Background and activities
Phil Green is 0.5 Professor in Colour Imaging at the Department of Computer Science at NTNU in Gjøvik. He has an MSc from the University of Surrey, UK, and a PhD in Gamut Mapping and Colour Appearance from the Colour & Imaging Institute, University of Derby, UK.
Phil is a member of the Norwegian Colour and Visual Computing Laboratory at NTNU. He teaches postgraduate students, supervises research students and engages in his own research.Research interests
- Colour management
- Colour appearance
- Colour difference
- Metrology for colour and appearance
- Colour vision deficiency
- Characterization methods
- Colour in medical imaging
Phil is course responsible for the following courses at NTNU:
- IMT4301 Colour in medical imaging
- IMT4304 Cross-media colour reproduction
- IMT4315 Colour in interface design
- IMT4884 Advanced colour management
- IMT6201 Colour science
- Technical Secretary, International Color Consortium
- Visiting Professor, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology
- Principal Expert to ISO TC130 JWG7 Colour Management
- Project leader for a number of ISO Graphic Technology standards in development
If Mjøsa is not frozen I have the best commute in Norway, rowing down the lake to Gjøvik harbour. Apart from rowing I enjoy hiking, climbing, canyoning, cycling, scuba diving and occasionally trail running.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Color appearance processing using iccMAX. IS&T International Symposium on Electronic Imaging Science and Technology.
- (2018) New gamut boundary target for defining the colour gamut of a printing system. IS&T International Symposium on Electronic Imaging Science and Technology.
- (2018) A Model of Visual Opacity for Translucent Colorants. IS&T International Symposium on Electronic Imaging Science and Technology.
- (2017) Methods of describing a gamut boundary based on a face/vertex encoding. IS&T International Symposium on Electronic Imaging Science and Technology. vol. 2017-January.
- (2017) Content-dependent adaptation in a soft proof matching experiment. IS&T International Symposium on Electronic Imaging Science and Technology. vol. 2017-January.
- (2016) Characterizing coated paper surface for modeling apparent dot area of halftone prints. Optics Express. vol. 24 (2).
- (2016) Colour vision deficiency transforms using ICC profiles. IS&T International Symposium on Electronic Imaging Science and Technology. vol. Part F129934.
- (2015) Characterizing unprinted paperboard surface for predicting optically induced halftone mottle. Nordic Pulp & Paper Research Journal. vol. 30 (3).
- (2015) Gamut evaluation of an n-colour printing process with the minimum number of measurements. Color Research and Application. vol. 40 (4).
- (2015) Metrics for comparing and analyzing two colour gamuts. Color Research and Application. vol. 40 (5).
- (2014) Consistency and Standardization of Color in Medical Imaging: a Consensus Report. Journal of digital imaging. vol. 28 (1).
- (2014) Modeling optically induced halftone mottle from the variability of lateral light scattering by the unprinted paper surface. Journal of Print and Media Technology Research. vol. 3 (3).
- (2014) Modeling optically induced halftone mottle from variability of lateral light scattering of unprinted paper surface. Advances in Printing and Media Technology. vol. XLI(I).
- (2014) Characterisation of the n-colour printing process using the spot colour overprint model. Optics Express. vol. 22 (26).
- (2014) Color separation of an n-color printing process using inverse printer models. Journal of Imaging Science and Technology. vol. 58 (5).
- (2013) Comparison of Real Colour Gamuts Using A New Reflectance Database. Color Research and Application.
- (2012) Colour perception with changes in levels of illumination. Proceedings of SPIE, the International Society for Optical Engineering.
- (2012) Lightfastness of Paperboards Coated with UV-Cured Varnish. TAGA Journal.
- (2012) White point adaptation issues in colour management. China Printing and Packaging Study. vol. 4 (6).
Part of book/report
- (2018) Methods for psychophysical assessment of colour difference by observers with a colour vision deficiency. 2018 Colour and Visual Computing Symposium (CVCS); 19th and 20th September, 2018, Gjøvik, Norway.