Background and activities
I have a background in population ecology from the Department of Biology at NTNU, with a focus on the effects of climate and density on population dynamics in Svalbard reindeer.
Currently I’m affiliated as a PhD candidate at the Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) at NTNU. My research will focus on effects of climate and harvest on Svalbard reindeer population dynamics and genetics with relevance for management of large herbivores.This will be part of SUSTAIN – “Sustainable management of renewable resources in a changing environment: an integrated approach across ecosystems”, which is in close collaboration with Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis (CEES) at University of Oslo (UiO), CBD at NTNU and Department of Arctic and Marine Biology at University of Tromsø (UiT).
I enjoy field work in remote areas, and have experience with reindeer and seabirds on Svalbard, as well as humpback whales and kangaroos in Australia. Some of my interests are population dynamics, population genetics, species interactions, R, biotelemetry, conservation and management.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Spatiotemporal patterns of rain-on-snow and basal ice in high Arctic Svalbard: detection of a climate-cryosphere regime shift. Environmental Research Letters. vol. 14.
- (2019) Spatial heterogeneity in climate change effects decouples the long‐term dynamics of wild reindeer populations in the high Arctic. Global Change Biology. vol. 25 (11).
- (2019) Sea ice loss increases genetic isolation in a high Arctic ungulate metapopulation. Global Change Biology. vol. 26 (4).
- (2017) Climate and density dependence cause changes in adult sex ratio in a large Arctic herbivore. Ecosphere. vol. 8 (2).
- (2013) Tetraploids do not form cushions: association of ploidy level, growth form and ecology in the High Arctic Saxifraga oppositifolia L. s. lat. (Saxifragaceae) in Svalbard. Polar Research. vol. 32.
- (2019) Svalbard reindeer (Rangifer tarandus platyrhynchus). A status report. 2019. ISBN 978-82-7666-427-0. Rapportserie (Norsk polarinstitutt) (151).
- (2019) Population dynamics under climate change and harvesting: Results from the high Arctic Svalbard reindeer. Norges teknisk-naturvitenskapelige universitet. 2019. ISBN 978-82-326-4133-8.
- (2019) Human impacts on the distribution, abundance and population genetics of the Svalbard reindeer. 2019.
- (2018) When ground-ice replaces fjord-ice: results from a study of GPS-collared Svalbard reindeer females. 2018. ISBN 978-82-7666-421-8. Norwegian Polar Institute Brief Report Series (049).
- (2017) Klimaeffektar på svalbardreinens kalvingstidspunkt. 2017. ISBN 978-82-426-2999-9. NINA rapport (1311).
- (2014) Effects of Climate and Animal Density on Adult Sex Ratio Variation in a Large Herbivore. 2014.