Background and activities
Kristian Seip (1962) is a Professor at the Department of Mathematical Sciences since 1993. He has been Department Chair (1997 – 2001) and Vice Dean for Education at the Faculty of Information Technology, Mathematics and Electrical Engineering (2006 – 2012). He is a member of the Analysis Group. Professor Seip has a MSc, and a PhD both from NTNU. His research areas are currently operator related function theory and analytic number theory.
Recent Professional Experience at foreign institutions
- 2016 One month position as visiting researcher at Université de Lille 1
- 2014 One month position in “Postgraduate Excellence Program” at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid
- 2009/2010 Visiting Professor, Université de Provence (Aix-Marseille I), one month
- 2003 Fred and Lois Gehring Professor of Mathematics, University of Michigan
- 2001 June/July Visiting Professor, Université Bordeaux I
- Visiting Scholar, Centre de Recerca Matemàtica, Barcelona,1997 (September), 1999 (June – July), 2000 (June – July), 2011 (June – July)
Honors and Awards
- European Mathematical Society Lecturer 2012
- Invited Speaker, International Congress of Mathematicians, Berlin 1998
- Inaugural Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, 2012
- The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters (DNVA), elected member since 2005
- The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (DKNVS), elected member since 2001
- Norwegian Academy of the Technological Sciences (NTVA), elected member since 1999
Leadership of research projects with external funding
- Co-leader (with Yurii Lyubarskii) of the 2012–2013 program “Operator-Related Function Theory and Time-Frequency Analysis”, Centre for Advanced Study, Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, Oslo
- PI of several projects funded by the Research Council of Norway (RCN), including “Nonlinear Problems in Mathematical Analysis” (2008–2013), “Dirichlet Series and Analysis on Polydiscs” (2013–2018), and (from August 2019) the FRIPRO/Toppforsk project "Combinatorial Methods in Analysis" (2018–2022).
- Node Coordinator of EU Research Training Network “Classical Analysis, Operator Theory, Geometry of Banach Spaces, Their Interplay and Their Applications”, 2000–2004.
- MA2106 - Complex Function Theory and Differential Equations
- MA6102 - Basis Calculus 2
- MA3150 - Analytic Number Theory
- TMA4170 - Fourier Analysis
- MA1102 - Basic Calculus 2
Scientific, academic and artistic work
A selection of recent journal publications, artistic productions, books, including book and report excerpts. See all publications in the database
- (2022) Hilbert points in Hardy spaces. Algebra i Analiz. vol. 34 (3).
- (2022) Riesz projection and bounded mean oscillation for Dirichlet series. Studia Mathematica. vol. 262 (2).
- (2021) A converse to the Schwarz lemma for planar harmonic maps. Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications. vol. 497 (2).
- (2021) Idempotent Fourier multipliers acting contractively on H^p spaces. Geometric and Functional Analysis. vol. 31 (6).
- (2020) A footnote to a theorem Halász. Functiones et Approximatio Commentarii Mathematici. vol. 63 (1).
- (2020) Universality and distribution of zeros and poles of some zeta functions. Journal d'Analyse Mathematique. vol. 141.
- (2019) Linear space properties of H^p spaces of Dirichlet series. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society. vol. 372 (9).
- (2019) Volterra operators on Hardy spaces of Dirichlet series. Journal für die Reine und Angewandte Mathematik. vol. 2019 (754).
- (2018) Pseudomoments of the Riemann zeta function. Bulletin of the London Mathematical Society. vol. 50 (4).
- (2018) Extreme values of the Riemann zeta function and its argument. Mathematische Annalen. vol. 372.
- (2018) Note on the resonance method for the Riemann zeta function. Operator Theory: Advances and Applications. vol. 261.
- (2018) Contractive inequalities for Hardy spaces. Functiones et Approximatio Commentarii Mathematici. vol. 59 (1).
- (2017) Large greatest common divisor sums and extreme values of the Riemann zeta function. Duke mathematical journal. vol. 166 (9).
- (2016) Approximation numbers of composition operators on H^p spaces of Dirichlet series. Annales de l'Institut Fourier. vol. 66 (2).
- (2016) Gal-type GCD sums beyond the critical line. Journal of Number Theory. vol. 166.
- (2016) Helson's problem for sums of a random multiplicative function. Mathematika. vol. 62 (1).
- (2016) The multiplicative Hilbert matrix. Advances in Mathematics. vol. 302.
- (2015) GCD sums from Poisson integrals and systems of dilated functions. Journal of the European Mathematical Society (Print). vol. 17 (6).
- (2015) Convergence of series of dilated functions and spectral norms of GCD matrices. Acta Arithmetica. vol. 168 (3).
- (2015) An inequality of Hardy-Littlewood type for Dirichlet polynomials. Journal of Number Theory. vol. 150.