Background and activities
Dr. Richard Hann is a postdoc researcher at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) on the topic of icing on unmanned aerial vehicles. In 2013, he has graduated with excellence from the University of Stuttgart in Germany as an aerospace engineer. After working for three years the petroleum industry as an upstream project engineer, he returned to academia and finished his PhD on icing of unmanned aircraft in 2020. He is part of the Center of Excellence on Autonomous Marine Operations and Systems (NTNU-AMOS) and Centre for Integrated Remote Sensing and Forecasting for Arctic Operations (CIRFA). Richard has more than 8 years of experience with numerical and experimental icing aerodynamics on wind turbines and aircraft. Today, he is one of the leading researchers in the emerging research field of icing on unmanned aircraft. He holds a position as lead aerodynamics engineer and shareholder at UBIQ Aerospace. Richard is also promoting the application of drone technology in the Arctic with several ongoing projects in the fields of meteorology, glaciology, and atmospheric pollution at the University Centre of Svalbard (UNIS).
- Aerospace engineering
- Anti- & de-icing
- Numerical simulations
- Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV)
- Upstream static mechanical engineering
- Cold climate wind energy
- Environmental forensics
- Arctic fieldwork
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2020) Experimental and numerical icing penalties of an S826 airfoil at low Reynolds numbers. Aerospace. vol. 7 (46).
- (2020) Atmospheric Deposition of Organochlorine Pesticides and Industrial Compounds to Seasonal Surface Snow at Four Glacier Sites on Svalbard, 2013-2014. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 54 (15).
- (2020) Deposition of Polychlorinated Biphenyls to Firn and Ice Cores at Opposite Polar Sites: Site M, Dronning Maud Land, Antarctica, and Holtedahlfonna, Svalbard. ACS Earth and Space Chemistry. vol. 4 (11).
- (2020) Long range path planning using an aircraft performance model for battery powered sUAS equipped with icing protection system. IEEE Journal on Miniaturization for Air and Space Systems.
- (2019) UAV Icing: Ice Accretion Experiments and Validation. SAE technical paper series. vol. 2019-June (June).
- (2019) Experimental Investigations of an Icing Protection System for UAVs. SAE technical paper series. vol. 2019-June (June).
- (2019) Derivation of flow rate and calibration method for high-volume air samplers. Atmospheric Measurement Techniques. vol. 12 (9).
- (2016) Polychlorinated Biphenyls in tree bark near former manufacturing and incineration facilities in Sauget, Illinois, United States. Environmental Science and Technology. vol. 50 (12).
Part of book/report
- (2020) Optimal Mission Planning for Fixed-Wing UAVs with Electro-Thermal Icing Protection and Hybrid-Electric Power Systems. 2020 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS).
- (2020) Design of a low-speed icing wind tunnel for UAVs. Deutscher Luft- und Raumfahrtkongress 2020.
- (2019) UAV Icing: Comparison of LEWICE and FENSAP-ICE for Anti-Icing Loads. AIAA Scitech 2019 Forum.
- (2018) Aerodynamic modeling of the Skywalker X8 Fixed-Wing Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. 2018 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems.
- (2018) UAV Icing: Comparison of LEWICE and FENSAP-ICE for Ice Accretion and Performance Degradation. 2018 Atmospheric and Space Environments Conference.
- (2017) Impact of Atmospheric Icing on UAV Aerodynamic Performance. 2017 Workshop on Research, Education and Development of Unmanned Aerial Systems (RED-UAS).
- (2020) Unsettled Topics in Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Icing. Society of Automotive Engineers. 2020.