Background and activities
2010- Head of Landslides group, Geological Survey of Norway
2008-2010 Senior researcher, Geological Survey of Norway
2008-2012 Project manager "Stability of rock slopes", Excellence Centre ICG
2006-2008 Scientific coordinator, Multinational Andean Project, Geological Survey of Canada
2004-2006 Senior researcher, Geological Survey of Canada
2001-2004 Researcher, GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam, Germany
2000-2001 Post-doc, Coordinator of the Graduate Programm "Natural Disasters", Karlsruhe Technical University, Germany
1999-2000 Post-doc, University of Potsdam, Germany
1995-1999 PhD Position, University of Potsdam
My research focuses on rock slope stability and integrates neotectonics, paleoseismology, Quaternary landscape development and the technical and societal responds to landslide threat. Research topics include:
- Hazard and rsik classification
- Sedondary effects of rock slope failures such as damming and displacement waves
- Integration of Quaternary dating techniques such as Cosmogenic Nuclide dating, luminescence dating, tephrochronology, carbon 14 dating
- Integration of monitoring data, ground, airborne, and satellite remote sensing data with field baseed structural geology and geomorphology
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Back analysis of shear strength parameters of a large rockslide in Sikkim Himalaya. Journal of Rock Mechanics and Tunnelling Technology. vol. 26 (2).
- (2020) The formation and impact of landslide dams - State of the art. Earth-Science Reviews. vol. 203:103116.
- (2020) Permafrost as a first order control on long-term rock-slope deformation in (Sub-)Arctic Norway. Quaternary Science Reviews. vol. 251.
- (2020) Integration of landslide hazard into urban planning across Europe. Landscape and Urban Planning. vol. 196.
- (2020) Semi-empirical prediction of dam height and stability of dams formed by rock slope failures in Norway. Natural hazards and earth system sciences. vol. 20 (11).
- (2020) Airblasts caused by large slope collapses. Geological Society of America Bulletin.
- (2019) Comparison of monitoring data with paleo–slip rates: Cosmogenic nuclide dating detects acceleration of a rockslide. Geology. vol. 47 (4).
- (2019) How significant is inheritance when dating rockslide boulders with terrestrial cosmogenic nuclide dating?-a case study of an historic event. Landslides. Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides. vol. 16 (4).
- (2019) Anatomy of a mega-rock slide at Forkastningsfjellet, Spitsbergen and its implications for landslide hazard and risk considerations. Norwegian Journal of Geology. vol. 99 (1).
- (2019) Permafrost distribution in steep rock slopes in Norway: measurements, statistical modelling and implications for geomorphological processes. Earth Surface Dynamics. vol. 7 (4).
- (2019) Changes in ground deformation prior to and following a large urban landslide in la Paz, Bolivia, revealed by advanced InSAR. Natural hazards and earth system sciences. vol. 19 (3).
- (2018) Multiple rock-slope failures from Mannen in Romsdal Valley, western Norway, revealed from Quaternary geological mapping and 10Be exposure dating. The Holocene. vol. 28 (12).
- (2018) SPLASH: semi-empirical prediction of landslide-generated displacement wave run-up heights. Geological Society Special Publication. vol. 477 (1).
- (2017) Rock avalanches clusters along the northern Chile coastal scarp. Geomorphology. vol. 289.
- (2017) Landslide databases in the Geological Surveys of Europe. Landslides. Journal of the International Consortium on Landslides.
- (2017) From incipient slope instability through slope deformation to catastrophic failure — Different stages of failure development on the Ivasnasen and Vollan rock slopes (western Norway). Geomorphology. vol. 289.
- (2017) Subaqueous rock-avalanche deposits exposed by post-glacial isostatic rebound, Innfjorddalen, Western Norway. Geomorphology. vol. 289.
- (2016) Gravitational reactivation of a pre-existing post-Caledonian fault system: the deep-seated gravitational slope deformation at Middagstinden, western Norway. Norsk Geologisk Tidsskrift. vol. 96 (3).
- (2016) Gravitational slope deformation, not neotectonics: Revisiting the Nordmannvikdalen feature of northern Norway. Norsk Geologisk Tidsskrift. vol. 96 (3).
- (2015) Database and online map service on unstable rock slopes in Norway — From data perpetuation to public information. Geomorphology. vol. 249.