Background and activities
I have a PhD in Water and Environmental Engineering from the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU). My research interest include water and wastewater treatment in developed and developing countries, wastewater reuse/recycling, smart water systems, impact of climate change on water infrastructure and health risk modelling in water/wastewater systems. With several years of experience in the water and sanitation sector, I have been involved in projects across Europe, Latin America, South East Asia, West Africa East Africa and Southern Africa. I have led or acted as a principal investigator in a number of projects funded by the Research Council of Norway (RCN), NORAD, Bill & Mellinda Gates Foundation, United Nations, Google, European Union (EU) and Industry. I have consulted for a number of international organisations on water and sanitation related issues including the UN-Habitat. In 2015, I was appointed as a technical advisor of the World Health Organisation (WHO) committee on wastewater and microbiology. I am currently the research leader of the Water and Environmental Engineering Group at NTNU in Ålesund.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Detection of Water Safety Conditions in Distribution Systems Based on Artificial Neural Network and Support Vector Machine. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing. vol. 845.
- (2019) Climate-driven QMRA model for selected water supply systems in Norway accounting for raw water sources and treatment processes. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 660.
- (2018) Concentration of soil-transmitted helminth eggs in sludge from South Africa and Senegal: A probabilistic estimation of infection risks associated with agricultural application. Journal of Environmental Management. vol. 206.
- (2018) Removal of helminth eggs by centralized and decentralized wastewater treatment plants in South Africa and Lesotho: health implications for direct and indirect exposure to the effluents. Environmental science and pollution research international. vol. 25 (13).
- (2018) An efficient data-driven water control model based on extreme machine learning. The 11th Nordic Drinking Water Conference . Nordic Water Association; Oslo. 2018-06-11 - 2018-06-13.
- (2018) Comparative predictive modelling of the occurrence of faecal indicator bacteria in a drinking water source in Norway. Science of the Total Environment. vol. 628-629.
- (2018) Machine learning – based detection of water contamination in water distribution systems. Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference ; Tokyo. 2018-07-15 - 2018-07-17.
- (2018) Predictive analysis of microbial water quality using machine-learning algorithms. Aplinkos tyrimai, inzinerija ir vadyba. vol. 74 (1).
- (2018) Climate driven integrated hydrodynamic-QMRA model for predicting infection risks-Ålesund Water Supply as a case study. The 11th Nordic Drinking Water Conference . Nordic Water Association; Oslo. 2018-06-11 - 2018-06-13.
- (2018) Wastewater Management in Ålesund Kommune: Status, performance,impacts and suggested secondary wastewater treatment processes. 2018.
- (2017) Adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system for predicting norovirus in drinking water supply. 2017 International Conference on Informatics, Health & Technology (ICIHT).
- (2017) Comparison of Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System (ANFIS) and Gaussian Process for Machine Learning (GPML) Algorithms for the Prediction of Norovirus Concentration in Drinking Water Supply. Transactions on Large-Scale Data- and Knowledge-Centered Systems XXXV.
- (2017) Random forest tree for predicting fecal indicator organisms in drinking water supply. 2017 International Conference on Behavioral, Economic Advance in Behavioral, Economic, Sociocultural Computing (BESC).
- (2017) Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System for Predicting Norovirus in Drinking Water Supply. IEEE International Conference on Informatics, Health & Technology (ICIHT) . IEEE; Riyadh. 2017-02-21 - 2017-02-23.
- (2016) Sanitation, Wastewater Management and Sustainability: from Waste Disposal to Resource Recovery. 2016. ISBN 978-92-807-3488-1.
- (2015) iGeoTrans – a novel iOS application for GPS positioning in geosciences. Geocarto International. vol. 30 (2).
- (2014) Multiple Linear Regression Models for Estimating Microbial Load in a Drinking Water Source: Case from the Glomma River, Norway. Vann. vol. 49 (3).
- (2014) Evaluating the Trend and Extreme Values of Faecal Indicator Organisms in a Raw Water Source: A Potential Approach for Watershed Management and Optimizing Water Treatment Practice. Environmental Processes. vol. 1 (3).
- (2013) Norwegian drinking water supply systems and risk management: guidelines, directives and microbial risk assessment. Vann. vol. 04.
- (2013) Risikovurdering, vann og United Nations Economic Commission for Europe(UNECE). Risikovurderinger og vannhygiene . Norsk Vannforening; Oslo. 2013-01-30 - 2013-01-30.
- (2011) Microbial exposure and health assessments in sanitation technologies and systems. 2011. ISBN 978-91-86125-36-3.