Seyed Ali Amirshahi
Background and activities
Seyed Ali Amirshahi recieved his bachelors degree in 2008 from Amirkabir University of Technology (Tehran Polytechnic) in Electrical Engeneering. In 2010 he graduated from the Master Erasmus Mundus program in Color in Informatics and MEdia Technology (CIMET). He finished his PhD at the Computer Vision Group at the Friedrich Schiller University of Jena (Germany) in March 2015. The title of his work was “Aesthetic Quality Assessment of Paintings” and was supervised by Prof. Joachim Denzler, and Prof. Chris Redies.
Dr Amirshahi was then employed as a Post Doctoral Fellow at the computer vision group at the International Computer Science Institute (ICSI) (Berkeley, California). Prior to joining NTNU as an associate professor he was a Marie Curie Post Doctoral Fellow at the Norwegian Colour and Visual Computing Laboratory, and also a guest researcher at the Laboratoire de Traitement et Transport de l'Information (L2TI), Institute Galilée, University Paris 13, France.
Scientific, academic and artistic work
Displaying a selection of activities. See all publications in the database
- (2019) Do Contrast Measures Correlate? A Pilot Investigation. European Workshop on Visual Information Processing. vol. 2019-October.
- (2019) How Do Image Quality Metrics Perform on Contrast Enhanced Images?. European Workshop on Visual Information Processing. vol. 2019-October.
- (2019) Future Directions in Image Quality. Final program and proceedings (Color and Imaging Conference).
- (2019) Comparing the Chromatic Contrast Sensitivity in Vertical and Oblique Orientations. Final program and proceedings (Color and Imaging Conference).
- (2018) Reviving traditional image quality metrics using CNNs. Final program and proceedings (Color and Imaging Conference). vol. 26.
- (2016) Preference for well-balanced saliency in details cropped from photographs. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
- (2014) Evaluating the Rule of Thirds in Photographs and Paintings. Art & Perception.
- (2013) Statistical image properties of print advertisements, visual artworks and images of architecture. Frontiers in Psychology.
- (2013) From regular text to artistic writing and artworks: Fourier statistics of images with low and high aesthetic appeal. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience.
- (2012) Human optic sensitivity computation based on singular value decomposition. Optica Applicata.
- (2010) Adaptive non-negative bases for reconstruction of spectral data from colorimetric information. Optical Review.
- (2008) Reconstruction of reflectance spectra using weighted principal component analysis. Color Research and Application.
- (2015) Aesthetic Quality Assessment of Paintings. 2015. ISBN 978-3-8439-2191-6.
- (2013) JenAesthetics-a Public Dataset of Paintings for Aesthetic Research. 2013.
- (2019) DO CONTRAST MEASURES CORRELATE? A PILOT INVESTIGATION. European Workshop on Visual Information Processing ; 2019-10-28 - 2019-10-31.
- (2019) HOW DO IMAGE QUALITY METRICS PERFORM ON CONTRAST ENHANCED IMAGES?. European Workshop on Visual Information Processing ; 2019-10-28 - 2019-10-31.
- (2018) Semantic Analysis of (Reflectional) Visual Symmetry: A Human-Centred Computational Model for Declarative Explainability. Advances in Cognitive Systems ; 2018-08-18 - 2018-08-20.
- (2018) CNN Feature Similarity: Paintings Are More Self-Similar at All Levels. Colour and Visual Computing Symposium. (CVCS) ; 2018-09-19 - 2018-09-20.
- (2017) Using Color Difference Equations for Calculating Gradient Images. International Conference on Signal Image Technology & Internet Based Systems. (SITIS) . SITIS; Jaipur. 2017-12-04 - 2017-12-07.
- (2017) Judging Aesthetic Quality in Paintings Based on Artistic Inspired Color Features. The International Conference on Digital Image Computing: Techniques and Applications (DICTA) ; Sydney. 2017-11-29 - 2017-12-01.
- (2014) Jenaesthetics subjective dataset: Analyzing paintings by subjective scores. Workshop at the European Conference on Computer Vision, ECCV ; 2014-09-06 - 2014-09-12.
- (2013) Color: A Crucial Factor for Aesthetic Quality Assessment in a Subjective Database of Paintings. 12th Congress of the International Colour Association (AIC) ; 2013-07-08 - 2013-07-12.
- (2013) How self-similar are artworks at different levels of spatial resolution?. Symposium on Computational Aesthetics ; 2013-07-19 - 2013-07-21.
- (2012) PHOG analysis of self-similarity in aesthetic images. S&T/SPIE Electronic Imaging ; 2012-01-22 - 2012-01-26.
- (2012) PHOG-Derived Aesthetic Measures Applied to Color Photographs of Artworks, Natural Scenes and Objects. Workshop at the European Conference on Computer Vision, ECCV ; 2012-10-07 - 2012-10-13.
- (2011) Spatial-temporal Video Quality Metric based on an estimation of QoE. Third International Workshop on Quality of Multimedia Experience (QoMEX) ; 2011-09-07 - 2011-09-09.
- (2008) IfN/Farsi-Database: A Database of Farsi Handwritten City Names. International Conference on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition ; 2008-08-19 - 2008-08-21.
- (2007) A new approach for image quality assessment using SVD. 9th International Symposium on Signal Processing and Its Applications, 2007. ISSPA 2007 ; 2007-02-12 - 2007-02-15.