Peter Sjolte Ranke
Background and activities
The PhD-candidate position is a part of Centre for Biodiversity Dynamics (CBD) at the Department of biologi, NTNU.
Study species: house sparrow
Study systems: Helgeland, Vikna, Lauvøya
Main aim: investigate demographic and environmental causes for dispersal among populations, and consequences of dispersal both on individual level and on population level, e. g. potential genetic contribution from a disperser in a population.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Ectoparasite load of small mammals in the Serengeti Ecosystem: effects of land use, season, host species, age, sex and breeding status. Parasitology Research. vol. 121 (3).
- (2022) Resident bird species track inter-annual variation in spring phenology better than long-distance migrants in a subalpine habitat. Climate Change Ecology.
- (2021) Variation in generation time reveals density regulation as an important driver of pace of life in a bird metapopulation. Ecology Letters. vol. 24.
- (2021) Home Range and Excursive Post-Breeding Movements of Eurasian Eagle-Owls Revealed by GPS Satellite Transmitters. The Journal of raptor research. vol. 55 (4).
- (2021) Community spatial distance and educational determinants of how local people appreciate conservation benefits around Tarangire and Saadani National Parks, Tanzania. Global Ecology and Conservation. vol. 28.
- (2021) Lion and spotted hyena distributions within a buffer area of the Serengeti-Mara ecosystem. Scientific Reports. vol. 11.
- (2021) No evidence of host-specific egg mimicry in Asian koels. PLOS ONE. vol. 16 (7).
- (2021) Spatial structure and dispersal dynamics in a house sparrow metapopulation. Journal of Animal Ecology. vol. 90.
- (2021) Dispersal in a house sparrow metapopulation: An integrative case study of genetic assignment calibrated with ecological data and pedigree information. Molecular Ecology. vol. 30.
- (2020) A dead giveaway: Foraging vultures and other avian scavengers respond to auditory cues. Ecology and Evolution. vol. 10.
- (2020) Do carnivore surveys match reports of carnivore presence by pastoralists? A case of the eastern Serengeti ecosystem. Global Ecology and Conservation. vol. 24:e01324 (e01324).
- (2020) How does human disturbance affect brood parasitism and nest predation in hosts inhabiting a highly fragmented landscape?. Global Ecology and Conservation. vol. 24.
- (2020) Consistent scaling of inbreeding depression in space and time in a house sparrow metapopulation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. vol. 117 (25).
- (2020) Multi‑generational genetic consequences of reinforcement in a bird metapopulation. Conservation Genetics. vol. 21.
- (2019) Characterizing morphological (co)variation using structural equation models: Body size, allometric relationships and evolvability in a house sparrow metapopulation. Evolution. vol. 73 (3).
- (2019) Drivers of conservation crimes in the Rungwa-Kizigo-Muhesi Game Reserves, Central Tanzania. Global Ecology and Conservation. vol. 17.
- (2019) Human habituation reduces hyrax flight initiation distance in Serengeti. Ethology. vol. 126 (3).
- (2018) Inferences of genetic architecture of bill morphology in house sparrow using a high-density SNP array point to a polygenic basis. Molecular Ecology. vol. 27 (17).
- (2017) Demographic influences of translocated individuals on a resident population of house sparrows. Oikos. vol. 126 (10).
- (2015) GPS-loggers influence behaviour and physiology in the black-legged kittiwake Rissa tridactyla. Marine Ecology Progress Series. vol. 521.