Letters. vol. 16 (1).
- (2021) A sample cell for the study of enzyme-induced carbonate precipitation at the grain-scale and its implications for biocementation. Scientific Reports. vol. 11.
- (2021) Calcite seed-assisted microbial induced carbonate precipitation (MICP). PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (2).
- (2020) Electroconductive scaffolds for tissue engineering applications. Biomaterials Science. vol. 8 (20).
- (2020) Electron Beam Lithography Fabrication of SU-8 Polymer Structures for Cell Studies. Journal of microelectromechanical systems. vol. 29 (2).
- (2020) Tunable Fibrin-Alginate Interpenetrating Network Hydrogels to Support Cell Spreading and Network Formation. Acta Biomaterialia. vol. 108.
- (2020) Microbial-induced calcium carbonate precipitation: an experimental toolbox for in situ and real time investigation of micro-scale pH evolution. RSC Advances. vol. 10 (35).
- (2019) Influence of Nanopillar Arrays on Fibroblast Motility, Adhesion, and Migration Mechanisms. Small. vol. 15 (43).
- (2019) Bio-instructive materials for musculoskeletal regeneration. Acta Biomaterialia. vol. 96.
- (2019) Towards a low CO2 emission building material employing bacterial metabolism (1/2): The bacterial system and prototype production. PLOS ONE. vol. 14 (4).
- (2019) Stabilisation of amorphous calcium phosphate in polyethylene glycol hydrogels. Acta Biomaterialia. vol. 90.
- (2019) Formation of Hydroxyapatite via Transformation of Amorphous Calcium Phosphate in the Presence of Alginate Additives. Crystal Growth & Design. vol. 19 (12).
- (2019) Local Structure of Ca2+ Alginate Hydrogels Gelled via Competitive Ligand Exchange and Measured by Small Angle X-Ray Scattering. Gels. vol. 5 (1).
- (2017) Transformation of brushite to hydroxyapatite and effects of alginate additives. Journal of Crystal Growth. vol. 468.
- (2016) Competitive ligand exchange of crosslinking ions for ionotropic hydrogel formation. Journal of materials chemistry. B. vol. 4 (37).
- (2016) DCPD-alginate composites: a bioactive material for bone tissue engineering. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology.
- (2016) Controlled mineralisation and recrystallisation of brushite within alginate hydrogels. Biomedical Materials. vol. 11 (1).
- (2016) A correlative spatiotemporal microscale study of calcium phosphate formation and transformation within an alginate hydrogel matrix. Acta Biomaterialia. vol. 44.