Background and activities
- Energy systems, markets and infrastructure.
- Policy analysis
- Decision making under uncertainty - stochastic (equilibrium) modeling and algorithms.
- Global and regional (bio)energy markets.
- Energy-Economic-Environmental modeling.
2016/09- present Professor of Managerial Economics, NTNU
2017/10 - present Academic coordinator Master's in Sustainable Energy Systems and Management (SESAM)
2013/06- 2015/09 Associate Professor of Managerial Economics, NTNU
2016/04-present Associate Editor Energy Strategy Reviews
2015/02-2017/09 Head of Research Section Managerial Economics, Finance and Operations Research
2011/01-present (Senior) Researcher, SINTEF Applied Economics and Operations Research, Trondheim
2013/01-present, Research Fellow, DIW Berlin (The German Institute for Economic Research)
2011/01-2013/05 Postdoc, Industrial Economics and Technology Management, NTNU & SINTEF Technology and Society
2005/08-2010/11 PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Maryland, USA
2002/11-2005/04 Scientific Researcher, Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands, Amsterdam, NLD
1998/03-2002/09 Operations Research Consultant, ORTEC Consultants b.v., Gouda, NLD
1991/08-1997/10 Masters of Business Econometrics, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam, NLD
- SET-Nav, Navigating the Roadmap for Clean, Secure and Efficient Energy Innovation (EC H2020 LCE-21), leader of work package "Comparative Assessment: technology / policy options and pathways"
- Linking of energy systems, general economic and climate and environmental footprint models.
Industrial Economic Analysis TIØ 4118 http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/courses/TIØ4118
Experts in Team work TIØ 4855 http://www.ntnu.no/eit/tio4855
- Alex Luisi, PhD Candidate at NTNU, main supervisor - Flexibility in Energy Systems (2018-E2022)
- Ulf Johansson, PhD Candidate at NTNU, main supervisor, Regional Economic Policy, (2012-E2018)
- Pedro Crespo del Granado, Post doc at NTNU, main supervisor, Energy Systems (2017-2018)
- Hector Maranon-Ledesma, PhD Candidate at NTNU, co-supervisor, Energy Systems, (2015-E2019)
- Thorsten Burandt, PhD Candidate at NTNU and TU Berlin, co-supervisor, Energy Systems (2017-E2021)
- Vegar Østli, PhD Candidate at NTNU, co-supervisor, Low-carbon transport, (2017-E2020)
- Vegard Bjerketvedt, PhD Candidate at NTNU, co-supervisor, Carbon Capture and Storage (2018-E2021)
- Several master student groups at NTNU.
PhD Defense committees:
- Daniel Huppmann, June 2014, DIW Berlin.
- Tobias Baltensperger, Sept 2015, ETH Zurich
- Pao-Yu Oei, Dec 2015, TU Berlin
- Mauro Vicarro, Jan 2017, Basillicata, Italy
- Stig Ottesen, Mar 2017, NTNU
- Florian Perrotton, Dec 2017, Université Paris Nanterre, France
- Angel Gonzalez, Dec 2017, USC, Santiago De Compostela, Spain
Research profiles online:
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2018) Batteries and Electricity Market Design for Residential Prosumers. IAEE International Conference.
- (2018) Norway’s role in the European Energy Transition. Energy Strategy Reviews. vol. 20.
- (2018) Regional policy and the role of interregional trade data: policy simulations with a model for Norway. Regional Studies, Regional Science. vol. 5 (1).
- (2018) Local electricity market designs for peer-to-peer trading: The role of battery flexibility. Applied Energy. vol. 229.
- (2018) Prosumer integration in wholesale electricity markets: Synergies of peer-to-peer trade and residential storage. Energy and Buildings. vol. 184.
- (2017) Risk aversion in imperfect natural gas markets. European Journal of Operational Research. vol. 259 (1).
- (2016) Linear decision rules for hydropower scheduling under uncertainty. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems. vol. 32 (1).
- (2016) Risks in global natural gas markets: Investment, hedging and trade. Energy Policy. vol. 94.
- (2016) Stochastic Modeling of Natural Gas Infrastructure Development in Europe under Demand Uncertainty. Energy Journal. vol. 37 (SI3).
- (2016) The role of natural gas in a low-carbon Europe: Infrastructure and supply security. Energy Journal. vol. 37 (SI3).
- (2016) The role of transmission and energy storage for integrating large shares of renewables in Europe. IAEE Energy Forum. vol. Q1.
- (2015) The Role of China in the Global Natural Gas Market. ESI Bulletin - National University of Singapore. vol. 8 (1).
- (2015) A global perspective on the future of natural gas: Resources, trade, and climate constraints. Review of Environmental Economics and Policy. vol. 9 (1).
- (2014) Market power, fuel substitution and infrastructure - A large-scale equilibrium model of global energy markets. Energy. vol. 75.
- (2014) Stochastic Mixed-Integer Programming for Integrated Portfolio Planning in the LNG Supply Chain. Energy Journal. vol. 35 (1).
- (2013) Benders Decomposition for multi-stage stochastic mixed complementarity problems - Applied to a global natural gas market model. European Journal of Operational Research. vol. 226 (2).
- (2013) Drivers, trends, and uncertainty in long-term price projections for energy management in public buildings. Energy Policy. vol. 62.
- (2012) Cartelization in Gas Markets: Studying the Potential for a “Gas OPEC”. Energy Economics. vol. 34 (1).
Part of book/report
- (2017) Stochastic modeling of imperfect markets. Stochastic Programming: Theory, Applications and Impacts.
- (2015) BLOMST - An Optimization Model for the Bioenergy Supply Chain. Handbook of Bioenergy.
- (2014) Feasibility of Linear Decision Rules for Hydropower Scheduling. 2014 International Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems (PMAPS).
- (2012) Investigating a CO2 Tax and a Nuclear Phase Out with a Multi-Fuel Market Equilibrium Model. 2012 9th International Conference on the European Energy Market (EEM 2012).
- (2018) Energy Scenarios and Methodological Developments. 41st IAEE International Conference . International Association for Energy Economics; Groningen. 2018-06-10 - 2018-06-13.
- (2018) Risk aversion in energy markets. International Conference on Computational Management Science . NTNU, CMS Journal, EURO Working Groups Stoch Optim; Trondheim. 2018-05-29 - 2018-05-31.
- (2018) The role of natural gas in the European energy transition. 12th Conference on Energy Economics and Technology - ENERDAY . Technical University Dresden; Dresden. 2018-04-27 - 2018-04-27.
- (2017) Insights in the LCE 21 projects Linking models. Energy Modeling Platform - Europe . Reiner Lemoine Institut, KTH, EC and others; Brussels. 2017-05-17 - 2017-05-18.
- (2017) Linking models in SET-Nav. Energy Modeling Platform - Europe . Reiner Lemoine Institut, KTH, EC and others; Brussels. 2017-05-17 - 2017-05-18.
- (2015) Challenges in Stochastic Equilibrium Modeling for Energy Markets. Automatic Control Seminar . ETH; Zurich. 2015-09-10 - 2015-09-10.
- (2015) Risk aversion in imperfect natural gas market - Shale gas investment in Poland and Ukraine. 17th British-French-German (BFG) Conference on Optimization . Imperial College London; London. 2015-06-16 - 2015-06-16.
- (2014) Practical insights from a global multi-energy market and infrastructure model. CenSES Årskonferanse 2014 . CenSES; Oslo. 2014-12-04 - 2014-12-05.
- (2014) Role of China in the world gas market. China Energy Forum 2014 ; 2014-10-02 - 2014-10-03.
- (2014) A multi-fuel market equilibrium model and case studies. Seminar . DTU Dept of Management Engineering, Systems Analysis Group; Copenhagen. 2014-04-11 - 2014-04-11.
- (2014) The Role of China in the Global Natural Gas Market. Forum: Opportunities and Challenges in China’s Energy Development – Energy and Carbon Markets . Energy Studies Institute, National University of Singapore; Singapore. 2014-10-02 - 2014-10-03.
- (2013) An SCGE model integrating the energy system and the regional economy. CREE meets CenSES . Frisch Center; Oslo. 2013-10-24 - 2013-10-24.
- (2013) Benders Decomposition for solving multi-stage stochastic mixed complementarity problems. EURO/INFORMS 2013 26th European Conference on Operational Research . EURO & INFORMS; Rome. 2013-07-01 - 2013-07-04.
- (2013) Instruments of Climate and Energy Policy in a Multi-Fuel Market Equilibrium Model. Research Seminar of Environment, Resources, Climate Economics (RSERC) . TU Berlin & DIW Berlin; Berlin. 2013-11-28 - 2013-11-28.
- (2012) A rolling horizon heuristic for optimal trading in the LNG spot market. The Fifth Nordic Optimization Symposium . NTNU; Trondheim. 2012-06-07 - 2012-06-09.
- (2011) The Value of Flexibility and Optimal Trading Strategies in the LNG Supply Chain. INFORMS . INFORMS; Charlotte, NC. 2011-11-13 - 2011-11-16.